New Cable Modem (Zoom 5370) Speed Test Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ended up with a Zoom 5370 instead of a TP-Link 7610. Both are DOCSIS 3.0, so doesn't matter.

I pay $29.95/month for 30-5 service (Mbps downstream-upstream). Here are the test results on the new Zoom 5370. Prior to this was renting an Arris DG860 from Wide Open West, and unfortunately don't have test results for it. It wasn't necessarily slow but wanted to stop renting it for $10/month plus the 860 is notorious for continuing to monkey with packets while in full bridge mode (no NAT) even though you've disabled the firewall (Arrius DG860 is a combo modem/router). That schiznit was most apparent when I would connect to my workstation at the office, from home via Cisco AnyConnect VPN, as the connection always had lag spikes and random VPN disconnects. So far so good on the VPN with the Zoom 5370 but then it is a modem-only with no firewall and ALG.

I have it connected to a Cisco WiFi router with SPI Firewall active (VPN Pass Through enabled).

Zoom5370_122617.jpg

Congrats! I bought that same modem about a year ago. Wanted to get all 16 channels bonded that Comcast offered in my area. It's been rock solid so far, never had to reset unless I was making network changes, just to refresh it.

Thanks, it was between this one and TP-Link 7610 which I thought my fiancee had bought the TP-Link and actually said prematurely the other day in skyactiv's Christmas gift thread that I would be opening a TP-Link, LoL. We opened presents later yesterday and Lo and Behold she'd bought me the 5370.

The modem shows only three upstream channels bonded out of the possible four, but that is because WOW hasn't yet activated a fourth upstream in our region yet. Not that it matters at the Mbps tier I'm paying for though.

So are you stating your Modem is giving you better speed? Isn't all this set by your IP?

Where I am we have Time Warner, or SPECTRUM now. Its [censored]. On their top tier program I average 20mps and on busy times can be as low as 5mbs. Just depends on the time of day.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
So are you stating your Modem is giving you better speed? Isn't all this set by your IP?

Where I am we have Time Warner, or SPECTRUM now. Its [censored]. On their top tier program I average 20mps and on busy times can be as low as 5mbs. Just depends on the time of day.

Jeff

I wanted to ditch the rented Arris DG860 because 1. Save $10/month and 2. It's not a very stable device. So I asked for a cable modem for Christmas, she said "You'll have to send me a link because I won't know what is what or where to get one." So I sent her a link to buy a Zoom 5370 off Amazon, then after a couple guys here said TP-Link 7610 was really great bang for the buck I sent her a new url to order the TP-Link off of but apparently she'd already gotten the 5370.
cool.gif

As long as netflix does not go into buffering mode I do not care about what speed test says. Used to have high speed internet with Time warner and it buffered constantly..Time Warner lied about their speed and were sued over it, TW is not to be trusted. I dumped them like a bad habit when they failed to fix it and wanted me to pay yet another $10.00 per month for "super Roadrunner Turbo" A Scam IMO, anyway went to Windstream with no buffering ever at least so far and have had used WS for 5 years. We also just got the option of ALLO super high speed fiber internet, but for our purposes Windstream works just fine, besides ALLO is $80.00 per month where as my WS is about $45.00. sadly with internet most of us have few choices and many cities only 1 choice(here in Lincoln we have 4 TW, WS, Allo and Internet Nebraska and I suppose Dish as well or buy a "hot spot" would be another option, and then as a consumer you have to select the one you think sucks the least.

Around here for cable broadband we have only Spectrum (Time Warner) and Wide Open West. AT&T offers a DSL bundled w/ Direct TV, and there might be a satellite option or two. No fiber that I know of. Wide Open West seems to be okay so far.

I did the same thing but went with a Motorola unit. Just not sure where the post is going with the speed tests? Should be the same no matter what Modem your using as long as it meets your IP's requirements.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Jeff

Jeff,

If your not getting the speed you pay for, it can be 50/50 on whos fault it is.

Its very possible the speed is being delivered to your house but your equipment and possible ragtag way it is set up could also be the issue. Lets not discount electrical interference and wiring in your home either.

Internet providers have nothing to do with what goes on in your house and computers, only can get the speed to the "front door" or modem. Much information on the INTERNET on properly having everything properly set up. A lot of people do miss the "electrical interference" thing though.

Im not sure how common but it is a real issue. SO yes, your provider may not be getting the speed to your front door but in many the cases its the homeowner and why the system is set up. I see some retarded set ups in my line of work.

Last edited:
Its very cool to have a system your set up in your home and see that you are getting the speed you pay for and sometimes a bit more!
Looks like your having fun with it. I remember the ZOOM modem name back in the old "dial up" days. It was the "got to have" brand and I did have one if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Its very cool to have a system your set up in your home and see that you are getting the speed you pay for and sometimes a bit more!
Looks like your having fun with it. I remember the ZOOM modem name back in the old "dial up" days. It was the "got to have" brand and I did have one if I remember correctly.

Well, I may have praised the Zoom modem too soon. Although it may be a line condition since it seems to coincide with the recent very cold (single digits at night) weather arriving. Modem is showing it has dropped channel 16 altogether, 0 dBmV level, and data errors showing as uncorrectables on several other channels. channel 14 and 16 always showed barely over 30 SNR each. Channel 16 (657Mhz I think) dropped to show 28 SNR right before it died altogether and now shows among the bonded downstream channels but shows not locked and 0 dBmV. The signal to noise ration (SNR) on all other channels has stayed right around 40 - 41 dBmV which is a good range. It usually locks 579 Mhz as the starting channel and up until yesterday would show a perfect spread 6 Mhz apart with no skips in channels. Sounds a lot like a line problem cropping up actually.

I dont really understand much of your post as never paid much attention to the actual workings of channels and such.

I am a perfectionist as far as logistics in placing equipment for best performance, in electrical connections and power line conditioning/interference and fully understand that aspect of everything, as its my line of work.
Routers/cameras as well as zwave thermosats, door locks, garage openers, lighting control, etc
The effect of environment and power line noise in and around wifi equipment (and to some degree ether) can be substantial.

(Maybe because I work so much I never much got into the other part*L*)

Anyway, I do check speed all the time and I like mega path but I never used the test "plus" until your post. I find the "Jitter" interesting and will be curious to try it out on customers house when I see completely screwed up looking systems,
I have run about 10 tests since, all different times from 2 different computers,
My home wifi network displays a "Jitter" of 3 to 6 with one at 10.

NOW IF YOU EXCUSE ME, I HAVE TO HOOK UP THE NEW DESKTOP I GOT FOR CHRISTMAS! Honestly, as much as I cant wait to get it running, its alot of work, backing up the old one etc.

New = HP Pavilion 570-p094
AMD A12-9800
8 GB DDR4 -2400
1 TB DRIVE
RADEON R7 GRAPHICS
BLUE TOOTH, WIRELESS N/AC YADA YADA

Nice step up from my 4 year old Lenovo A4
We have a lot of computers and tablets in our house, but i still enjoy sitting at my desk most times, like im doing now :eek:).

ok, time to shut down and hook up the HP

Last edited:
27528452.png

So much better than a couple years ago..

Was on an overloaded node and it was super flaky at peak hours.

Now its pretty rock steady.. and they quadrupled my speed for same price.

If I had to guess I'd say your issues if any are on the isp end.. but my buddy at spectrum level 3 support said dont go zoom so I ended up with a sb6183... Its so nice to bypass all the level 1-2 india support people when I have an actual issue.

for comparison only my rather average regular Cable modem stat page.

PS. I usually do have a couple channels with some errors/uncorrectables.. but 3 power outages in 3 days so there is really only about 24hours history on the below image.

(I should note we pay (actually my wifes company pays) for 100 MBPS, at the time actual up speeds will be higher then this test as my wife who works from home is actually working right now at the time of test, as we have her workplace VPN Cisco router complete with phone connections plugged into our TP Link home router which is where my test is from, our home TPlink network and her cisco work router is running off our connection right now at time of test, but I'm very happy!)

Last edited:
Rand, your signal to noise (SNR's) look good, at or just above 40 is great. Power levels too.

Alarmguy, I'm jealous of your new desktop PC !! And I totally get the drive to fine tune and get things working to their potential. I do it with everything. My fiancee calls it ocd (LoL) but I call it "The relentless pursuit of perfection" (a Lexus marketing slogan from the 90's...)

The issues I described in the above post have been resolved. I believe I caused it by tinkering around with the birth certificate feature. I factory reset it, disconnected the coax cable and ran a new birth certificate capture (without the coax cable connected) after thinking about it. I also swapped out coax cables from wall socket to modem with a spare so that could have been it as well. Anyhow, all good again for now.

In my fine tuning I've found these guys are good idea to put on unused cable coax sockets:

It's a Type F 75 ohm cable coax socket terminator. Not to be confused with a "dust cover" or "dust cap" which doesn't have the center pin.

Apparently a good practice to "plug" any open cable coax sockets with these and it helps with potential line noise in your house or business's array of cable and sockets throughout. Also plug any open sockets on splitters in the basement, attic, crawl space, or inside the cable box on side of house. I'm going to hit up my cable provider and see if they'll comp me six or seven of them for being a good customer
cool.gif

Finally, check that the ground wire stud for the cable box array on outside of house is properly tightened. Coax cable setups need proper grounding, and a loose ground wire can cause line noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back