New car 1st OC. when to change factory fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually adhere to the maintenance schedule set by the OEM, but I take it with a grain of salt. Keep in mind they promote CAFE viscosities, for example.

I change the FF at the halfway point of the first interval. Might help a tiny bit, can't hurt.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
10k is a lot but I'd try to get to 5k. There's extra good-stuff in the assembly lube that makes it into the first batch of oil.
+1 5k is perfect.

Originally Posted By: littleant
Originally Posted By: eljefino
10k is a lot but I'd try to get to 5k. There's extra good-stuff in the assembly lube that makes it into the first batch of oil.
+1 5k is perfect.

+2 5K is perfect IMHO

Originally Posted By: Indydriver

I guess the first question you have to answer is, “Who do you consider authoritative regarding the design and engineering of your new car? A bunch of shade tree mechanics on an internet blog? A dealer driven only by his own profit? Or, the people who actually built your car?

This is the only valid answer to this question that gets asked dozens and dozens of times every year.

Last edited:
Figured this was a Toyota. I guess the first question you have to answer is, “Who do you consider authoritative regarding the design and engineering of your new car? A bunch of shade tree mechanics on an internet blog? A dealer driven only by his own profit? Or, the people who actually built your car?

Once you decide this, your decision is easy because each group tells you their recommendation. Toyota tells you 10,000 because they understand how modern oils work in THEIR engines and the efficiency of the filtering system THEY designed and tested over millions of miles.

I have mixed thoughts about this. I don't claim the above viewpoint is wrong, but I do think it is misleading. It assumes the manuals contain only the views and beliefs of the engineers that designed and built the vehicle. That's just not always true. Marketing drives these decisions heavily. Oftentimes marketing comes up with things like, "We believe an OCI should be at least 10K miles because that's what our competitors are doing, and it helps convey our brand of vehicles require minimal maintenance". Engineers come up with solutions that allow 10K OCIs, for example, so they can put that in the manual. But ask the same engineers what they do with their own personal vehicles and you might get a different answer. The real fact is that we *Don't Know* for certain whose views are reflected in the manuals.

As for me personally - I change my factory fill out by 1000 miles, sometimes earlier. It is a fact that factory fill UOAs show elevated wear metals. What I cannot prove factually is how significant these elevated wear metals are. I choose to play it conservatively by dumping it out early. But I also believe those who go strictly by the manual are probably not going to do any worse than I over the time they own the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: jimmyjack
I know some of you like to get the factory fill out soon after break in. Is that mandatory with the new cars now or is it OK to wait until 1st recommended service at 10,000 mi? I think not myself! I want to change it now with 2500 mi not at 10,000. Any thought's. Thanks

Figured this was a Toyota. I guess the first question you have to answer is, “Who do you consider authoritative regarding the design and engineering of your new car? A bunch of shade tree mechanics on an internet blog? A dealer driven only by his own profit? Or, the people who actually built your car?

Once you decide this, your decision is easy because each group tells you their recommendation. Toyota tells you 10,000 because they understand how modern oils work in THEIR engines and the efficiency of the filtering system THEY designed and tested over millions of miles.

First of all, I am in a great mood. I'm happy and don't want to pick a fight or even start an argument.

I don't trust most shade tree mechanics on internet blogs. I don't trust most dealers as I have experience as a service writer. I don't really trust various analytical companies. I don't trust the manufacturers as some of them recommend lifetime ATF's. Hmmmm...

So, here is how I (as an ignorant man in many respects) would make my decisions regarding fluid changes in "newer" cars. I go 1/2 of what the mfr recommends. It they say 100K miles for coolant, I'd go 50K. If they say 10K for oil, I'd go 5K. My reasoning is they want to stay as "green" as possible but not hurt their cars at least through the warranty period.

My logic may not be sufficient for most of you, but it helps me sleep better.

I still haven't 100% decided when I'm doing the first oil change on my new car but I had roughly figured I might do it when the oil life monitor hits the 50% mark.

I know some of you like to get the factory fill out soon after break in. Is that mandatory with the new cars now or is it OK to wait until 1st recommended service at 10,000 mi? I think not myself! I want to change it now with 2500 mi not at 10,000. Any thought's. Thanks

A valid point - but like with many things experience and observation bring into question the wisdom of whats printed in a manual vs what a line mechanic buying it for himself would do.

Example - lets go back in time 2 year and say I bought a GM Acadia.

" live and die by the OLM is what the dealers told the end users - and keep the factory fill in as directed"

12 months one oil change and 14K miles later later the engine is full of sludge and needs a new timing chain and the line then becomes -

" we recalibrated the OLM after the engine had some field time."

So in the end who was right?

The shade tree mechanics that told you to change early and ignore the OLM? - or the guys that built the car?

UD

Thanks fellas. I'm gonna change it tomorrow. Anybody know what Toyota uses for their fact oil. I gonna use M1 OW-20 in our new 17 Highlander. Been using that for some time now in our Avalon. Merry Christmas to all.

My local Toyota dealer used the specified weight in Chevron if you don't opt for the full synthetic. I never have my oil change at the dealers.

Originally Posted By: Gebo

First of all, I am in a great mood. I'm happy and don't want to pick a fight or even start an argument.

I don't trust most shade tree mechanics on internet blogs. I don't trust most dealers as I have experience as a service writer. I don't really trust various analytical companies. I don't trust the manufacturers as some of them recommend lifetime ATF's. Hmmmm...

So, here is how I (as an ignorant man in many respects) would make my decisions regarding fluid changes in "newer" cars. I go 1/2 of what the mfr recommends. It they say 100K miles for coolant, I'd go 50K. If they say 10K for oil, I'd go 5K. My reasoning is they want to stay as "green" as possible but not hurt their cars at least through the warranty period.

My logic may not be sufficient for most of you, but it helps me sleep better.
Perfect reasoning. Sufficient for me. Oil and filters are cheap compared to engine and transmission.

I have left factory fill in for a year, I have changed it out early. I don’t really think it makes a lot of difference for normal service.

The only reason I plan on changing it early in my current new 4runners is to get a heavier grade in for trail use during the summer(high altitude mountain driving and some challenging trails)Toyota changes the oil for two years so I will use the 0w20 Motorcraft the dealer uses for winter oil. Once that is up it will probably be fine with annual changes. I really don’t like changing oil in these engines, cartridge filter location is a pain.i don’t know why they could not find a way to keep it up top like the single vvt version of the 1gr

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back