Meanwhile in Canada...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Winnipeg awakens to the coldest Christmas in 20 years

Originally Posted By: CBC
Hey, at least it's sunny.
Winnipeg awoke to its coldest Christmas morning in two decades, as the overnight temperature plummeted to –30.1 C as of 5 a.m., according to Environment Canada.
The high for Christmas Day is forecast to be –23 C. That's about 11 degrees colder than the average high for Dec. 25 — and the coldest Christmas morning since 1996, when the morning low was –34.6 C.

However, it was even colder elsewhere:
Originally Posted By: CBC
The Manitoba capital is not the most frigid place in Canada today, let alone on the Prairies.
Both Regina and Saskatoon awoke to temperatures close to –30 C, while Fort Vermilion in Alberta's Peace River district dipped below –40 C on Monday morning, according to Environment Canada.

For those speaking Fahrenheit, those temperatures are -22F (-30C) for Winnipeg and -40F (-40C) for Peace River. Brisk!!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
Too cold for me. My oil bill would be through the roof.

Yeah, the prairie provinces get insanely gold at times because they are in the middle of the country with no large bodies of water to help moderate them like southern areas of Ontario and Quebec, where most of the population resides. I'm an hour NE of Toronto (roughly) and we are generally a fair bit colder than they are, being directly on Lake Ontario.

I have a friend who was stationed in Cold Lake. This was 20+ years ago now. He said he went running one day when it was -20F IIRC. He said that one of his eyelids froze. Don't know if there was permanent damage. I don't think so. At least he didn't say there was.

It was so cold here in Phoenix this morning, I had to use my wipers to wipe the dew off the windshield!

Been getting to 37 at night, which is freezing here

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It was so cold here in Phoenix this morning, I had to use my wipers to wipe the dew off the windshield!

Now we know why all the Canadians come here for the winter!

Ah Winnipeg!

City of my youth...where it snowed on my first day of school...and I was layering clothes before it was called "layering"...and you had to plug in Dad's car if you wanted it to start again before Spring...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Ah Winnipeg!

City of my youth...where it snowed on my first day of school...and I was layering clothes before it was called "layering"...and you had to plug in Dad's car if you wanted it to start again before Spring...

grin.gif

I wears its nickname "Winterpeg" well.

Cold weather creates a bond to your fellow Canuck, you see it in late March as we collectively congratulate each other for surviving another one.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Now we know why all the Canadians come here for the winter!
I mean it though, 37 here is crazy cold!

My brother lived in Montana and he said it’s a different kind of cold here. 37 there is short sleeve shirt weather. Here you’re all bundled up. Maybe something to do with the moisture?

My brother lived in Montana and he said it’s a different kind of cold here. 37 there is short sleeve shirt weather. Here you’re all bundled up. Maybe something to do with the moisture?

It all depends on what you're used to. Last February when my wife and I were in Florida there was one morning where it was about 65 degrees and we were already outside in shorts and a t shirt. An older gentleman who was one of the locals asked us "where's your jackets?" as he felt it was far too cold! I've been in Florida other times where I was still in shorts and t shirt when it was only 50 degrees and the locals were wearing thick coats and winter hats!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
For those speaking Fahrenheit, those temperatures are -22F (-30C) for Winnipeg and -40F (-40C) for Peace River. Brisk!!
lol.gif

Good real world oil and battery testing for cold start-ups, not to mention oil filter media resistance to tearing testing.

Gee, and we thought it was a little chilly having our Christmas Day barbeque on a calm, sunny, 22 degree day - I'll no longer be complaining though! Honestly don't know how people survive in temperatures that cold. Must take forever putting enough clothes on to go outside, then take them all off again once you get where you're going. You have my utmost respect!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Yeah, the prairie provinces get insanely gold at times because they are in the middle of the country with no large bodies of water to help moderate them like southern areas of Ontario and Quebec, where most of the population resides.

Yes. It's a tad unpleasant right now, and tonight will be worse. We're supposed to dip to -35 C tonight, which should be simply outstanding.

The G37 spent many hours turned off yesterday in -26 C temperatures, and started with nothing more than a power steering groan at first. And yes, to those who wondered, I went back in and warmed up my car significantly before I drove off. Fuel dilution and wear are nothing in comparison to me being dead from hypothermia or shock cooling in my driver's seat.
wink.gif

All that snow and gloomy weather would get me depressed.

A simple drive to grocery store is a big mess having to clear my driveway and added stress.

I went out for a short run (about 4 km) this morning, in anticipation of the feast coming later in the day. It was nippy, but I don't get cold running. I returned home sweating quite a bit. Cycling in these temperatures is a different story - I find it very hard to keep my hands and feet warm. Anyway, it's up to -28 C now, and with the 11 kph wind, the windchill is -37 C.

We did not drive today as we were hosting, but both cars are ready to go w/ Mobil 1 0W-30 in the Kia and 0W-40 in the Mazda, and NOCO Genius on-board battery chargers under the hood of each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back