Got the PS4 & VR Headset Setup Today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I went ahead and bought it for my Christmas present to myself LoL. I'd originally bought a PS4, VR Skyrim Bundle, and PowerA charging stand for my son and daughter-in-law for Christmas early gift giving last week. They both chuckled upon opening the PS4 box first because unbeknownst to me they'd already bought one a few weeks prior, but they were thrilled with the VR headset bundle and the charging stand.

So I kept the PS4 for myself and ordered the VR Headset & Skyrim bundle which was delivered today.

Got it setup and still have some wire stowing/management to do to improve how it all looks as a setup. The headset was kind of a pain to get configured and tuned in and I'm still not 100% sure I've got the view angle right but it's close. I'm not going to be a fanboy and praise it in lieu of any faults I discover and I have found so far that the main part that holds the screen and lenses needs to be hinged on the rigid headband thing, and it's not ... that I can find anyways. In order to get the facial curtaining or whatever to flush up good and seal out all light around the edges I can't pull the headband down in the back like it shows you're supposed to do. When I do that the screen/lens module's rubber flashing/curtaining pulls away from my cheeks under the eyes and lets light in and screws up focus too. So I have to leave the back side of the headband high on the rear of my head until i figure it out if I'm not doing something right yet, but a simple friction or viscous hinge between the headband assembly and the screen/lens module would solve the problem because you could keep the module on place as the hinge allowed the headband to adjust down in back. It could still be that I'm not doing something right, so all that is a tentative conclusion at this point.

Before the game started in 3D stereoscopic, looking at the 2D pre-game menu screen it was the same scale as if you are sitting in the movie theater about, I don't know, 10 or 15 rows back from the screen. Once the game starts you lose all perception of any 2D screen and you're in a 3D world. You turn your head and it's the same as turning your head looking around in real life, same with up and down-- the game world is all around, above, and below you and in 3D which works rather well actually. That effect will be very useful if it is the same in upcoming Ace Combat 7.

The [Skyrim] game characters are scaled creepy close to 1:1 sizing with real people. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, the game that's bundled with it is a special release for PS4 VR as far as I know and not bad, but graphically it looks a little dated, and not because your're seeing 960x1080 resolution (1920x1080 in two side by side halves rendered in stereo offset for each lens to create the 3D effect) but because the graphics are just somewhat dated in this game. As games go, the genre is not at all my cup of tea-- I'm a first person shooter (call of duty) guy and a flight "sim" guy for the most part, but I can find fun in the first person fantasy/medieval role playing sword and magic stuff too, up to a point. The VR bundle came with two 'move' controllers that look like small wands with balls on the end. Haven't tried those yet as they need to be charged overnight. I also need to google how to activate the earphones, nothing in the paper work I could find.

Please let me know what you think and if you think it's worth it. I'm playing Skyrim now and the thought of a VR version is pretty appealing!

My future brother-in-law has the regular PS4 and PSVR and it seems there are issues with motion sickness due to the lower frame-rates. I recently upgraded my PS4 for a PS4 Pro for $148 (via Amazon trade-in), and will be keeping an eye out for a deal on the PSVR v2 headset, which recently came out (with almost no media attention.)

Just grabbed SkyRim for my brother in law, hes very into video games. While I play myself, hes the type that dedicates 5+ hours a day on the weekends. Which, for me, seems a little excessive for a 34 year old man with a house and responsibilities. Unless its a rainy day, I try to not turn it on until its dark and everything is done for the day, although on a rainy saturday I have put a decent amount of hours in. I picked Fallout 4 back up after letting it sit for a year, and now iM kinda hooked again.

Oh, it's worth it. Messed with Skyrim some more last night for about 90 min straight in the headset. The vertigo or motion disorientation is real and I don't think it matters the frame rate. I got the regular black PS4 1 Terabyte (TB), it auto-updated to the newest firmware upon firing it up. Also the newest version of the headset CUH-ZVR2 released in November, it also auto-updated it's firmware upon fire up. The PS4 of course wants an internet connection, and it connected to my 2.4Ghz WiFi without issue.

While playing Skyrim sitting down the vertigo effect wasn't as much, but I'm telling you when you play it standing up which is a lot more natural, the vertigo can creep up on you when you're walking or running and making turns or maneuvers. I was on guard for it because my son (28 yrs old) told me he fell down once while in a sword fight using the Move controllers. Felt myself starting to sway while going up stairways fast and other things here and there.

The VR effect is accurate to scale for most everything except the wolves and a few tame dogs looked a little larger than normal although I think the wolves were supposed to be.

Your line of sight in the game adjusts height when you stand up from physically crouching (not keypad crouch-- actually bent knee crouch or ducking and weaving as you stand playing the game.) Up to a point, anyway. Looking down however you don't have a CG body in the game, although it does render a pair of CG fists and wrists.

The VR headset comes with a Processing Unit which is a small black box about 5x4x1" dimensions and it connects to the PS4 console at the front USB, same USB the game controller connects to PS4 with, so unless you want to constantly be plugging and unplugging the game controller's USB cord to charge it you'll want a charging station for the controller and any accessories you get such as the Move controllers or the Aim (gun styled) controller.

The headset connects to the Processing Unit, and so on.

My tv is old and has only one HDMI port so today I'm going to go get a 2-into-1 switchable HDMI splitter so I can connect the Chromecast back up to stream SlingTV, Netflix, et al, to the TV from my phone. There is a PS4 app for Android and iOs but I think all it does is let the phone act as to operate the PS4 and turn it on/off and sleep it.

bdcardinal get ready, a racing game will be incredible in full VR 3D !!

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Loneranger, do you get motion sickness in other situations? Boat? Rough plane ride?

Nope. I think with the VR it is caused by the brain not liking that the eyes are sending spatial orientation info that doesn't match what the body is doing.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Loneranger, do you get motion sickness in other situations? Boat? Rough plane ride?

Nope. I think with the VR it is caused by the brain not liking that the eyes are sending spatial orientation info that doesn't match what the body is doing.

You're correct. Imagine what it does to people who get motion sickness somewhat easily. If the industry can't fix this it could be a problem in the future when VR becomes part of job training etc. A new minority category in the future to worry about.

I finally got this set up last night. It wasn't exactly hard but there is quite a mess of wires to deal with and I don't know how you could possibly connect everything and keep it clean. The PS4's lack of a rear USB port for things like the VR's CPU box is disappointing. And the cable is thankfully long but the material the jacket is made of is very grippy so it drags on whatever clothing you're wearing as you move your head around. Annoying but workable.

That said, the end result is pretty cool. The VR effect is much better in some things than others and sometimes the resolution looks a bit low, but overall it's fun. I haven't done much with it beyond playing some of the included demos. The BattleZone in-tank view is awesome and Job Simulator was goofy fun. I'm really looking forward to downloading the Battlefront II VR level and trying out Rush of Blood.

I've found it to be absolutely mind blowing once I got it tuned in. Tune = fit and positioning on face, and setting Eye Distance Measurement in settings/devices/VR.

I was disappointed to find out that the Star Wars X-Wing VR level is for the original SW:Battlefront and not SW:Battlefront II which came with the system. Guess I need to buy it even though I already own it for the Xbox One.

Gran Turismo VR made me nauseous by the first turn! I'll never play the game that way again, unfortunately. Cool effect, though.

I'll have to look at the Eye Distance Measurement in Settings. It's not real sharp but I never tweaked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back