303 and Serpentine Belt on a 2006 Civic EX Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am thinking to replace serpentine belt on my 8th Gen civic. Current one is looking good, but thinking ahead as a precautionary measure.

Came across this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRXkt6Dgi4k

Does 303 works and if so, have seen many videos about it, does anyone here has any experience with it?

Also, is procedure that simple and easy for my Civic ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoZJ82pvrts&t=31s

Feel free to advice or suggest anything else too, thank you and Merry Xmas
smile.gif

I seen that and thought "How Stupid Could You Be". To me that's like putting oil on your brake rotors to reduce wear.

I've seen that video and it got me thinking, then I circle back to having those belts go well over 100K miles with no treatment at all. I'm sure there are many others here with similar results, I just don't see any upside, only downside.

I think the best things you can do when replacing a serpentine belt is make sure the pulleys are clean, especially any pulley that has V-grooves in it. The main damper pulley on some engines collects dirt because it is low on the engine and can get junk tossed up from the tires in some instances. Over time it can get packed in there, that will shorten belt life in a big way if it isn't properly addressed. I make sure that is spotless. I also check the tensioner, and replace it when needed. Those two steps IMO will benefit a belt a lot more than a 303 treatment.

Merry Christmas!

Makes sense and I appreciate your feedback. Yes, these days belts last a LOOOOOOONG time. I'll drop this whole 303 thing.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Makes sense and I appreciate your feedback. Yes, these days belts last a LOOOOOOONG time. I'll drop this whole 303 thing.

Thank you.

Smart move!

Superficial side to side cracking like the guy shows in the video does NOT mean that the belt is bad. Belts that have cracks that go the long way and/or pieces of the ribs falling off should be replaced.

So is brownish color of the belt normal? No cracks or tears or any other visible signs of anything else. Thanks

How many miles are on your Civic? I just had my serpentine belt changed by the dealer in the spring, it had about 135,000 miles on it at the time and it was in rough shape!! Shame on me for not doing it sooner!

Mine still has factory serpentine belt, at 75k and 8 year-old car, it looks fine. I always keep a spare belt in trunk though.

When belts wear they lose material or crack. 303 isn't going to help anything but maybe (and that's a strong maybe), make the surface more supple. That's not even considering what contamination of the belt surfaces would do in terms of grip on the pulleys, which could affect operation of belt-driven accessories and create noise. Honda didn't put it on for a reason so keep it off, this is some shade-tree "injineering" alright.

I have the same gen Civic, your R18 engine came with an EPDM belt as stock, not the usual neoprene. EPDM doesn't tend to crack, instead the material is lost between the ribs. This causes the belt to shift slightly, slip or lose grip. It's a better failure mode than cracks and chunks of ribs falling off and EPDM doesn't dry rot as much either. Overall a much longer lasting belt. To accurately measure wear on these types of belts you need a gauge, sight is not good enough.

Gates will send you a free belt gauge. Advance auto parts had a promotion a while back too where they gave out free Dayco belt gauges. On this page click the link that says to request a free gauge. I got mine from them and it works great.
http://www.gates.com/products/automotive/tools-and-sales-aids/belt-wear-diagnosis/belt-wear-gauge

I recommend measuring first, because it's free and tells you definitively whether you need to replace or not. You may find it's not worn enough at all and avoid the headache of doing the job.

If you do the job here are some tips:
1. Make sure you compress the hydraulic tensioner slowly, if you go too fast you can snap off the part the wrench or tensioner tool is pushing on and then you're really screwed and will have to replace the whole tensioner.
2. They had a TSB where they changed the belt routing for the 2006 models and beyond due to buzzing caused by the belt routing, TSB 06-059. Whether you already had it done or not, make sure you get the new part number with the longer belt and route it according to the new layout on the TSB.
3. They also had a TSB where 09-007 where the old routing of the belt also put extra pressure on the tensioner pivot bolt which could break it. You may want to replace that bolt like the TSB recommends while you have the belt off, definitely use the new longer belt and routing to put less pressure on the new bolt.

Quote:
So is brownish color of the belt normal? No cracks or tears or any other visible signs of anything else. Thanks

On the smooth side? Yes. Mine has been brown since the day I bought it, although I imagine this has more to do with their OE belt supplier than anything and not a metric for wear.

Thanks NoNameJoe, I appreciate your valuable advice and input. I actually already have that tool and it does show that belt is good.

Although, I must say I am not an expert at using it
wink.gif

Yes, Honda didn't put anything on it and 303 seems to be a snake oil, being utilized for so many different things!

I have heard many of these EPDM hoses can last life of the car or for a long time.

Yeah, I have read on many forums and websites to very very slowly and gently push on 17mm tensioner, since it's hydraulic and can be easily damaged if rushed...

Thanks again for your help. Guess, I'll hold on to the belt for now.

Watch his other videos where he uses ATF and a heat gun to restore black plastic. And spray paint to restore leather seats. Insane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back