A Christmas plane story

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was way back in the mid-70’s.

Just before Christmas in my Coast Guard days I received orders for transfer from a ship based in Kodiak AK back down to the lower 48. During those days there was just one flight out each morning with Wein Air Alaska. On the day of departure it was in the mid-teens and snowing moderately. The flight was still on so after the trip to the Kodiak airport and boarding the plane, we taxied to the end of the runway at the foot of Mt. Barometer. The other end of the runway ran out into the sea. In true carrier fashion the pilot revved up the engines on the twin jet Boeing ( can’t remember the type) and let go of the brakes.

As we built up speed I could feel the aircraft start to twist sideways as she slipped on the icy runway. First one way then the other. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who left deep imprints in the vinyl handrests. Finally we lifted off and a huge sigh of relief was heard among the passengers.

A few moments later the Captain announced over the speaker system that “the Kodiak airport had just closed.”

Merry Christmas everyone.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Great story, thanks for sharing!

Merry Christmas to you!

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you as well.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I remember that airline.

Yep I heard even back then that Wein had some top notch pilots flying for them. In those days there were lots of short airstrips and even some gravel strips. I remember planes landing at Dutch Harbor whenever we pulled in there. The gravel kicking up against the aluminum fuselage could be heard for some distance. I’m guessing many had bush pilot experience as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back