Question about E Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read about ECores and saw the Fram Youtube video about various endcaps. I have never seen an ECore filter cut apart but may buy and cut one just for education. My question is this, has anyone ever seen an ECore fail in any manner? Not trying to start an argument, but, the ECore seems sturdier than the Fram fiber end caps. The Fram fiber end caps are just lightly glued onto the edge of the filter pleat, where the ECore seems to use a deep layer of adhesive that soaks into the edge and sides of the fllter pleat.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ecore failures are typically media blowing through a wide spaced center tube cage. Don't see it much anymore, as I think the designers finally realized the center tube cage needed to be less open to provide adequate media support.

Also, some ecore filters have/had very flimsy attached and very thin end caps (ie, the old SupetTech filters). Actually the Frams have very firmly glued end caps - opposite of what you're thinking.

Most ecores today aren't too bad, and seem pretty reliable construction wise since we haven't seen failures posted here like a few years ago.

The Fram design works very well and the media is well bonded to the fiber end caps.
This is not a typical failure point.
The main rap on ecores was that the media could get blown through the plastic center tube.
I don't know how common this ever was and newer ecore designs seem to address this possibility.
These remain the cheapest filters out there. Fram's cheapy, intended for Walmart TLEs and their under twenty buck oil changes is an ecore.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
My question is this, has anyone ever seen an ECore fail in any manner?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1806202&page=all

BOOM!!

The paper can blow through the huge "windows"
2010_03_06_OF%20024%20%28Large%29.jpg

Yikes! Thanks for the pix. I guess that I will just run Fram Ultras or Tough Gards on everything for the small extra cost. The ECore seems a bit too cheap.

Thanks for the rapid reponse :)

That tread with pics about ecores is from back in 2010. There has been design changes to the ecore cage since then.

Originally Posted By: strongt
That tread with pics about ecores is from back in 2010. There has been design changes to the ecore cage since then.

Even so.......... Is it worth the gamble? (to some?)

I have been buying Wix/Hastings/Casite/Baldwin filters from Rock auto for $1-$2 on clearance.
I can't find e-cores that cheap, and I'm getting filters 10X better quality.

I have had no issues using ecore filters, but i no longer use them because non ecore filter can be had for less $$$

I used first gen ecores last decade. Although I never had a media failure in southern climate, I also never had an ecore retain ADBV function over the course of a 3K mile O/FCI. It makes me wonder how well the BPV functionality stands up over the course of a O/FCI. So I no longer use ecores, and as mentioned by others, I can find higher quality filters at equal or lower prices for my applications.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I have had no issues using ecore filters, but i no longer use them because non ecore filter can be had for less $$$

This, Walmart recently sold me a bunch of ST filter that's non ecore for $1.50 ea.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
I have read about ECores and saw the Fram Youtube video about various endcaps. I have never seen an ECore filter cut apart but may buy and cut one just for education. My question is this, has anyone ever seen an ECore fail in any manner? Not trying to start an argument, but, the ECore seems sturdier than the Fram fiber end caps. The Fram fiber end caps are just lightly glued onto the edge of the filter pleat, where the ECore seems to use a deep layer of adhesive that soaks into the edge and sides of the fllter pleat.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have used quite a few eCores. They begin to lose ADBV function about 2500 miles into an oil change. The elements are pristine up to 6000 on the Ranger. The PF1250 is over priced in my view. WIX makes a better filter.

Here is a virgin cut and post.
PF1250 cut and post.

I have personally used many an ecore filter without incident, mostly AC/Delco on past and present GM vehicles. I do indeed like the fact that the gaps in the cage have been made smaller. I have ran them out to the limit of the OLM that has reached 8k. Although they aren't my first choice i will use them without hesitation. My first choice is the Fram TG btw.

Here is an STP (e-core) filter that was caked in gunk, and it held just fine.
full-4879-6941-1_2.jpg

full-4879-6942-1_3.jpg

full-4879-6968-3_2.jpg

full-4879-6969-3_3.jpg

The original design did have issues with blowouts, have not seen any in years.
I would use an e-core with no worries at all.

For those that say they have used them with no issues, I would like to see all your c&p threads for each and every single one please.

That first picture is from my thread... the conclusions were if the pleats were tight, plenty and even, the design is perfectly fine. If not, there's a risk of a blowout. You could run an ecore with a blown filter media for 10k miles and never know it. If they came in clear cans so I could inspect the filter media before use I would buy them. Otherwise, buy a filter with a steel center cage and a solid history.

Originally Posted By: webfors
For those that say they have used them with no issues, I would like to see all your c&p threads for each and every single one please.

Well, I stopped using ecores before I joined BITOG and I have yet to do a c&p.

However, you may not have noticed, the wide open area of the polymer core of the ecore allowed me to visually inspect the media quite well from the filter outlet on the first generation ecores, and I never saw a loss of integrity of the media. Lack of c&p to me only reflects on inspection of the end caps of the ecore design. Determining whether the spring is still functioning does not require c&p. Determination of ADBV function does not require a c&p. Only the most severe of BPV failures could ever be seen via c&p of any canister oil filter.

So you'll just have to take my word. Or not; your choice.

Last edited:

That first picture is from my thread... the conclusions were if the pleats were tight, plenty and even, the design is perfectly fine. If not, there's a risk of a blowout. You could run an ecore with a blown filter media for 10k miles and never know it. If they came in clear cans so I could inspect the filter media before use I would buy them. Otherwise, buy a filter with a steel center cage and a solid history.

I should have one off a 115 horse Mercury outboard this spring that I can c and p for those interested.

Mercury filters are Ecore so I am assuming whatever the new engine came with is also ecore, but obviously that isn't always the case. We shall see.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I should have one off a 115 horse Mercury outboard this spring that I can c and p for those interested.

Mercury filters are Ecore so I am assuming whatever the new engine came with is also ecore, but obviously that isn't always the case. We shall see.

I would like to see it. Thanks in advance.

I have run a number of eCore filters without issue. These are the 5 remaining used eCore filters.
PH820 #1
PH820 #2
PH820 #3
PH820 #4
AC Delco PF1250

I have to conclude they all worked fine for the oil changes I have been doing.
Happy New Year!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back