difference between paint and ceiling paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
putting up new ceiling fixtures soon. Plan to paint ceilings as part of process. Old, yellowed, stained with ??? brown streaks, as if a heavy smoker had been close - but hasn't for 15? years, although gas stove close. Home Depot has good Behr regular paint, Menards ad has Dutch Boy in regular and ceiling paint. Whats the difference?. HD said no such thing as ceiling paint. Thoughts?

You can use any flat white paint as ceiling paint. Maybe they sell it cheaper because they dont need to add any color to it at the counter.

Ceiling paint tends to be just a little thicker, can be slightly more adhesive, but is always flat as not to show reflections, brush or roller strokes. Home Depot doesn't carry ceiling paint? What? It's basic. You can use flat paint in a pinch but I prefer to use ceiling paint.

Ceiling white can have more pigment and less vehicle. Reason being that you don't generally scrub a ceiling so the paint can be less durable.

Dutch Boy paint is owned by the Sherwin Williams company. At my old house which faced west, Dutch Boy Max Bond exterior paint from Menards held up
longer than anything else on the garage door frame. I recommend washing the ceiling first with a phosphate solution: TSP. Than use a ceiling paint with a built in primer or prime the ceiling before painting.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001GOGQW/ref...la-309173835001

Home depot definitely carried ceiling paint 6 or 7 years ago, we bought a bunch of it there, the brand I do not recall but I believe it was glidden.

The paint we used was ceiling paint that had a pink tint until it dried. It was nice because It was easy to miss a spot on our textured ceilings. Other than that I think it spatters less.

If there are stains like that I would consider cleaning the ceiling first or if you have textured ceilings like us that are impossible to effectively wash down, you can always use a stain blocking primer such as "Kilz". You dont want the stain to bleed thru the new paint.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
putting up new ceiling fixtures soon. Plan to paint ceilings as part of process. Old, yellowed, stained with ??? brown streaks, as if a heavy smoker had been close - but hasn't for 15? years, although gas stove close. Home Depot has good Behr regular paint, Menards ad has Dutch Boy in regular and ceiling paint. Whats the difference?. HD said no such thing as ceiling paint. Thoughts?

Stained ceilings as you described will more than likely bleed, especially if they are nicotine stained or water stained. If you want to do it right they should be primed, and not with "Self Priming Paint." Kilz or Cover Stain oil based primers would be the best choices, followed by latex paint.

The "difference between ceiling paint and paint" is ceiling paint is usually cheaper, higher in clay content, dead flat, covers well, hides imperfections slightly better than a wall paint, and is not designed to be cleaned. I'll [censored]ume "paint" you're referring to a flat wall paint, or flat wall and ceiling paint. Those are usually more expensive, can be cleaned and can be used on walls as well as ceilings. Even in a dead flat some "paints" have a slight sheen.

In the past month I've painted 1400 sq. ft. of ceilings with ceiling paint bought at Home Depot. It's pretty shocking how off-white ceilings are that haven't been painted in 12 years even with no smokers, fireplace or frying in the house.

Depot definitely sells it, I just bought the contractor pack 2.5 gal pail of flat white ceiling by Behr for 50$ I think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back