Thoughts- 1991 Chevy Pickup C/K 1500 V8 4WD Xt Cab

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of buying a 1991 Chevrolet Pickup 1500 C/K extended cab that I've been offered. It's through an estate. The owner has passed and the family is selling the truck.

Appears to be in good shape, it's a V8, most likely a 350 5.7L or a 5.0L. Can't get much useful info from the seller as she knows very little. It has approx. 122k miles on it. Appears to be the long bed with the extended cab.

If I were to buy it, I'd get historic plates and Insurance on it which would end up being $100-$150 per year. I would use it for Home Depot runs.

Any known problems with these? Advice?

What would be considered a good price?

These have a timing chain, correct?

Any known problems or anything I should watch out for?

If the price is right.. I probably would. I mean, it's surpassed by today's trucks but then it wouldn't cost like today's trucks--and if it meets your needs, then why spend more? Benefits of EFI but with cheap parts. Classic looks. Ease of repair.

1991, should be throttle body, not a powerhouse but pretty darn reliable, if not a bit thirsty. 4 speed auto, some go early, some last long, but regardless it should be cheap enough to rebuild (GM only made 50 million of those 700R4's (4L60 by then?)). Part time 4WD, not sure if there are any vacuum actuated hubs or whatnot, but I wouldn't think those would be that problematic. Not sure that there is anything here that isn't supported by the aftermarket.

Only issue I would see is if you're not used to a long vehicle. And the part time 4WD system.

Edit: timing chain, yes.

Last edited:
gmt400 (88-98) are the best. i had a 92 a lot like that. 240k+ on the original engine and it ran perfect. tranny is the weak point but that goes for all trucks of any brand pretty much. i paid $2300 for mine, the body had no rust but plenty of dents, interior was perfect and everything worked perfectly except the radio. then again everything here in marin county is expensive.

You have room inside for it? Bet it didn't stay in that condition sitting outside. The doors will droop but hinge kits are cheap and easy. That would be a highway champ with the loooong wheelbase, too bad you'll short trip it but if it works for you why not. She's a classic.

I would go for it if the price is reasonable, but I could be biased.
Originally Posted By: supton
If the price is right.. I probably would. I mean, it's surpassed by today's trucks but then it wouldn't cost like today's trucks--and if it meets your needs, then why spend more? Benefits of EFI but with cheap parts. Classic looks. Ease of repair.

1991, should be throttle body, not a powerhouse but pretty darn reliable, if not a bit thirsty. 4 speed auto, some go early, some last long, but regardless it should be cheap enough to rebuild (GM only made 50 million of those 700R4's (4L60 by then?)). Part time 4WD, not sure if there are any vacuum actuated hubs or whatnot, but I wouldn't think those would be that problematic. Not sure that there is anything here that isn't supported by the aftermarket.

Only issue I would see is if you're not used to a long vehicle. And the part time 4WD system.

Edit: timing chain, yes.

The timing chain is very short and very reliable, and the whole drivetrain is reliable and easy to service. The TBI system can be a bit finicky to troubleshoot for driveability, but it almost never quits.

The 4wd system has one weak link, but it is an easy fix. The electro-thermal actuator for the front axle lock may stop working or be slow to engage. The permanent fix is a manual cable actuator, or a permanent lock. http://4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-k.html

I have the permanently locked version (although it only takes an allen key and and a couple of minutes to crawl under and unlock it for a highway trip), so the front driveshaft always spins with the wheels, even if the transfer case is in 2WD. I don't care about the slight fuel economy hit, or the increased wear on the front driveshaft.

That should be a flat tappet engine. Use an oil appropriate for that, although many of those trucks ran forever on the cheapest fill one could find. HDEO would not be a bad idea.

Where the transmission is concerned; it's a 700R4. Not a bad trans, but not a good one either. Plenty of info out there on its weak spots, but I think clinebarger will chime in with significantly more specific detail.

Keep the OCI'S short unless you know for certain through UOA that it isn't a fuel dilution monster.

These go through fuel pumps and ignition modules with some regularity. Definitely carry a spare module, they will just quit and leave you stone dead. The rest of the TBI system is quite reliable, though as noted it can get into weird driveability problems.

The TBI 350 isn't overly powerful, and when coupled with the 700r4 transmission they're often very sluggish, but they're still good, durable trucks that often go many, many miles.

All the small block V8's have a timing chain that usually never requires service. Spark plugs is about the most intensive thing on the maintenance list for that engine. The ball joints in the IFS can require replacement several times over the lifespan of a truck that lives a long life. The electronic gauges and radio/climate control can get quirky or go out with age. They're no less prone to rust than any other. But that looks like a real nice example that will be worth keeping in good shape for a long time.

And before you ask: it's a flat-tappet cam but so mild you needn't put any special high zinc oil in it. A high mileage 10w30 or 10w40 changed annually or every 4-5K is the best thing for it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Pretty good trucks. The engine is bullet proof. The front suspension is the weak link on them. They dont hold an alignment long and eat tires.

With a properly maintained/repaired front end....That's not true!

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
From the looks of that's passenger side mirror attached to the door most likely pulled a trailer at some point in it's life.

I bet it never did,Or not very much. Old guys in 1991 did that....Loved their "West Coast" mirrors!

I love my 1991 GMC K1500. It’s my daily and has 254,000 miles but has had at least 3 transmissions including the last one personally rebuilt about 20,000 miles ago. Add the biggest transmission cooler you can find and do not tow in Overdrive, due to the small planetary gears and so so 3-4 clutch pack. I also recommend a shift kit, .500 boost valve, and “corvette” servo be installed which does not require taking out the transmission. Mine made two trips up to Prudehoe Bay in Alaska on caribou hunts with no problem. Solid truck but as mentioned not a powerhouse or efficient. I have the 5.7 and get 17.2 MPG hwy and 10-12 MPG city. Towing an enclosed trailer @ 7000 lbs it averages 8.3 MPG.

I had an 88 1/2 ton with 260,000 on it when I sold it. You couldn't kill that. I got with 160,000 from the neighbor. Truck live a hard life towed and was his contractor vehicle before I picked it up.

They are not a power house and the 700R4 does ok in the them as mention here. The TBI is easy peasy to work on as it the rest of the truck.

The on posed it CLEAN. Would make a good truck for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back