Motorcraft and Pronto filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the motorcraft FL500S filter, which crosses to an AcDelcoPF63, be safely used on a GM 4.3 DI engine? I'm just concerned due to different bypass specs. When you look up the Wix cross for a 500S, it gives a Wix 57502 with aa 22 psi bypass versus the PF63 cross which is a Wix 57045, and has a 12-15 psi bypass. However Baldwin filters crosses to a B7449 for both an FL500S and PF63. So in other words is it safe to use a motorcraft filter in place of the AcDelco and vice versa? Truck in question is a 2015 Chevy 1500 with the 4.3

Secondly, my buddy has a 2013 Impala 3.6 DI with 145k miles. As I've mentioned before he goes till the OLM hits 0% with the cheapest Dexos oil and filters, no problems yet. We will be removing the manifold soon to change the spark plugs soon so I'll get a good look at the buildup on the valves. He found a local parts store where he can get Pronto filters (Chinese made) for around $2.49 each. So with Supertech 5W30, he can do an oil change for around $25. Should the Supertech with the Pronto filter be fine for an oil change down to 0%? Doing this the OLM usually hits 0 around 5000-5500 miles each time.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
However Baldwin filters crosses to a B7449 for both an FL500S and PF63. So in other words is it safe to use a motorcraft filter in place of the AcDelco and vice versa? Truck in question is a 2015 Chevy 1500 with the 4.3

Short answer = YES. It is safe.

Is there enough room to spin a FL-820S (PH2, TG2, XG2) sized filter up there?

Secondly, my buddy ...goes till the OLM hits 0% with the cheapest Dexos oil and filters, ....Should the Supertech with the Pronto filter be fine for an oil change down to 0%? Doing this the OLM usually hits 0 around 5000-5500 miles each time.

Try it and find out. Curious to see what the oil filters look like when cut open.

He can't spend another 30 cents and get a SuperTech oil filter?

Harvest King Dexos oil at Atwoods in Texas is only $12 a jug. He could be doing oil changes for $15!

Linctex, thanks for the quick responses on both this post and the one about the Motorcraft oil.

I am looking into getting a Longacre filter cutter soon so I'll definitely do that.

The only Supertech offered is the smaller PF48 (for reference) size.

He'll be leaving next week to start a job in Texas, I would tell him to get his oil changed there but he has only trusted me since he bought the car 80k miles ago.

The only Supertech offered is the smaller PF48 (for reference) size

It is still big enough. They get installed on 5.3's all the time.

BTW......

the absolutely biggest oil filter (about 1/2" longer than a PH or XG2) you can get in 22mm

is the Luber-Finer PH26, or the Wix 51372 (Napa 1372) Oil Filter

Principal Application: Ford/Lincoln/Mercury (91-10), Mazda (00-09), Cadillac STS-V, XLR-V (06-09)

I bought some Pronto filters and they look really well made. I would trust them over some common brands.

I used to always toss a few random oil filters into every RockAuto order I placed

But, walmart has has so many on clearance the last year or so, I have enough to last quite a while.

Can the motorcraft FL500S filter, which crosses to an AcDelcoPF63, be safely used on a GM 4.3 DI engine? I'm just concerned due to different bypass specs. When you look up the Wix cross for a 500S, it gives a Wix 57502 with aa 22 psi bypass versus the PF63 cross which is a Wix 57045, and has a 12-15 psi bypass. However Baldwin filters crosses to a B7449 for both an FL500S and PF63. So in other words is it safe to use a motorcraft filter in place of the AcDelco and vice versa? Truck in question is a 2015 Chevy 1500 with the 4.3

Secondly, my buddy has a 2013 Impala 3.6 DI with 145k miles. As I've mentioned before he goes till the OLM hits 0% with the cheapest Dexos oil and filters, no problems yet. We will be removing the manifold soon to change the spark plugs soon so I'll get a good look at the buildup on the valves. He found a local parts store where he can get Pronto filters (Chinese made) for around $2.49 each. So with Supertech 5W30, he can do an oil change for around $25. Should the Supertech with the Pronto filter be fine for an oil change down to 0%? Doing this the OLM usually hits 0 around 5000-5500 miles each time.

Yes and yes.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
BTW......

the absolutely biggest oil filter (about 1/2" longer than a PH or XG2) you can get in 22mm

is the Luber-Finer PH26, or the Wix 51372 (Napa 1372) Oil Filter

Principal Application: Ford/Lincoln/Mercury (91-10), Mazda (00-09), Cadillac STS-V, XLR-V (06-09)

Also AC Delco PF26, similar to the Luber Finer PH26.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=PF26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back