Castrol high mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

How does it compare to the other HM oils out there? The reason I ask is that several years ago I used Valvoline HM in my 1998 Chevrolet K3500 truck with the 7.4L to see if it would stop or slow down a leak I had. It stopped the leak.

After using it for awhile, I started using Trop Artic blend in the truck because I got a great deal on this oil and bought a lot of it. I recently ran out of it and decided to try Castrol HM in the truck because I had heard Castrol was on the thicker side and wanted to see if it would quiet down some of the engine noise this truck has. The engine never leaked with the Trop Artic in it.

Today I notice an oil spot under the truck and there is a drip hanging off of the cross member. To say the least, I'm not impressed with it as far as leaks go. I only changed to the Castrol last month so the oil has not been in the engine very long and I have not put hardly any miles on the truck since I installed it.

Has anyone else experienced this after using this oil?

Wayne

Last edited:
I used maxlife in my beat to death integra. It went from burning a quart every 500 miles to burning a quart every 1000 miles.

Originally Posted By: wtd
... in my 1998 Chevrolet K3500 truck with the 7.4L to see if it would stop or slow down a leak I had. It stopped the leak.....
Today I notice an oil spot under the truck and there is a drip hanging off of the cross member. To say the least, I'm not impressed with it as far as leaks go.

My 7.4 liter K3500 has almost 280,000 miles..

HOW MANY miles does your have?

Next Q: how long do you really expect it to last before no leaks happen? Forever?

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
I used maxlife in my beat to death integra. It went from burning a quart every 500 miles to burning a quart every 1000 miles.

Was the loss of oil from leaks or consumption?

I recently switched to High Mileage from Maxlife on my Jeep Commander HEMI with 107K miles. . "Burning' 1/4 quart every 1000 miles vs. near a half quart prior. I don't think you can go wrong with either oil. I prefer Castrol but again just my personal preference. Castrol is in both motorcycles and 3 of my vehicles. PUP in the other two vehicles. Rotella T6 in the tractor. I would not stress over either choice.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
... in my 1998 Chevrolet K3500 truck with the 7.4L to see if it would stop or slow down a leak I had. It stopped the leak.....
Today I notice an oil spot under the truck and there is a drip hanging off of the cross member. To say the least, I'm not impressed with it as far as leaks go.

My 7.4 liter K3500 has almost 280,000 miles..

HOW MANY miles does your have?

Next Q: how long do you really expect it to last before no leaks happen? Forever?

Mine only has about 115,500 miles on it. My point was that it quit leaking with the Valvoline HM and didn't leak with the Trop Artic blend which was not a HM oil. Why would it start leaking again with the Castrol HM?

With Castrol, I noticed on my Liberty it didn't leak at all for the first 1000 miles of the OCI, then after that it leaked quite a bit more. Maxlife always leaked. Running Pennzoil in it now and it seems to be working the best. Worked well in my XJ.

Mine only has about 115,500 miles on it.

That isn't much at all......

My point was that it quit leaking with the Valvoline HM and didn't leak with the Trop Artic blend which was not a HM oil. Why would it start leaking again with the Castrol HM?

No idea....
you'd think once a "seal is conditioned" it'll stay that way for a while.

I'd chalk it up to "PURE COINCIDENCE" - maybe the leak was going to start no matter what.(?)

Switch oils and see if it goes away again.....?

I ran Castrol HM 20W50 in my 87 Porsche 944 Turbo for the 10 years I owned it. 180,000 miles and still original engine and turbo.

I guess I will finish out this change and see what happens. I looked back at my records and it was Pennzoil HM that fixed the leak and not Valvoline HM. I may go back to the Pennzoil after this if it's still leaking. Thanks for the replies.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back