No more steel canister filters huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it on the newer Toyotas or is all the auto world going to just pleated refill cartridges? Its a little more of a PIA to do but its ok with me. I can see whats in the pleats and what was in my oil. Kinda messy too. Ive been changing my own oil for over 40 years up until just a few years ago when I had free OC for our new car. Just wondering if everybody is doing this now.

Now? This is old school tech. My early 1980s Mercedes cars use this and it's the best design ever - fully accessible from the top with just 13mm wrenches. Why other manufacturers have to invert them and require giant funky sockets is beyond me.

I much prefer a cartridge filter topside and vertical. Totally clean, easy to look at the media, etc.

My old Porsche 356's and my Porsche 912 both has a steel filter canister with a lid. It had a Fram sticker on
it. I've seen older cars, American and foreign with same set up. No mess. You just pull the element out and wipe the leftover in the canister out with a paper towel. Drop in need element and tighten lid. We just bought a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the V6 and it has a cartridge filter on top of the engine. I haven't had the privilege of that mess yet, but the OC will probably be some time in the spring.

Last edited:
The BMW "big six" had a cartridge filter with Purolator cast right into the housing. That was the 70's.

How are you changing your oil that it is any messier than dealing with a canister? Those are the messy ones unless you're lucky enough to have one pointed straight up and down.

well i did have a pickup that was up and down.I mean instead if just wiping the sealing surface clean and screwing the new on now you have clean out the old oil, and use a o ring etc. Not much more just a few extra steps that you never did with steel cans. Its all easy to an old wretch like me. Got more time than money. That's always been the truth in my life. LOL

I don't have any experience with Toyota cartridges, but on our Jeep the cartridge is right on top of the engine. Super easy access and no mess. Easiest oil change I've ever done.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I don't have any experience with Toyota cartridges, but on our Jeep the cartridge is right on top of the engine. Super easy access and no mess. Easiest oil change I've ever done.

Our BMWs are the same- ridiculously easy to replace.

I have a 2016 Toyota Camry and the cartridge is a pain in the a-- to removed.It is located on the bottom of the engine a requires the replacement of two o-rings and a special wrench,very messy,note to Toyota -move cartridge to top of engine !

I personally prefer the canister style. Less waste of resources... even though a good chunk probably gets recycled.

I have no problem with the cartridge filter on my IS, yes it leaks out a bit, but not all over the engine like the Jeep. Right at the bottom near the drain plug, so I just slide the pan a few inches.
The RX is a dream, mounted upward, with a drain plug in it. As far as seals and oiling them, I just leave the mess to lubricate, and I just leave seal a few times over, never leaks, OCD is overrated.
I like to see what's inside before I this my filter in, not after.

Originally Posted By: Danno
IIRC, the 2018 Camry has the "old school" steel canister filter.
Cartridges are "old school." Spin-ons have only been around since about the late 1950s. Earlier vehicles had cartridge filters (if any), including our '52 Ferguson tractor, '54 Chevy, and '68 IH tractor. Those filters were much larger and much easier to access than the recent Toyota cartridges.

Spin-on or cartridges I care not.

Access - I do care about.

Remember the GM cars in the late 80's with the oil filter inside the oil pan?!?!?

Yeah … even the Pentastar is a treat … upfront and center …
Now if they could put a tiny actuator on a Fumoto valve ?

I've been told that you loosen the cap, or take it off, before dropping the drain plug so that excess oil in the canister will drain down. At least that's what the service guy does when he changes the GM 1.4T, and before that a GM 2.4L.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Now? This is old school tech. My early 1980s Mercedes cars use this and it's the best design ever - fully accessible from the top with just 13mm wrenches. Why other manufacturers have to invert them and require giant funky sockets is beyond me.

I much prefer a cartridge filter topside and vertical. Totally clean, easy to look at the media, etc.

Yep. + 1000000000

Originally Posted By: jimmyjack
.... Just wondering if everybody is doing this now.

No, contrary to what Pat Goss has on his yt video on oil filters, most manufactures are not going the cartridge filter. The vast majority are still spin-on/canister filter applications. And some manufacturers that had gone to cartridge application went back to canister style. It costs more per unit to have/put a cartridge housing on a vehicle. However as noted, cartridge filters are not a new concept.

The cartridge filter/housing on top of the engine is well adapted to oil and filter changes. If one chooses, using something like a MityVac extractor means that getting under the vehicle and touching the drain bolt not required. The ones under the engine especially the Toyota 'imo', not as well adapted.

Personally still prefer the canister/spin on type for removal/installation ease, but cartridge on engine top would be a close second.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
I have a 2016 Toyota Camry and the cartridge is a pain in the a-- to removed.It is located on the bottom of the engine a requires the replacement of two o-rings and a special wrench,very messy,note to Toyota -move cartridge to top of engine !

I don't open the bottom seal on my filter housing. Still have the factory small o-ring.

My 2007 Fusion has the cartridge but my 2017 Fusion has the spin on. I prefer the cartridge for ease of inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back