AC Delco filters. Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Equipped with 98% multi-pass filtering efficiency at 25-30 microns.

They already fail my 20 micron requirement.

Yup, that 0.000393701 Inch delta is clearly the difference between a long and happy service life and a premature destiny as a rebuilder's core. #rolleyes #mechanicalhypochondria

My opinion: High confidence that the filters in question are suitable and fit for purpose.

Originally Posted By: WANG

Yup, that 0.000393701 Inch delta is clearly the difference between a long and happy service life and a premature destiny as a rebuilder's core. #rolleyes #mechanicalhypochondria

My opinion: High confidence that the filters in question are suitable and fit for purpose.

Actually I'm waiting for the next filter Manufacturer to drop to 10 or 15 microns. Your oil is only as good as your filter keeps it. All debris causes wear.

Where I work have a fleet of GM vans/trucks with 4.8 V8s all running between 120K - 250K miles on them.
That's all they've run with AC Delco filters and dealer oil since 2009.
IMHO I'd say they work .
Use them with confidence.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Personally I'd shy away from any AC Delco oil filter that ends with an "e." Ecore is not for me. The others are fine for regular change intervals, not extended ones.

This.

I've been a member of BITOG long enough to shun any ecore filter. With that said, my new truck had the standard GM provided first two dealer services on the house. Plus, of course, it came with a Delco filter from the factory. It hasn't blown up yet. Going forward I'll probably do the Wix 57045 or Fram Ultra XG10575. The Wix is actually less expensive than the Delco, and the Fram only a $1 or so more. I don't necessarily think Delco's are bad, just better filters for less or slightly more. If I could find the traditional non ecore PF63's I'd be totally fine with them. Those are more scarce than hen's teeth, though.

Actually I'm waiting for the next filter Manufacturer to drop to 10 or 15 microns. Your oil is only as good as your filter keeps it. All debris causes wear.
The only oil filter that has a chance at scrubbing out significant amounts of sub-10micron junk is the MicroGreen oil filter. http://www.microgreenfilter.com/ MicroGreen uses a small disc-filter inside to slowly clean out extra small particles over time, and the other parts of their oil filter are like an M1 syn-blend or Fram ToughGaurd. Although, the Fram Ultra is 80% efficient at 5 microns according to a bitog post I read from a Fram engineer posted a long time ago.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The only oil filter that has a chance at scrubbing out significant amounts of sub-10micron junk is the MicroGreen oil filter.

Although, the Fram Ultra is 80% efficient at 5 microns according to a bitog post I read from a Fram engineer posted a long time ago.

I haven't seen any research data that supports the Microgreen actually does what it claims.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I haven't seen any research data that supports the Microgreen actually does what it claims.

If you don't believe MicroGreen claims or don't understand parallel path filtration, and you can't see for yourself the internal micro-filter disc inside the MicroGreen, then you should use a Fram Ultra. The Ultra does arguably as well using a double thick synthetic glass fiber media.
...unless....
If you don't believe Fram's claims or can't see the dual-layer media of the Fram Ultra, then any oil filter you see is the same to you.
thumbsup2.gif

IRV,

There are many GM vehicles with high mileage running AC Delco filters.

The applications using an eCore with the nitrile combo valve would be of more concern because they may lose ADBV function before the oil is ready to be changed. A separate bypass is better.

The cage is more robust than when first introduced.

Originally Posted By: WANG

I second this statement!

Based on this info, I think I will avoid them. I am sure the cost is comparable to something that is somewhat better anyways by the sounds of things?
Thanks for the info.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: irv
Based on this info, I think I will avoid them. I am sure the cost is comparable to something that is somewhat better anyways by the sounds of things?
Thanks for the info.
cheers3.gif

To each their own - I've been using AC Delco filters for the last 50K+ miles with no problems. Guess my engine should blow any time now? LOL!
smile.gif

I'm confident enough in their quality that I plan on running them on my new Corvette during the powertrain warranty period (7 years or 100,000 miles) and I might even continue running them after that as well. (if I did switch it would be to a Fram Ultra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back