How often you replace furnace air filter?

So I have no pets and a clean house, was wondering how often do you guys replace your furnace air filters?

I usually replace at 60-90 days mark. Have read that during winter those cheap green ones can last for 3 months, but should be replaced after every 1-2 months during summer.

Now curious, what should be a routine or a right way without impacting anything negatively?

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

Once a year I think? The last one was in for 2 years, I write the install date on the filter. We use whatever the more expensive 3M ones at Home Depot are.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
So I have no pets and a clean house, was wondering how often do you guys replace your furnace air filters?

I usually replace at 60-90 days mark. Have read that during winter those cheap green ones can last for 3 months, but should be replaced after every 1-2 months during summer.

Now curious, what should be a routine or a right way without impacting anything negatively?

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

Well when I had a force air furnace once a year. But some people on here will tell you don't change it they only get more efficient. By the time their twenty years old their just like an osmosis water filter and you just have to back flush them with some compressed air.

I've only been in my new house for a few months and haven't changed it yet. It is 5" thick and will last longer than the ancient 1" ones.

Thanks, I definitely don't plan to keep them forever. But once a year seems more legit, because whenever I toss them, they never look really dirty and can still pass light through them if placed in front of light.

Maybe I'll stick to 6 months cycle or 12 months, that seems a lot better than tossing out a working filter!

I called the company that makes Filtrete furnace filters and asked them that. they said to change it when you hold it up to the light, and can't see light coming through. That is not incredibly specific, but that's what I do. When I see it clogged and hardly any light through, I change it.

We have the 6 inch wide type and replace at 6 months as the instructions dictate. It's one of the ones next to the furnace in it's own box where you have to install the filter in a slide out frame.

MOnthly on the 15th(same day the dogs get flea & tick and heartworm pills). Cheap 16x20x1 filter. I tried fancier filters, but felt like I wasn't getting enough flow. We just sold the house and I don't know what size/type of filter the new place will have yet...we shall see.

My house: fiberglass in the summer, every month. Pleated paper in the winter, 2-3 months.

Mom's house has an Aprilaire air cleaner and that element gets changed once a year. Thanksgiving day to be exact.

Just under 90 days. The thermostat is a few days late telling me to change it out. Threw a prefilter on it this time, cat and dog hair catcher.

Originally Posted By: paulri
I called the company that makes Filtrete furnace filters and asked them that. they said to change it when you hold it up to the light, and can't see light coming through. That is not incredibly specific, but that's what I do. When I see it clogged and hardly any light through, I change it.

That's what I do ... give it a look for amount of loading. Takes one winter for that to happen, so I put a new filter in every fall for the next winter season.

I do mine once a year and it still looks to be in good shape at that time so I can't imagine needing to do them every 60-90 days. I use the slightly higher quality ones though (not the most expensive, but middle of the price range)

Guess, I'll start with 6 months and then see if I should increase or decrease this period. Thanks all
thumbsup2.gif

Back