What did you get for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are Jewish, but we made a tradition of exchanging gifts of something to wear,
She got me a new Carhartt sherpa lined jacket and I got her Merrell mid-rise hiking boots because
she wants to go hiking once spring arrives.

PlayStation 4, PS4 VR Skyrim Bundle (recent headset version # CUH-ZVR2), TP-Link TC-7610 docsis 3.0 cable modem, ankle holster for Walther PPS, and one of those non-stick copper plated frying pans.

Well, we don't want, need or ask for anything after 40 yrs of marriage. So what we do is spend the money on a nice vacation. A nice Christmas card and a little something to open under the tree. This is what makes my wife happy...me too!
wink.gif

Happy Holidays Skyactiv but I have news for you. Lots of Jewish people give gifts on these holidays.

One of my old pals from high school had 2 older sisters. They were Jewish and he loved the gifts which came his way on Christmas. Alas, one of his big sisters assumed the role of traditionalist and brought the hammer down on gifts for the Christian Holy Day. The interesting part of the story for me is that the entire rest of he family followed her lead.

It's good to be thoughtful of each other. We don't exchange anything but token gifts as we live fairly well, are not impulse shoppers and almost always buy "bigger things" when they are on sale.

Me personally, you ask? (...and I know you didn't). Most everyone I know and love is on the good side of life. Concepts like generosity, helpfulness and understanding aren't foreign ones. I've always found the gift thing a source of inordinate stress. Trying to deliver a thoughtful gift whilst on a strict budget can be immensely frustrating.

Most recently, members of my family have taken to listing gift suggestions on an online service. I'm supposed to go to these lists which were made by someone settling in a chair after dinner. I don't do it. I resent it. I do not feel I have to explain it to them or anyone else. It's an invasion of an additional, unwanted tier of materialism. There's a detachment to it which is entirely unsatisfying.

A video streaming drone...[now, to figure out how to work it]! Merry Christmas everybody.

I took my wife to France and Germany in early December for her/our Christmas gift. We visited the Strasbourg and Colmar Christmas markets in France, went to Landau/Edesheim markets in Rhineland/Pfalz in Germany and then crossed the country and hung out in Munich for 3 days.

This morning I noticed something fat in my stocking hanging by the fireplace and my wife had snuck a Bifi roll home in her suitcase and surprised me with it.
smile.gif

Me and the wife split the price of a tv.50 inch Sanyo for 299 dollars.The bedroom tv died a few months ago so this was a good time to replace it.The wife was raised Jehovah so she didn't do Christmas growing up.

We don't do a whole lot of gifting these days. Finally at the point in my life if someone wants something throughout the whole year I'll get it for them. But, I do look forward to getting a couple new clothes items, and that's what I got this year. New hat, gloves, jacket, and some nice knee socks. When you're a kid you hated getting clothes, but now I look forward to it, lol.

Took the Christmas money I got from a few relatives and bought 2 gal. of Maxlife ATF to finally change the fluid in my Mercedes. Something I'd been wanting to do for 2 months!

a new Berne Hooded Jacket, and 2 speed wrenches (1/4" & 3/8")

re: the jacket. I went to put on my existing Dickies one a couple weeks back and noticed it was a bit more snug around the midsection than before, no biggie just need to lose some weight, and i have other coats.

mention this to my mom in passing conversation, OH! so you Need a new Coat? next size up?
I told her no, I just need to go back on a diet and lose a few.

but there it was under the tree...

Fitbit Ionic (family member got us an employee discount way better the Black Friday deal!)

(Not-so) Secret Santa got me glasses from my Alma mater and a t-shirt. The t-shirt has a pocket with a graphic that makes it appear that a kitty is sitting in te pocket . When you pull the pocket down a little, the kitty is actually flipping you the double bird. Haha

New sunglasses, and oh yeah my GF surprised me with a trip to Phoenix at the end of February to visit my sister. It will be a nice escape from Minnesota.

Wife picked up my new Remington 5R Milspec .308, which was rather devious of her, as when I was in there he was telling me that it wouldn't be in until February. She had setup the ruse, it was well played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back