New rifle for Christmas! Remington 700 5R Milspec

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, I ordered this a while back as some may recall. I was in the store the other day, as I had been travelling for work recently and so unable to go in and pick it up, and was surprised by the patron who stated it wouldn't be in until February, which was odd, because it was in stock when he ordered it
21.gif

Turns out, it was all an elaborate ruse perpetrated by my wife, who got me it for Christmas.

Specs are:
- .308 Win
- Stainless
- 24" 1:11 heavy barrel
- HS Precision stock

Full review on the rifle can be found on Sniper Central

And a quick box-open pic:

Now I have to get optics and a mount for it. Have lots of time, deer season is a long way off!

Originally Posted By: Donald
You'll shoot your eye out.

crackmeup2.gif
Nice rifle, and well played by the wife!

I've got two of them in that exact configuration. They are great right out of the box. Slap on a 20 MOA Picatinny rail and a nice scope and practice shooting to 1,000 yards. You'll learn all about wind and long range shooting, inexpensively too. And when you fire your .338 Lapua out that far it will nice and easy.
wink.gif

If you've seen some of OVERKILL's other gun posts, he's far from putting cheap optics on his rifles.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Very nice rifle, just don't cheap out on the glass.

I'd love to put a PMII on it, but for the range this rifle is going to be used, it may just get a Bushnell Elite 6500 in 2.5-16x42. I had that scope on two other rifles, my .270 and my .223 and was really impressed with its clarity, particularly for the price.

My long-range precision rig (CADEX Defence CDX-33 in .338LM) wears a Gen II Razor, which was what was recommended by the manufacturer, as I was shopping PMII's, Steiner and some others in the price range, and the Vortex won based on their recommendation and use.

Let us know how you like the stock. I have the same one on a 20" R700 and it feels like the pamlswell is just massive. I've been tempted to sell it and go buy a chassis.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
If you've seen some of OVERKILL's other gun posts, he's far from putting cheap optics on his rifles.

Thanks
smile.gif

It'll get a Leupold Mark 4 mount, which conveniently, is in stock at the shop ;-)

I was REALLY impressed with the quality of the IMS on my other .308, and the CADEX mount is just too much money for a deer rifle, not to mention, it would be pretty tall for a gun that's not going to be used for 1,000 yard shots and isn't going to get glass that needs that much relief.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Let us know how you like the stock. I have the same one on a 20" R700 and it feels like the pamlswell is just massive. I've been tempted to sell it and go buy a chassis.

I will. I can say right now that it is a bit wider than the one that was on my 10FCP-K, but not by a lot. I was REALLY fond of that stock (which was swapped out for a CADEX Chassis later on) and ultimately, getting rid of the stock and putting it in the heavier chassis made it a very poor deer rifle, though it did really help with making it a better bench and field gun.

If including deer hunting with this rifle and the need to possibly use it off-hand / free-style shooting occasionally, any scope I buy MUST have 5" of eye relief for me.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
If including deer hunting with this rifle and the need to possibly use it off-hand / free-style shooting occasionally, any scope I buy MUST have 5" of eye relief for me.

I had no issues with the relief on the 6500, even my Gen II Razor only has 3.7" of relief
21.gif

Can't believe I forgot to update this!

Had the gun out to the range last week for its break-in. Sighted it for 100, unfortunately groups weren't great due to a strong cross-wind, so I don't think I have it dialled yet. I was able to hit an 8" gong at 200 yards pretty easily with it, however my trusty monster, the CDX-33, would nail the 4x4" piece with no work. That gun is sighted for 100 and 200 was still bang-on the money.

Range impressions:

Recoil is predictably more than the Savage 10 FCP-K it replaced due to it being lighter and not wearing a brake. It is however, still pretty mild, and significantly less than a 12-gauge. I comfortably put about 4 boxes through it with a few breaks to fire the Derya MK12 and the CDX-33.

The stock is quite comfortable and I think will be ideal for the intended purpose. The Leupold VX3i LRP is excellent and my buddy who was there with me ordered one for himself based on using it. The reticle is nice and clean, the turrets have nice crisp clicks and feel high quality. It isn't quite the glass of my Vortex, which is noticeable at beyond 200 yards, but I wouldn't expect it to be given the price rift. For the money, it was an excellent value.

The rifle seemed to eat anything I put in it, though the ancient (1980's vintage) Winchester white box I tried had a serious 8" drift to the left consistently. The Federal Blue Box as well as the Hornady Steel Match I sighted it with both shot straight. Comically, my buddy's Remington 700 wouldn't chamber a few rounds that we then tried in mine and they chambered no problem
21.gif
He has the 700 XCR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back