Oil life in container

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd question .How long does oil last in the plastic container ,cap closed but foil seal broken ? Want to use it on one of my cars in July when the next service is due.

Great .Castrols helpline wasnt sure ,but i think thats to limit
liability given by their call centre agent

A very long time. There was an article written by someone from Blackstone labs and they tested oil that was in unopened cans well over 20 years old, if memory serves me correctly. It was fine. Maybe someone here has the article bookmarked.

The answers you are getting at NOT what oil manufacturers will tell you. For example, Shell told me the shelf life of UNOPENED, sealed oil containers is 5 years if stored in proper environmental conditions. You can decide who to believe.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
When it was in the ground for a million years how much did it deteriorate?

You mean it was a fully formulated motor oil all that time? With additives and everything?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

You mean it was a fully formulated motor oil all that time? With additives and everything?

Most the stuff in that formulation where in the ground a million years as well. So did they deteriorate?

WwKH9RX.gif

Most the stuff in that formulation where in the ground a million years as well. So did they deteriorate?

Not really valid to compare Crude oil to refined oil products. Refined oil has additive that will come out of solution in about 5 years when store in warm environment or 2 years when stored in cold. Shacking container will not put them back into sloution

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Not really valid to compare Crude oil to refined oil products. Refined oil has additive that will come out of solution in about 5 years when store in warm environment or 2 years when stored in cold. Shacking container will not put them back into sloution

why would shaking, and then run through the engine, not blend the additives back in? don't see how that can be.

Sopus said 4-5 years I believe. Additive fallout can be mitigated by shaking and pouring it in. As long as you get it into the motor it will go back into the oil as it warms up.

The thing to consider is the specifications not the time in the bottle. That old bottle of oil is fine but it may not meet the spec's you need today.

If you're going to use the oil anyhow you should limit the age of the oil to about 100 years unless the container is permeable as in cardboard. Then I'd say 5 years might be reasonable.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
The answers you are getting at NOT what oil manufacturers will tell you. For example, Shell told me the shelf life of UNOPENED, sealed oil containers is 5 years if stored in proper environmental conditions. You can decide who to believe.

Well, you can listen to a blender who'd like to have you dispose of your stashed oil after five years or so and buy more or you can take advantage of the empirical results of those here running oil old enough that it comes in cans.
Who are you going to believe?
I think the oldest oil I've run was around ten years old.
No big slug of additive residue left in the containers and no issues noted in service.

I have some Napa Synthetic I bought as a case back in 2010. I still use it for top off oil, it rides in the toolbox of the f150. Gets shaken everytime I use the truck. It’s still good oil.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Shell told me the shelf life of UNOPENED, sealed oil containers is 5 years if stored in proper environmental conditions. You can decide who to believe.

I choose to NOT believe SHELL.

I have never witnessed any ill effects of "old" oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back