FF Hanging Confuser

Status
Not open for further replies.
This issue continues. FF will just get slower & slower over time. I have to exit, restart FF, choose "restore previous session" to go back to where I was. I'm using Ublock Origin to prevent ads/bots/social media tags/gargole, etc from even running.

I'm curious if this would go away with 64-bit W7 and a LOT more DRAM?

Intel i3-2100 @ 3.1gHz
4G (3.16G usuable) DRAM
W7 Pro: 32 bit
80G HD: 46.6G being used. W7 on one partition, all docs/files/photos/etc on separate partition.

What say you?

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I have to exit, restart FF, choose "restore previous session" to go back to where I was.

I do the same thing daily with Chrome.

Two things. First of all, is FF updated to the latest version? They made some changes recently that MIGHT address your issue of RAM useage & hanging. The current release version is 57.0.2. If you have not updated to that, I'd go ahead and do that. Older versions of FF generally speaking don't get any updates at all.

Other thing, what addons are you running? If you have any, you can find out if it is a misbehaving addon by running FF for a day or so without any addons running. Go to the three line menu, then go to Help, then Restart with Addons Disabled. Before FF restarts, you will get a window that should say something like Restart in Safe Mode. This is what you want. DO NOT click on the Refresh Firefox button, that will blow away your settings and give you a brand new profile.

If you have run FF for a day or so without addons and don't experience any hanging, then you can look and see which one it is in particular. I'd enable half of them, disable half, and see again if FF hangs or not.

For some hardware, disabling hardware acceleration will work (on reducing lag). In the options (the gear icon) page, search for "hardware acceleration" and disable that, and see if that works.

If these steps don't work, sorry I'm all out of ideas.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I have to exit, restart FF, choose "restore previous session" to go back to where I was.

I do the same thing daily with Chrome.

Chrome and Firefox are memory hogs on Mac as well. My 2010 MacBook Air with 4G ram surfs safari wonderfully, but run either of the other two and the memory is all used in no time flat.

No hanging fortunately...

My suggestion is a bit contrary, but works for me cross platform. Set FF to delete all cookies, cache, and so forth upon exit. Yes, you have to log into BITOG again. I avoid a lot of memory bloat and hanging that way.

Originally Posted By: Garak
My suggestion is a bit contrary, but works for me cross platform. Set FF to delete all cookies, cache, and so forth upon exit. Yes, you have to log into BITOG again. I avoid a lot of memory bloat and hanging that way.

If you're going to operate this way, then may-as-well stick to full-function Private Windows.

My Firefox Password system uses very little resources and I lose no surfing performance. I clean my cache, cookies....etc.... once a week or-so. Takes 90 seconds to run thru everything, including Flashplayer cleanup and all surfing History.

I have to agree here. The ability to search my history for that one site I know I visited, but didn't bookmark, is very valuable. You can't surf in private mode and keep your history.

For what it's worth, I experimented a while back with surfing sites with an empty cache, the default (350 megs full), and even briniging it up to 700 megs. I found the browser fastest and most responsive when the cache was at the 350 meg limit--so if you value speed, I would recommend surfing with the cache being kept full--and again, you can't get that while surfing in private browsing mode.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

If you're going to operate this way, then may-as-well stick to full-function Private Windows.

My Firefox Password system uses very little resources and I lose no surfing performance. I clean my cache, cookies....etc.... once a week or-so. Takes 90 seconds to run thru everything, including Flashplayer cleanup and all surfing History.

You can still clean most of the resource hog stuff without getting rid of your passwords.

..... and your ''so forth'' quote you have in an above reply, makes it seem you never saved your Passwords.

Why would anyone keep erasing all their saved Passwords anyways? I have about 30 websites that require Passwords and what a pain it-is, to keep remembering them, since many websites nowadays have differing rules on what is an acceptable password..... length, upper case, symbols, letters, numbers......etc.

That is why nobody (with many multiple) keeps erasing them.

Unless you have 1-2 for banking and I don't advise saving those. As a matter of fact, Firefox has a special Exceptions Place to disallow those-type passwords. They never get stored anyplace in my home/computer.

..... and your ''so forth'' quote you have in an above reply, makes it seem you never saved your Passwords.

Yes. I don't have too many membership sites to remember, and have always been good at remembering them, despite them being fairly randomised. Note that I do have to check certain accounts on semi-public computers at times, so it pays to be able to remember these things and know how to delete this information readily. For ones that I don't have to reference often and would otherwise forget, they are in a GPG encrypted file at home.

Of course, it's not that I don't have some faith in FF's security, or that of various password managers, especially if someone is using one device a lot and it's secure. I'm from a time when password changes were enforced, chosen for you, and long before password managers were invented.
wink.gif

First thing I'd do is remove uBlock Origin and see if that eliminates the issue. If it does, you know it's an issue with that plugin and there are others that do similar things. FF, like Chrome, spawns a new process for each tab, so seeing multiple processes is quite normal.

If I open a virgin install of FF on my virtual machine, I see 4 processes. It spawns another one for each tab I open and commence navigation in.

Generally, high memory/CPU usage is caused by a plugin not the browser itself, so that's where I suggest starting.

I often have 20+ tabs open, depending on where search/research takes me. YT movies will cause a problem over time with high CPU %'ge and RAM use. I thought FF would take better care to 'clean up after itself' and manage it's resources better.

In contrast, my blackbook, running an older version of OSX-64-bit rarely acts up, even with lots of tabs open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back