Recommend an Oil 2018 Jeep JLU Wrangler 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm bored and waiting for delivery of a new 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with the updated 3.6. The leaked owners manual recommends 0w20 oil.

My 08 Wrangler 3.8 has mostly had a diet of various Mobil 1 oils throughout its life, and it is running strong. I' a big fan of Mobil 1 oils, but would consider something different, especially if it works particularly well with the Pentastar.

What do you recommend and why? I'll probably have the Jeep in mid to late January and will make a final decision on an oil after the break in period is over. I'm leaning toward Mobil 1 EP 0w20, but am open to others, such as Pennzoil Ultra 0w20, if I can find it.

Btw, Merry Christmas!

Any major brand that meets the specs for that Jeep will do fine. With that said, since you have experience with M1, you could use that with no worries.

Synpower, just because it's performed great in my Cruze and the Pentastar-powered Caravan I put it in seems to like it.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Merry Christmas!

I don't think that M1 will have the Chrysler approval if that matters to you.

I'd personally entertain the Pennzoil or Castrol 0w20 syn blends. Less than $20 a jug too.

I'd go with Pennzoil, Mobil 1 doesn't meet the spec, if that matters to you. If you want a Mobil product in the sump, and care about the spec then use Super.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd go with Pennzoil, Mobil 1 doesn't meet the spec, if that matters to you. If you want a Mobil product in the sump, and care about the spec then use Super.

I laughed back when I first heard this thinking of all the Viper FF’s etc … but you can run Mobil Super from the quick lube ~ once I quit laughing no more FCA purchased …

M1 0-20 has been my go to oil for the last 425K in my last three Ford engines. Performs very well.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I laughed back when I first heard this thinking of all the Viper FF’s etc … but you can run Mobil Super from the quick lube ~ once I quit laughing no more FCA purchased …

I had a good laugh too, politics, LOL. We differ on FCA though. I've had good luck with both my Jeeps, and at some point will be in a new GC. I just had the free warranty validation for the free lifetime power train warranty done for the second time on my 08 Liberty. Those 5 year re-check periods go fast.

I'd keep records of the oil changes you do yourself (date, mileage, purchase receipts) in case you have a warranty issue. I've been doing the oil changes on my father's 2013 Grand Cherokee since it was new, and the dealership suggested that was the best way to ensure we had no issues if we needed warranty coverage. I have a file folder with all the maintenance done on the Jeep.

100,000 on our 2012 Wrangler JKU using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 with no issues.
I am sure with the purchase of your new JL Rubicon you get a free membership into the Jeep Wave Program.
Which gives you 4 free oil changes and tire rotations. I don't know if you want to go that route or just do it yourself.
If you want to do it yourself from the start I would say Pennzoil Platinum 0w20, but like others have said any name brand synthetic will work just fine with regular changes and filter changes. Enjoy the New Jeep they made some real nice improvements on them.

If you drive it like a car, I'd use 0/20 or 0/30. We use our '13 two door Jeep off road and most of the guys that we trail drive with use 0/30 or 5/30(I run 5/30 winter and 10/30 summer) some also use 0/40 year round in their late model Jeeps. The oil gets real hot out on the trail because of low speed with high loads and high rpm's. It just depends on how or where you drive.

ROD

In my 3.6 I stayed with a full syn 0w-20 for the first 3 oil changes.

Then I switched to full synthetic 5w-30.......its what I run in my other two vehicles.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
If you drive it like a car, I'd use 0/20 or 0/30. We use our '13 two door Jeep off road and most of the guys that we trail drive with use 0/30 or 5/30(I run 5/30 winter and 10/30 summer) some also use 0/40 year round in their late model Jeeps. The oil gets real hot out on the trail because of low speed with high loads and high rpm's. It just depends on how or where you drive.

ROD

Yeah, that's why I'll run a good synthetic. I'm leaning right now toward Mobil 1 EP 0w-20. I think it will handle the heat very well. I run M1 5w30 High Mileage in my JK right now, and in summer M1 HM 10w30. I've at one point even run M1 0w40 Euro formula. I do think that any synthetic 0w20 should perform well, but I do like a little feeling of a safety margin.

Is Mobil 1 Super Synthetic any good? I'm guessing it is a group III? I'm curious about this oil, as it meets Chrysler spec, but seems pretty far down the food chain in Exon Mobil's line-up. I thought regular Mobil 1 was a group III? According to marketing, anyway, it should be superior to Mobil Super Synthetic?

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Is Mobil 1 Super Synthetic any good? I'm guessing it is a group III? I'm curious about this oil, as it meets Chrysler spec, but seems pretty far down the food chain in Exon Mobil's line-up. I thought regular Mobil 1 was a group III? According to marketing, anyway, it should be superior to Mobil Super Synthetic?

One of those may be the new packaging of Exxon SuperFlo. I really am not sure.

I'd be willing to venture that a Mobil products expert can tell you.

Originally Posted By: LC
100,000 on our 2012 Wrangler JKU using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 with no issues.
I am sure with the purchase of your new JL Rubicon you get a free membership into the Jeep Wave Program.
Which gives you 4 free oil changes and tire rotations. I don't know if you want to go that route or just do it yourself.
If you want to do it yourself from the start I would say Pennzoil Platinum 0w20, but like others have said any name brand synthetic will work just fine with regular changes and filter changes. Enjoy the New Jeep they made some real nice improvements on them.

I'm going to look into the Jeep Wave program, for sure!

I'd also choose the PP or PUP 0W-20, especially if it recognized by FCA and Mobil isn't.

When I chose an oil for my 2103 Ram, I chose the PP as it seemed to get better UOA's on here than Mobil did and it came highly recommended by far more knowledgeable members on here than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back