Any Bars Leak oil success stories out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Radiator pellets yes, forgot about the leak until I flushed the radiator 4 or 5 years later.
Nothing about oil though.

If you mean successfully plugging radiators and water pump impellers, shouldn't be too hard to find.

Only use if you are selling the car the same day. Otherwise spend the money to fix correctly.

I have used Bars Leak Oil Stop Leak on a 2004 Civic with a bazillion miles. I believe it was the crank seal that was worn (damaged?).
It helped quite a bit...
I did 2 applications over some time, maybe it was over 2 oil changes, I don't remember.

I would not use any radiator fix-in-a-bottle in any car.
It will just plug stuff up.

Use the ginger root tablets-they've still slowed down my seeping Jeep heater core enough to keep it usable, without any other negative effects. Not looking forward to taking the entire dash, seats, and column to do it, hoping it'll last until something else worse & more expensive fails!

Used it (radiator) many many times in beaters I've owned over the last 50 years. Always worked, kept driving them until they croaked from something else.

Add me to the radiator pellets stop leak success list. I used it in a few beaters over the years with good results. I haven't used their oil stop leak, but know a few people who did that had mixed results.

Heater core on my wife's Ford Escape developed a minor leak fogging the windshield and getting the floormat damp, problem solved with no adverse side effects. That was 2 years ago.

Used their aluminum heatercore stop leak, it worked. Wouldn't use it on something that has any real value or for a simple radiator leak, but for something as expensive as a heatercore in a beater, go for it.

GM used and recommended the pellets as a service item for the cooling systems on 1998 to 2003 Ecotecs. Crushed wallnut shell are the pellets with bars adding oil and other stuff to coat the insides for help with reducing electrolysis and lubing the water pump impeller. Other companies used cellulose based stop leaks but they are only temporary and not long term. The ones to be weary of are the metal,copper based stop leaks which obviously can cause issues.

Must have in a Northstar. Stops pesky mystery coolant loss. I sold mine with 190k origional gaskets except coolant crossover at around 160k. Dexcool and Barr's its whole life.

I have used the Bars Leak oil products with pretty decent results. 2000 Blazer with 4.3 rear main leak. More than a drip, but not pouring out. Along with HM 10w-40, I add it about every other oil change and it stops the leak significantly. Going on about 4-5 applications now over the past few years.

I put 1oz of bars ONE SEAL in a 1982 steering gear box. Along with fresh fluid

Stopped the leak completely, 2 years ago.

I am not afraid of the pellets. If it is good enough for GM to use in new cars it is good enough for mine too. I would not use the other ones though. Except the original pelletized stuff maybe.

Never used the oil stop leak. I clogged the heater core on my Valiant with the AL powder. The pellets marinating in water pump lube worked well in several small leaks, in various heaps over the yrs. It was a factory fill for GMs. I was putting the finishing touches on a BMW. When I drained the block, the coolant was brown, so I flushed until the water ran clear. Once pressurized, the radiator core had over a dozen pin hole leaks.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Got me through a 3 day ride after I took a small rock in my raptor 700 rad.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back