HELP needed: School may ignore my Autistic Son

Status
Not open for further replies.
School is considering a schedule change which will jeopardize my autistic son's therapy, it would be devastating to us financially as his therapy schedule would be scrapped. They have a survey and if you would please consider helping by taking the survey and voting for the "September 4th school state option". Bless you!

Survey is only open through the 27th...one question only preceeded by one "ok" to instructions.... 5 seconds of your time...no name entered...just a simple Survey Monkey survey.....

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9RWRP5B

Voted.

As an uncle to a child with autism, I feel can feel what the parents go though. It's been tough for my sister and brother-in-law but thankfully the schools in our area have programs aimed at special needs kids and he has been doing well.

Not sure why it would cause the therapy schedule to be scrapped, but done
smile.gif

Even if the school year schedule is an inconvenience, the school should still be providing needed services to special ed students. I don't know if in your state, advocates are used in IEP meetings, but if I were you, I'd contact an advocate (usually a former teacher or parent of a special ed kid, who knows the law and the ins and outs) and see what your options are. If you don't know of one, I'd even contact special ed teachers and ask if they know of any (don't be surprised, often the teachers are on the side of the kids & parents). At least in California, school administrators don't like to see them in IEP meetings.

Last edited:
Done.

What are the reasons for the schedule changes? I work with a few different school districts, since I am an IT Coordinator for a contracting company that manages the technology infrastructure for some districts in the area. Many times school changes are budget and staff related, and decided on by the board of education. Having been to a few board of ed meetings, the people on these boards often have very limited knowledge of what actually goes on in the school district. Unfortunately, many of their monetary decisions are based off this limited knowledge.

One of the districts I managed had a very hard time passing any technology improvements for the schools. The enrollment started declining because parents knew other schools in the area had much more opportunity. Come to find out, a lot of the board members were retired people who knew nothing about technology, and simply declined to spend any money on it because they didn't want any increases in their taxes. After showing the benefits to the board, it definitely helped and enrollment for that particular school system has been increasing.

Done!

I'm on the spectrum, and while I lucked out to be closer to the neurotypical, school was still rough. So I feel ya. My mother fought tooth and nail to make sure my *different* learning style was properly honored in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back