New car 1st OC. when to change factory fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some of you like to get the factory fill out soon after break in. Is that mandatory with the new cars now or is it OK to wait until 1st recommended service at 10,000 mi? I think not myself! I want to change it now with 2500 mi not at 10,000. Any thought's. Thanks

10k is a lot but I'd try to get to 5k. There's extra good-stuff in the assembly lube that makes it into the first batch of oil.

It's not mandatory and you won't get a definitive answer. I personally like to change the first fill at then end of the break-in period. Usually around 1000mi.

If you want to, go for it. If you want to wait that's fine too.

I also like about 1/2 the normal recommended first oil change as recommended by your car manufacture. My vehicle said the normal oil change interval is 7,500 so my first change was ~ 3,500 and the second ar 7,500 and so one. The old method from the 50s & 60s was to change at 500 or 1K but, modern engines with full flow oil filters don't need that. You're probably just find with the 10K change but, I still like the early 3-5,000 first dump because I do it myself. Ed

Thanks fellas. I'm gonna change it tomorrow. Anybody know what Toyota uses for their fact oil. I gonna use M1 OW-20 in our new 17 Highlander. Been using that for some time now in our Avalon. Merry Christmas to all.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There's extra good-stuff in the assembly lube that makes it into the first batch of oil.

I wonder....

UOA's of japanese cars "factory fill" has often turned up extra moly,

But domestic (USA/Canada/Mexico .. LOL!) don't get anything but bulk oil.

A search will reveal dozens of these threads, maybe hundreds. I am in the change it out early camp. 1000 miles is a good number.

Let’s look at it this way: engine #1). All oil changes performed right along OLM recommendations from new.
engine#2). Break in oil changed at 1500 miles, then 5000 miles, then along OLM recommendation from there on.

Now both engines are at 200k miles. Did the 2 early oil changes make any difference?

Not starting a sandstorm, but nowadays I wonder if we gain anything from those early oil changes. Personally I change oil in the 5-6k range and that includes the first oil change. So what do y’all think, does it really make any difference?

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Let’s look at it this way: engine #1). All oil changes performed right along OLM recommendations from new.
engine#2). Break in oil changed at 1500 miles, then 5000 miles, then along OLM recommendation from there on.

Now both engines are at 200k miles. Did the 2 early oil changes make any difference?

Not starting a sandstorm, but nowadays I wonder if we gain anything from those early oil changes. Personally I change oil in the 5-6k range and that includes the first oil change. So what do y’all think, does it really make any difference?

Maybe, maybe not. Mainly it’s up to the individual and his or her piece of mind. I learned it from my dad and it went on from there.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
It's not mandatory and you won't get a definitive answer. I personally like to change the first fill at then end of the break-in period. Usually around 1000mi.

This.

I always dump early, between 500-750 miles
cheers3.gif

Do what you feel is best. Changed factory fill on my Elantra after 2k. The 2017 RX350 will go a year. It will still be under 5k.

when I first got my titan, dealer told me first 3 month, I think I put like 1000 miles on it. after that they told me come every 5k.

There is no such thing as assembly lube. Factory fill is whatever dino oil gets specd on the manual. Unless it's something fancy then the marketing dept specs synthetic.

Personally I like to get the assembly dirt and ring filings out ASAP. Every filter I've ever seen on a new engine had something trapped. The second one comes out clean.

Does it make a difference? Probably not. Then again if you didn't care why bother changing the oil at all? You can probably just keep adding until you sell and it'll still make 60k miles.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
There is no such thing as assembly lube. Factory fill is whatever dino oil gets specd on the manual. Unless it's something fancy then the marketing dept specs synthetic.

Personally I like to get the assembly dirt and ring filings out ASAP. Every filter I've ever seen on a new engine had something trapped. The second one comes out clean.

Does it make a difference? Probably not. Then again if you didn't care why bother changing the oil at all? You can probably just keep adding until you sell and it'll still make 60k miles.

Amazingly naïve. There IS assembly lube, it is even specified in service manuals. Its presence is beneficial in some cases for break in. Many so-called "dino" oils are actually blended with synthetic anyway, the line between synth and dino is getting blurry.

Using the same logic why would you change the oil filter after it came out clean?

If you change early, you can get a can of LM MOS2 (napa autoparts or amazon.com) to put some extra break-in moly into the oil. Gets in the micro-valleys of the machining asperities of new surfaces.
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
I am a dealer tech (20 years with Acura/Honda) every couple years we get another service bulletin from Engineering stating that doing the first oil change early can damage the engine, and we are NOT to change the factory fill early. The factory fill oil is not the issue, it is the high moly assembly lube used they want retained in the oil. Doing the first oil change early can cause hot spots to form in the engine.

Oil filters only get out particles down to around 30 microns (or a little better if using a Fram Ultra or MicroGreen oil filter). Therefore, get a magnetic oil drain plug to grab some Fe for you. That, and the LM MOS2, is a good break-in strategy.

Originally Posted By: jimmyjack
I know some of you like to get the factory fill out soon after break in. Is that mandatory with the new cars now or is it OK to wait until 1st recommended service at 10,000 mi? I think not myself! I want to change it now with 2500 mi not at 10,000. Any thought's. Thanks

Figured this was a Toyota. I guess the first question you have to answer is, “Who do you consider authoritative regarding the design and engineering of your new car? A bunch of shade tree mechanics on an internet blog? A dealer driven only by his own profit? Or, the people who actually built your car?

Once you decide this, your decision is easy because each group tells you their recommendation. Toyota tells you 10,000 because they understand how modern oils work in THEIR engines and the efficiency of the filtering system THEY designed and tested over millions of miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back