'06 Ford 5.4L - What Filter Options Do I Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

It has been a good while since I've posted here.

I recently picked up an '06 F150 King Ranch and it runs very good. In reading about the FL820s filter, it appears that it had some quality issues in the past.

My preference is to stick with OEM for this truck, but does anyone know if those issues are still present with the FL820s?

Also, what other options do I have with regards to oil filters in the event that the FL820s is still having issues?

I ve used a multitude of oil filters on my daughter's Ford FX2 with the 5.4 including the Fram XG2/ TG2 and Motorcraft 820s plus several no name Chinese filters with no difference in start up noise or any noise.
I think that is a bunch of hype on how this engine is filter sensitive.

Last edited:
I agree with the NAPA Gold 1372/ WIX 51372, XG/TG2, as well as even some of the cheap, made in China filters out there.
I have an Ecogard X4651 ($2 from Walmart.com) on mine now.
I was not crazy about the ST2 I had on before.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I ve used a multitude of oil filters on my daughter's Ford FX2 with the 5.4 including the Fram XG2/ TG2 and Motorcraft 820s plus several no name Chinese filters with no difference in start up noise or any noise.
I think that is a bunch of hype on how this engine is filter sensitive.

It is not about noise, it is about the Purolator made Motorcraft 820s having tearing issues.

Originally Posted By: MParr
NAPA Gold 1372 or WIX 51372

Agree! Get distanced from torn Purolator/Motorcraft. Stay far away!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher
It is not about noise, it is about the Purolator made Motorcraft 820s having tearing issues.

Correct. All I care about is making sure I am not complicit in grenading my engine. It runs really, really good and I would like to keep it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back