What constitutes a car lasting 200 or 300k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And by that I mean, what is it that last or is not replaced to make a car qualify for the title of lasting X number of hundreds of thousands of miles?

Or maybe another way to ask it is, what needs to be replaced or worked on for the car to qualify for NOT haveing lasted X number of hundreds of thousands of miles.

confused2.gif

Live south of rust belt is the most important. Most engines will go 200k with decent maint. To get the transmission to 200k you have to start with a decent transmission and then maintain it with synthetic ATF.

Originally Posted By: MichaelRS
And by that I mean, what is it that last or is not replaced to make a car qualify for the title of lasting X number of hundreds of thousands of miles?

Or maybe another way to ask it is, what needs to be replaced or worked on for the car to qualify for NOT haveing lasted X number of hundreds of thousands of miles.

Years ago, if it was the same VIN tag it qualified, even if you swapped the engine 20 times.

Now, i would say original engine (untouched) for sure to be considered.

I would say any engine work would disqualify it,because the engine is the heart of the vehicle.

Not everyone read the full question.

I'm in agreement with first Nissan.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
If your engine and transmissions have been rebuilt or replaced, it doesn't qualify.

For sure that would cost way more than a new car!

To say it without qualification? Original, undisturbed long block in a body/chassis that, for the most part, has only had usual wear components replaced. Ball joints, shocks, tie rod ends, etc. Most auto transmissions will require repair in that time frame.

But don't get me started on why on earth people seem to think "actual miles" or "original miles" on a <20 year old car with a 6-digit odometer means anything.

Like many things, it's not exactly well defined. I'd say the head(s) would have to stay on, original bearings in the bottom end, and trans not opened up for anything other than a clutch on a manual transmission car. 200k with that, and I think it was a decent run.

But it gets dicey going from there. Original ball joints? tie rod ends? We tend to think of struts and shocks as being wear items, but are the springs wear items? or are they items which it doesn't matter either way, too easy & cheap to replace to care?

I think it's more admirable when the owner bothers to go to crazy miles. 3 full rebuilds and 700k would be more impressive to me than a 200k vehicle. I mean, that's commitment, regardless of how much wrenching it took!

It's simple. As the owner of a 1984 Civic wagon with 440K+ miles, it takes only a few things to get over 250K miles.

Reliable vehicle
Good weather, parking inside is a bonus
Conservative driving style
Routine maintenance
Some basic knowledge about vehicles
A good mechanic for things you don't do
....you add the next one

I would say original untouched drive train. But, likewise, u respect an owner that rebuilds and pushes a vehicle to the high upper limits, 500k+

Originally Posted By: MichaelRS
What constitutes a car lasting 200 or 300k miles? And by that I mean, what is it that lasts, or is not replaced to make a car qualify for the title of lasting X number of hundreds of thousands of miles?

Or maybe another way to ask it is, what needs to be replaced or worked on for the car to qualify for NOT having lasted X number of hundreds of thousands of miles.

The answers above are good ones. Additionally, I'd add a few more qualifications:

1) Internal wear rate must be low. So no burning oil or timing chain failures.

2) Emission controls must continue to work properly without excessive/expensive problems.

3) Various heating/cooling/interior failures must be minimal.

My Jaguar X-Type's powertrain has been mechanically fair, (with the exception of the AWD transfer case needing 2 new bearings) but the interior has been awful. Nearly 100% of interior components have failed, from the AC evaporator, to the climate control computer, interior lights computer, to the interior and exterior door handles, locks, power seat motors, gearshifter (manual trans with cable shifter) , emergency brake cable and, of course, all of the emissions equipment from the throttle body to the cats and the o2 sensors, intake manifold seals and on and on. So while I'm near 200K miles, little of the car is still functional other than the engine and transmission.

Last edited:
Depends on how much you like a vehicle. I have a 1988 Big Bronco that we both like. Has 220K and counting. Runs well (now - a few ECU swaps ...), original engine, tranny and transfer case. Tows the boat and utility trailer.

Has had the seats re-upolstered. Hood replaced and painted (corrosion in battery corner). Had rear-end reset as it was whining at 150K. Had a new timing chain and water pump done at 130K. Developed a rear main leak at 175, so engine was jacked up and HV pump installed along with new seals.

If you are not willing to work on a vehicle, good luck going that far ...

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It's simple. As the owner of a 1984 Civic wagon with 440K+ miles, it takes only a few things to get over 250K miles.

Reliable vehicle
Good weather, parking inside is a bonus
Conservative driving style
Routine maintenance
Some basic knowledge about vehicles
A good mechanic for things you don't do
....you add the next one

And see here is where we disagree. Oneeye I love your post and you add a lot to this board but your pistons have been out of the block. You needed rings that is no small thing. That is not 440K miles on the original stuff.

My old S-10 blazer went 280,000 with nothing removed below the valve cover or intake for gasket work. Original 700R4 when I gave it to a friend who drove all the way to 380,000 at that point the transmission finally gave up.

To answer the question, engine has not been re-ringed, re-bearinged, no regrind on the cam. Gaskets, timing belts, water pumps stuff like that is ok. Suspension components are ok. I can let the transmission slide because some engines are just harder on them than others. You don't break stuff until you start making power.

I have no issue with people fixing stuff to get it to go 500k or longer, but you have to draw the line somewhere on what is original.

My dad's 1990 Delta 88 went to a little over 550,000 miles before he gave it to one of my nephews. Original tranny went out around 400,000 miles. That car looked like a 500K+ car,but drove like a dream. Didn't burn or leak a drop of oil. Oh,and before anyone asks,all on Pennzoil yellow bottle 10W30 from his friend's quick lube shop.

I drove some kind've Lincoln one time that was nearing 300,000 miles (can't remember if it was a Town Car or LS). That car looked showroom fresh,and drove like it too. Black with black leather,BEAUTIFUL car!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back