Mercon 6 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 f150 auto trans,4,6 v8. I'm told it takes mercon 5. I do a lot of heavy towing and I want to run fully synthetic. What should I do?

Last edited:
I don't know, but Maxlife will work great with no problems
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I have a 2000 f150 auto trans,4,6 v8. I'm told it takes mercon 5. I do a lot of heavy towing and I want to run fully synthetic. What should I do?

What should you do?

Make sure the trans stays cools enough.

That is it. Period.

Mercon V will last forever towing as LONG AS THE TRANS STAYS COOL enough.

I have used M1 ATF for many years in Ford trans. Performs very well.

Mobil 1 it is Fellas! Merry Christmas!

By the way, I use M1 ATF in my Ford PS pumps and have not had a failure with this ATF.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex

What should you do?

Make sure the trans stays cools enough.

That is it. Period.

Mercon V will last forever towing as LONG AS THE TRANS STAYS COOL enough.

That's not really true with the 4r70 series transmissions. They are notoriously hard on fluid. The mercon v fluid was invented because of this transmission. The torque converter clutch circuit shears the heck out of the fluid by it's very design. High temps make it worse and the fluid wears out faster, but even kept cool it won't last forever.

My experience with the 4r70 series transmissions is that with heavy use 60k is a good interval for full fluid exchange. Mine was showing signs of worn fluid at about that interval and my temps rarely exceed 180 (though they can and do depending on what I'm pulling)

Highly recommend a synthetic fluid for a truck that gets worked. Mobil 1 is good. Was not impressed with BG.

This last time I used Amsoil Signature Series and upgraded my auxiliary cooler at the same time. Temps and shift performance has never been better.

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back