Best paint color for car store outside in sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

What paint color would hold up best on a vehicle stored outside all the time in sunny Florida? This considering it was properly cleaned and waxed on a regular basis.

In terms of longevity and durability, color is fairly low on the totem pole.. Maintenance, upkeep, and protection are by far the most important factors..

This is my 2010 Fusion - It pretty much sits outside 24/7 in Phoenix weather. I wash it frequently and apply wax and/or sealant a few times per year, with a spray wax after roughly every 2nd wash. As you can see, the paint is looking awesome, even after 7+ years.

I'd have to say white, that's why you see so many white cars in Florida (although in the past couple of years I've noticed a huge number of metallic red cars there)

Pretty much any light color will hold up better in the hot sun than a dark color though. But don't let that dictate your choice, get the color you like best and just take care of it.

There was a study done on this,i think. White was the winner,because its the most reflective.I have a 1977 Mercedes with original white paint,still looks good,but I don't know the complete history of its parking situation.

White, especially a non-metallic single stage white like Honda Taffeta White.
While this paint will never show a wet-look shine, it won't age badly with exposure and less than OCD care.
I once did OCD paint maintenance but have better things to do these days.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Are you trolling? Taffeta White is famous for fading severely, even in the North.

+1 on the preventative maintenance.

DEFINITELY any "flat" color will last longer than a metallic color with clear coat.

The paint on my Mom's 1991 Taurus GL in "titanium" (putty) shone perfectly with only occasional waxing with Nu-Finish (cheap stuff). The other non-metallic beauty in my life was my 1976 Nova in "apricot whip".

Today the choices are white, sometimes a fire engine red, sometimes a navy blue and maybe a saged green. I believe some of Subaru's wacky colors are non-metallic.

Any colour you like as long as its got patches of primer showing through.

Then you can skip that "As long as its cleaned and waxed on a regular basis" jive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Are you trolling? Taffeta White is famous for fading severely, even in the North.

Please explain how a non-metallic single-stage white can fade at all.
It would fade to white?
There may be a troll here, but it doesn't appear to be me.

It turns chalky
43.gif

Now you can go ahead and explain how clearcoat and metallics would make a car fade faster
crackmeup2.gif

Agreed, red fades the most. There's an early 2000's Celica parked outside. Once red, it now borders on pink. Silver seems to age well.

I've read that it's the UV rays that destroy paint. Metallic coatings are more susceptible to damage because they get burned twice by the UV: once coming in, and again on being reflected back out. Maybe MythBusters can verify this.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
I've read that it's the UV rays that destroy paint. . Maybe MythBusters can verify this.

Just come to New Zealand and check out our cars - the hole in the ozone layer is directly above.

Originally Posted By: vavavroom
Agreed, red fades the most. There's an early 2000's Celica parked outside. Once red, it now borders on pink. Silver seems to age well.

Had good luck with my silver cars...

Back in my detail days single stage white cars transformed the most because they came in so oxidized. (The highly customized F-350 field spray trucks were the worst... the pesticides would eat right though the paint where the boom arms hung over the hood. Got ringworm off one of those trucks too...)

Single stage white was about the worst if it wasn't maintained, but it was easy to buff it back; black was troublesome because no one knows how to maintain it without scratching it; single stage reds were bad, but rare. Silvers hide their scratches and don't show dirt - I suppose those why they're so popular. But modern clear coats are so durable I'm not sure if this as relevant these days.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
It turns chalky
43.gif

Now you can go ahead and explain how clearcoat and metallics would make a car fade faster
crackmeup2.gif

Turns chalky?
I don't see this happening, but the good news is that a good wash and wax will bring back any single stage paint.
Explain how two stage paint systems and metallics aren't as durable?
You're kidding us, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back