What Temperature Do You Set Your Thermostat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title says it all. Only need replies from people who live where there is true winter. Southerners et al, I get it. No need to reply you have the a/c on. That won't help with my curiosity.

Edited to add that I'm asking in regards to your dwelling, not automobile. Just wanted to make that clear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oliveoil
58 and I wear warm clothes

I'm jealous. I have to keep ours at 68 otherwise the girls become...irritable. Our house is a little weird, though. The further from the furnace you get, the higher the ceilings. So basically have the house is well above 68 and half the house is well below. At least the thermostat is roughly at that halfway point in the house.

It depends on who is in the house. If it's just me, I set it to 58-60 and I'm happy. Usually someone else ends up setting it to 65, 70..

Also, since I'm on a crawlspace, once the temperature drops below 20 or so at night , I'll close the vents off some to restrict flow and set the thermostat to 70 anyway to keep more heat in the crawlspace.

In my old apartment with electric heat, I'd set it to 50. It cost me more to heat a 1 bedroom apartment to 50 than my entire house to 60, 70.

5 am to 9 am - 68°F
9 am to 5 pm - 62°F
5 pm to 10 pm - 66°F
10 pm to 5 am - 58°F

66 wake-up and 64 bed-time.
Only time that changes is when I close the bathroom door to shower. I keep a small floor-model electric heater in that bathroom and have it-on during the shower. That way it's warm when I'm naked getting out of the shower - then shut it off and slowly acclimate my body back to the pre-set home temp of 66 degrees. But I like it 70+ degrees getting out of that shower while semi-wet.

Last edited:
64 and night. 68 during the day, but there’s always some little gremlin bumping it up to 70 or 71 when I’m not looking

Night .... 58* F
Day ...... 62* - 64* F

In the house, I wear:
Fleece Jacket & Flannel-lined Jeans
With these cloths, 62* is fine for me.

I tell people that to save money:
I air-condition the house in Winter and heat it in Summer.
Most people are doing it wrong.

I do my best sleeping when the house is 60 or less. I like the weight of the blankets. My GF works nights, when she is home I have to keep heat at 65 and up. Up preferred for her.

Daytime I heat 68F

Rod

I try to do 70 for a while, but most winters I end up finding that too low and bump it up to 72 for better comfort. I will be turning it down to 60 tonight though, as we're leaving for Florida until January 5th.

Since today is -11 where I am at, it's at 70 right now to keep things warm. At night 65 or 66 and when I am gone it goes down to 62. Otherwise between 68-70. It would be hard for me to keep at 65 and lower.....BRRR

64 degrees here. Wife will supplement with direct space heat when needed. Today was a chilly one, outside thermometer was reading 1 degree this morning!

I use a programmable thermostat so it's set to between 70F home, 63F away, overnight down to 65F

72 right now feels good, I'll probably leave it there for the winter. Then in early February I'll switch it back to A/C at 73 degrees.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
58 and I wear warm clothes

Same here, 58-64 is fine. I always wear thermal clothing.

Daughter comes to visit = 74*F is too cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back