Can't bleed PS system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merry Christmas BITOG.

I can't seem to bleed the Jeep's PS system. Lock to lock and partially lock to partially lock easily 50+ times with the wheels raised and there's still air coming out of the reservoir.

I have a new high pressure hose, but the original low pressure hose. Perhaps the old constant tension clamps aren't sealing and allowing some air into the system? Each burp creates some decent air bubbles.

Originally Posted By: Silk
You must be tired.

So grab a tire and move it lock to lock?

How’s this different than just using the steering wheel?

You must be tired.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Yes, it's more likely to cavitate if you use the steering wheel. Just slowly lock to lock a dozen times with a road wheel. And engine off, cavitation again.

Last edited:
What happens is the return line gets microscopic cracks in it and sucks air in through those. So that being said, it'll be kind of hard to get all the air out. I recently put a new Dorman cooler on my Liberty and it was sucking in air still, ended up double clamping it and that made a difference for sure. I'd get some 3/8" trans tubing and make some new return lines for the cooler, double clamp and be done.

Yes, it's more likely to cavitate if you use the steering wheel. Just slowly lock to lock a dozen times with a road wheel. And engine off, cavitation again.

3 posts in and I am still scratching my head. Thanks anyways.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Is there a tiny bit of moisture in your p/s fluid?

One drop of water can create a lot of foam and looks like air. And water tends to settle at the lowest level so it's difficult to remove.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
What happens is the return line gets microscopic cracks in it and sucks air in through those. So that being said, it'll be kind of hard to get all the air out...

Exactly what I was thinking.

Are you sure air is not being continuously added to the system? I've never had one not get the air out within a few cycles.

3 posts in and I am still scratching my head. Thanks anyways.

If you have the engine running it will cavitate at the pump, and so the air is going nowhere, so don't run the engine. Turning the steering wheel will turn the box too fast, and again it will cavitate and the air will go nowhere. You have to be gentle and push that air back up the return line.

It appears to be weeping around the return line's fitting at the steering gear. I'll get a new o ring for that and hopefully find a new return line somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back