Issues with a 2015 Passat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a used one with the 1.8 turbo and 30k miles on it. Any known issues ? I've never owned a VW and don't know much about them,reliable?

I cannot speak directly to that particular model but I do own a 2017 All Track with the same engine with turbo and DI. From my signature, you can see that I also own a 2013 TDI.

My experiences...neither has ever been in for a warranty issue or repair except for having the diesel reprogrammed under the federal call back. Both vehicles run quite well. My 2017 was just taken on a trip from central PA to Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin and back in early October and averaged 34+ mpg. It was FUN to drive and very comfortable for my wife and me.

I have also found the two VW dealers with whom I deal to be professional, interactive (in a good way) and willing to to do very good maintenance work. At my age (70), I am through laying on the cold concrete of the garage floor to do oil changes like I did for 50 years.

I do have the oil changed every 5000 miles in the DI 1.8 engine rather than the 10,000 recommended by VW but do go the full 10,000 miles between changes in the diesel car.

Some owners have had RMS (rear main seal) leaks caused by clogged PCV system (poor design).

They are nice cars. I have a few friends/family members who own Jettas, two with the 1.8T engine. One has 50k miles and the other just passed 65k miles, both have had no issues to speak of. The 65k mile car has had the APR stage 1 tune since 40k miles or so. The tune bumps the power from 170hp 184 tq to around 242hp and 293 tq. The tune requires 93 octane fuel but transforms the car, and my friend still achieves 37 mpg highway.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Very good cars and reliable. Just waiting for the obligatory "get a Camry" instead.
get a Camry

grin2.gif

my cpo 2013 passat s is a simple base model with a different engine (5cyl non turbo 2.5 liter) but all the other bits & pieces have been perfectly fine, no squeaks, no gremlins, etc. i do all maintence on schedule at the dealer. only wipers and tires are newly changed out.

that said i would look for all prior maintenance records or a cpo. used resale values are low but so are used purchase prices. the 2016 passat had a significant refresh so a decent 2015 should be had quite cheap.

Originally Posted By: askani79705
The one I'm looking at is $10500 ,so it's very tempting.

Get the car.
Make sure no leaks, tranny is shifting properly.
After you buy it, keep oil changes at 5k, use Castrol 0W40, Mobil1 0W40 or Pennzoil Euro 0W40 (all availble in Wal Mart).

I will say VW has improved a lot. When my sister had her 2001 Jetta it was a huge POS. Cheaply built, lots of creaks and rattles, and the auto transmission was dead by 110k miles. The 2005 Civic that replaced it was a big upgrade quality wise.

She now has a 2013 Jetta and the build quality is MUCH better.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I will say VW has improved a lot. When my sister had her 2001 Jetta it was a huge POS. Cheaply built, lots of creaks and rattles, and the auto transmission was dead by 110k miles. The 2005 Civic that replaced it was a big upgrade quality wise.

She now has a 2013 Jetta and the build quality is MUCH better.

wow man, good for her for being brave enough to try that car again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back