Mazda Type-FZ Fluid & Skyactiv Drain/Refill Tips

I did the drain and fill at around 60K. I guess it's possible that it's overfilled, though I did check the little plastic dipstick after refilling. Overall, I would recommend not doing it. I don't think it's necessary in this transmission. I spent around $60 for four quarts of this proprietary fluid. But, keep in mind that I'm the guy using microGreen filters and running my oil for 30,000 miles in this car. I'm sure that at some point the engine will explode and I'll have to endure all the "I told you so" posts.

Remember that cars, like other appliances, are catering more and more to the ignorant and neglectful. But, as a positive, I can say that I devote a lot less of my spare time to car stuff than I did in the past. That is a topic for another discussion.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
But, keep in mind that I'm the guy using microGreen filters and running my oil for 30,000 miles in this car. I'm sure that at some point the engine will explode and I'll have to endure all the "I told you so" posts.

So a filter change every 10k I imagine? How may miles on this oci so far and how much top off oil? What oil are you using?

I'm on round 2. The first time I used M1 AFE 0W-20. Each filter change required a top-off of 16oz. For the first round I had a UOA done after 30K and it looked OK. For this OCI I had M1 EP 0W-20 available. I'm on the home stretch (last 10K miles). The on;y inaccurate bit here is that I only used 1 quart makeup oil (2 filter changes at 16oz each).

Ok pretty good there. Was the color of the oil pretty dark? I'm sure it wasn't lumpy or anything.

It was not noticeably darker at 30,000 than it was around 5,000. But, my eyes are no colorimeter. It was not black, though, and had no noticeable specks in it.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: Stewie
Btw, wouldn't it be easier to just put back what you took out? fluid wise
wink.gif

That's what I did, 15,000 miles ago. Seems to be fine. I won't be doing it again any time soon, though. The old fluid was very clean and didn't have any off smells. Mazda could very well be right about it being a "lifetime" fluid. I'll check it again at 120,000 miles and see what it looks like.

Thanks! What mileage was it when you changed?

There were a few that said that you would overfill by putting in the same? LOL

I guess they don't know the law of physics

The issue is that the fluid drained is usually hot, and the fluid you install is "cold." Transmission fluid level rises when the fluid is warm. If you plan to re-install the same amount that was removed, you need to drain the fluid when it is cold. However, this process only works if the transmission was properly filled before it was serviced.

^That is what I did. I did not even start the car. Drained out ambient temp fluid and replaced with an equal amount of ambient temp fluid. That was 15,000 miles ago.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

The issue is that the fluid drained is usually hot, and the fluid you install is "cold." Transmission fluid level rises when the fluid is warm. If you plan to re-install the same amount that was removed, you need to drain the fluid when it is cold. However, this process only works if the transmission was properly filled before it was serviced.

Then I would go have a cup of coffee or a beer while the hot fluid cools to room temp. Then measure the volume and replace with an equal amount of new room temp fluid.

Last edited:
Hello, After reading these posts (super thanks for the "HOW TO" details) I'm going to wait until 60,000 to do a drain & fill on my sister's 2012 Mazda3.

She's no lead foot so I don't think she's grinding the pieces too much.

I will, however, drop the pan and inspect and clean.
While changing the rock catchers on these new units doesn't seem to be but occasionally necessary, I will have one at the ready.
Maybe I'll need it for sis' '12. If not, I'll have it for the '16 in the family.

Who knows, maybe in a year (when sis' 3 turns 60K, FZ will be cheaper to buy. Still, 4 x $15 ain't the end of the world.

It's always fun to see where the filters become available. Sometimes RockAuto, sometimes Advance Auto Parts online.

If anyone has a p/n for the filter, please post it. Kira

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Originally Posted By: ttvr4
I find it odd that Mazda states to check the ATF level at minimum of 122F. My rule of thumb is always "put back in exactly the same quantity that was drained". This way there is no discrepancies on overfill/under-fill.

-ttvr4

Good rule, I follow it myself.
Keep in mind, what comes out hot has increased in volume a bit. What goes in at room temperature has not.

To eliminate the temperature effect you can do the replacement by weight - weigh how much you took out and replace the same amount by weight - accurate enough scales are pretty cheap now a days.

Thread update:

The car was here for a 75k major service and I recommend another trans drain and refill. The reason for the recommendation is because a full fluid exchange is not easily doable. It has been 25k since the last transmission service. Note: BG recently came out with an adapter to replace the trans cooler plate on these transmission to allow for a full fluid exchange.

Old fluid:

Amount drained:

Verifying the fluid temp before performing level check. Per Mazda, it needs to be > 122F:

Fluid colors after the drain and refill. 3.75 quarts puts the fluid level exactly halfway on the dipstick at 131F:

Hello, I read your messages concerning the oil change of the SKYDRIVE automatic transmissions and I would like to do that of my CX3 which will soon have 50,000 km. I would like the oil change to be complete, and in my research I found it to be a drain on a mercedes automatic transmission.
The interesting part of the video is 31 minutes

In fact the person fixes a suction pipe on the hole of the strainer that he removed, and by starting the engine the new oil is sucked in and it drives out the old oil, at the same time another person change the different positions on the gear lever.
Do you think this solution is feasible on Skydrive?

Back