Winter wonderland!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
ATV'ing in the snow. Had a great tour out in the boons today with my buddy, we broke 90% of the trail with our quads, only happened upon a couple of sections where others had been before us. Were out for a good four hours, it was -11C (12F) which wasn't too bad with a few layers on, but it cooled off a bit as we began to lose daylight (-14C, 7F) and that made it a bit cold through the helmet.

All-in-all, a great day with some absolutely beautiful scenery!

Stopped and did a bit of plinking with the .22's at the hunting camp on the way back as well, which put a nice end to the day.

Looks like an incredible place to be! Whats the range on an ATV with a full tank? 4 hours seems like quite a bit of riding.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Whats the range on an ATV with a full tank? 4 hours seems like quite a bit of riding.

My AC 450 holds over 5 gallons. I get nervous around 100 miles of riding.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Looks like an incredible place to be! Whats the range on an ATV with a full tank? 4 hours seems like quite a bit of riding.

Depends on the riding. I still had 3/4 of a tank after this jaunt, we can go for a full day and if it is just casual through the woods stuff, I may end up with 1/4 tank at the end of it. It's injected, so I think that's a part of it. Mine is a tad harder on fuel than my buddy's 850, but the difference is almost insignificant.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
That looks amazing and like a total blast of fun.

It really is. Some of the deep snow areas, I swore we were going to get stuck, but we never did. Closest we came was going through the swamp at very close to the beginning of the trip where the snow had insulated what was below it, making the ice really thin, which we readily broke through. Mashing that up slowed you down, but they pawed on through it.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
Be careful. Several people in my area died while ATV'ing when they hit the trees.

Generally, one doesn't go fast enough to make that an issue. If you are flying through this stuff, you are doing it wrong.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Generally, one doesn't go fast enough to make that an issue. If you are flying through this stuff, you are doing it wrong.

Yes, given the terrain there, it looks to be slow going on a sled, too. There isn't much snow here right now, so snowmobiling isn't much of an option. It's also -31 C, so I'm not exactly running to an ATV, either.

Nice pics! I lived in Maine in the 60s and 70s and enjoyed snow shoeing in the woods. At times the snow was three feet deep. Again, thanks for posting.
thankyou2.gif

Beautiful!

Every year I start to worry about winter coming. Then it hits with a vengeance and I love it :p

It's -28 in Ottawa this morning. We're in a cold spell for the next week or so.

It's the magic kingdom. I remember it well. I grew up in NW Michigan, north and east of Travers City. My bones can't take that kind of cold anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back