Oil for aging Canyon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a GMC Canyon with 110,000 miles. It has the I5 engine. For the last 10,000 miles or so I hear more engine noise on startup. I have always used M1 10-30 syn and OCI's at around 10,000 mi. Have had the oil sent to Blackstone a few times with good results. I am just wondering if I should start using M1 10-40 high mileage. A mechanic friend says some engines just get a little more noise with age. What are your'e thoughts. Also I do tow a boat if that matters.

Motor oil may not help in quieting the noise. First you need to establish where the noise is coming from. My guess is that it’s coming from the front of the engine. Wear on the timing chain tensioner is common with this engine.

Last edited:
I have noticed different oils can make my engines louder or quieter. And it had very little to do with how much i paid for the oil, if you get my drift. I would suggest, just for fun, to try the brand of oil you would use if you couldnt use Mobil but stay with the 10w30 grade. If that didn't help, I’d go with the Mobil 10w40 but not the high mileage unless my engine was consuming oil.

Try a high moly oil,like Pennzoil or Quaker State and a Fram Tough Guard. This is a legendary smooth combination.

I would try pennzoil platinum 10w-30 if you can find the gen 2 version. Remember those engines are DI, and that gen 2 platinum has the lowered amounts of calcium.

I’d try what you suggested … or M1 0w40 - that was the quietest when I did some dB meter tests … Several here point to the ad package it carries …

Originally Posted By: MParr
Wear on the timing chain tensioner is common with this engine.

Yes, common - - and not very easy (or cheap) to fix

Originally Posted By: bandz7
I would try pennzoil platinum 10w-30 if you can find the gen 2 version. Remember those engines are DI, and that gen 2 platinum has the lowered amounts of calcium.

Are you sure about the Atlas I5 being GDI? Seems too early.

Yup. Filters will affect startup noise if the antidrainback valve is not 100%. Get a well reviewed filter wit good adbv performance and that might cure the startup noise.

As for oils. In my Tacoma, the Magntec is the smoothese and quietest oil ive run. Ive run pp pup, and toytoa oil. Just in an off sht i got the megntc and i immediately noticed and quieter engine. I might attribute it to being thicker than other 5w30 oils ive been using but it passes my ear test.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Are you sure about the Atlas I5 being GDI? Seems too early.

I had a couple ~ MPFI … good little zinger motor ~ but me likes me 5.3L Canyon much better …

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: MParr
Wear on the timing chain tensioner is common with this engine.

Yes, common - - and not very easy (or cheap) to fix

So would a 40 help … reckon non CAFE parts of the world would be on that

I've had two Atlas motors. The 4.2 I6 in the Envoy sounded like a diesel at over 200K but ran great, the 2.9 I4 was noisy at startup too with about 70K. I would stick with 5w-30, 10w-30 seemed to make it louder. Yes, it's the timing chain, no I wouldn't worry so much about it. Use an OEM oil filter (ACDelco) with 5w-30 and see if it helps, it helped mine.

It's out of warranty, so experiment away. Me, I'd switch it to 0W-30 and run a different filter (maybe try a Napa Gold (WIX), or a Baldwin)
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
I vote for M1 high mileage 10w40

Might hit some AZ stores … 10w40 seems to be about all that’s on clearance

NOT a DI engine in this model year range.

My parents have a 2005 with the I5 and has had a steady diet of Supertech Synthetic at 5k mile oil change intervals. Only has about 70k miles but is pretty quiet. Dad always said he missed his old 4.3 S10 because the I5 gives all the power of a 4 cyl but with the fuel econ of a 6 cyl....meaning he didn't like the motor much.

From what I read here I may just go with the M1 12-40 HM. My truck does use a little oil, about a half quart in 1500 miles. I think I'm just hearing normal start up noise. If it were the cam chain I would see an engine code.

Well, it's a good time to experiment. 0W oils are pretty robust, but might not help with cold start .. Might, but maybe not ... Filters can certainly make a difference in noise during that first 10-20 seconds. But, mostly it has to do with residual oil film viscosity.

Many synthetics have pretty good drain off. They don't leave entirely, but can get thin (not much cushion until replenished). So a good test is to see if premium dino oil will help? I'd try some Delo 400 15W-30 SD (severe duty) and see if that helps ...

If it does, you know you have a cam drive that is getting sloppy. Not enough to throw a code, but getting there. If no change, it's something else. The inherently thicker residual film should keep that cam drive pretty quiet on start-up
smile.gif

I have the same truck with 263,000 miles. I put a junkyard transmission into it recently because $700 installed more than was worth it to keep it available for a second vehicle. My engine has made the rattling noise you describe for year. I just run Wolf's Head 10-30 in it year round because I have a economical source for this oil. I honestly wouldn't overthink it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back