Did Mobil 1 already meet dexos1 gen2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

It seems that some oil companies had already begun reducing calcium in their oils when LSPI started to become a problem. Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge are in this category. I'm wondering if they already met the new gen2 dexos standard but obviously couldn't say so?

The "old " M1 version probably did. It has been a low-calcium formulation for years, which is consistent with Gen2 specs and, iirc, 2018 GM manuals call for GM-branded oil, an oil meeting dexos1Gen2 OR dexos1 Mobil1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh
The "old " M1 version probably did. It has been a low-calcium formulation for years, which is consistent with Gen2 specs and, iirc, 2018 GM manuals call for GM-branded oil, an oil meeting dexos1Gen2 OR dexos1 Mobil1.

Yes...that's what I was getting at.

I think that someone using Mobil 1 for the last few years was using a DG2 without even knowing it.

Yep, just guessing here, but I suspect you are correct.
M1 was a D1-G2 oil back in the D1-G1days.

Originally Posted By: pbm
It seems that some oil companies had already begun reducing calcium in their oils when LSPI started to become a problem. Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge are in this category. I'm wondering if they already met the new gen2 dexos standard but obviously couldn't say so?

Well, Castrol Edge has been heavy-Ca the last few years. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4419906/Castrol_Edge_5w30;_8,930km;_20 and others.
Castrol Edge a few years ago was using low-Ca formulas. They switched BACK to high-Ca. Confusing, I know. Of course with dexos1 Gen2 Castrol Edge black bottles hitting the shelf now, they have probably returned to low-Ca formulas, but we'll see soon as oil analyses start coming in.

M1 has been consistent with their low-Ca formulas for several years now. My 2018 Chevy manual says I can use any generation of dexos1 Mobil1.
They still may have had to change their formula for Gen2 at least for timing chain wear tests. We don't know.
On the other hand, GM has cooperated with Exxon-Mobil for so long now that they could have based their dexos1 Gen2 test limits on Mobil1 results !!!! I suspect that.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: Danh

Yes...that's what I was getting at.
I think that someone using Mobil 1 for the last few years was using a DG2 without even knowing it.

I had settled on using QSUD before learning about LSPI and going back to M1 5W30 (and a few other low calcium XOM 5W30s after that).
I broke my long run of M1 changes with d1G2 Pennzoil Gold 5W30 recently, I know it is marketed as "only" a blend but wemay posted a pretty smokin PDS for it a little while back. Wish I knew its NOACK loss, but at least I know it's 13% or below with the dexos license (the M1 oils I had used varied between about 6-10% NOACK loss by various analyses I found online). I would have tried M1 0W30 if I had found a d1G2 jug, but those haven't showed up around me yet...went with the Gold for this winter changes as it may have had the most impressive CCS and MRV test results I have seen for a 5W30.
It's really nice for me to have d1G2 so I can feel good about picking oils that are not XOM...

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
As long as they lubricate your engine, I don't see why any oil can't be used on any car. Dexos is just a label.

Can I get those labels on eBay … then put them on Golden State oil bottles and double the price !

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
As long as they lubricate your engine, I don't see why any oil can't be used on any car. Dexos is just a label.

My car with a direct injection turbo engine was recalled due to LSPI issues...dexos1 Gen 2 is the only standard that tests for an oil's LSPI resistance so I look for it. Subaru also recommends synthetic oil for my engine.
If I still had my RAV4 with its NA V6, I wouldn't care about dexos1. I'm planning to keep my present car for a while, so I choose products that I think help avoid problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back