Gas mileage-2017 1.5Ltr Malibu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Conversing with my niece last night, she was complaining about the lousy gas mileage with her 2017 1.5 Ltr Chevy Malibu. I never thought about her gas tank size last night, but she said when she fills it, the range only reads 358 kms per tank.

I did some looking today and seen, (if correct?) her tank is only 13 Gallons which I assume would be in U.S.?

Doing some converting, 13 U.S. gallons equals about 10.8 CDN gallons, or about 49 liters, so, being since it is now winter and winter gas is in use, I think what she is seeing is about right as far as her gas mileage goes?

I read somewhere, and of course under ideal conditions, ie: summer time, her range is anywhere from 407 to 450 km's city.

Does this seem correct to you guys, or am I missing something? She wants to take it in as she feels she is getting lousy gas mileage.
http://www.chevrolet.ca/2017-malibu-mid-size-sedan/specs/trims.html

It's funny, but I guess not all that surprising, that depending on whose links use choose to look at, they are all different as far as sizes, capacities, fuel range, weight etc, goes.
21.gif

Gas tank is very small on the 16+ 9th gen malibu's only 13 gallons. Ive had a few as loaners and just filling them up before i returned them the guage would drop off full after only a few miles. My 15 is a 18.5 gallon tank. I can get 500+ on a full tank with mine.

My aunt has a 2018 Malibu rental right now, we’ve been driving all around in it for a few weeks. It’s lifetime mpg is around 30 mpg which I think is pretty good.

The rest of the car is dreadful though.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Gas tank is very small on the 16+ 9th gen malibu's only 13 gallons. Ive had a few as loaners and just filling them up before i returned them the guage would drop off full after only a few miles. My 15 is a 18.5 gallon tank. I can get 500+ on a full tank with mine.

I assumed, just today, with the 1.5 ltr engine, the gas tank was likely on the small size, and after reading about it, I was correct.
If I read it correctly, it sounds like the tank size has been increased again for 2018?

I'll tell her to pay particular attention to how many ltrs she adds and the cost then do the comparison. From what I can gether, I really don't think she has a fuel mileage issue? I know she also has a heavy foot, so based on all this info, I think she right in the ballpark?

She loves the car, and it's a good looking one (white) but I know she is unhappy about it's mpg rating.
Maybe, after I tell her what I learned here and looked up myself, she will be a little happier about it?

Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766

I assumed, just today, with the 1.5 ltr engine, the gas tank was likely on the small size, and after reading about it, I was correct.
If I read it correctly, it sounds like the tank size has been increased again for 2018?

I'll tell her to pay particular attention to how many ltrs she adds and the cost then do the comparison. From what I can gether, I really don't think she has a fuel mileage issue? I know she also has a heavy foot, so based on all this info, I think she right in the ballpark?

She loves the car, and it's a good looking one (white) but I know she is unhappy about it's mpg rating.
Maybe, after I tell her what I learned here and looked up myself, she will be a little happier about it?

the 18's+ got a bigger tank. I love the body style of the 9th gens but my 2.5L has more power and still gets 39 mpg on the highway.

These are sharp looking, I haven't had the chance to drive one yet. 2.0T is the way to go!

Agreed the small tank is probably giving the illusion of lousy fuel economy. Not sure why they started off with such a small tank in a midsize car.

Our Malibu gets about 30 MPG combined (70% hyw/30% city) with our driving. I've gotten up to 49 MPG while hypermiling it from Grand Rapids to Lansing MI.

Small turbo engines can get great gas mileage but if you are constantly on and off the gas pedal the MPG will plummet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
These are sharp looking, I haven't had the chance to drive one yet. 2.0T is the way to go!

Agreed the small tank is probably giving the illusion of lousy fuel economy. Not sure why they started off with such a small tank in a midsize car.

GM was likely a little over positive with their MPG ratings and thought this size of tank would be plenty?
Sounds like, seeing as they are increasing their tank size again, they've had a complaint or 2?

Not the same issue, but I hate the fact my wife's 2017 Impala has the fuel fill neck on the passenger side of the car!
spankme2.gif

Conversing with my niece last night, she was complaining about the lousy gas mileage with her 2017 1.5 Ltr Chevy Malibu. I never thought about her gas tank size last night, but she said when she fills it, the range only reads 358 kms per tank.

I did some looking today and seen, (if correct?) her tank is only 13 Gallons which I assume would be in U.S.?

Doing some converting, 13 U.S. gallons equals about 10.8 CDN gallons, or about 49 liters, so, being since it is now winter and winter gas is in use, I think what she is seeing is about right as far as her gas mileage goes?

I read somewhere, and of course under ideal conditions, ie: summer time, her range is anywhere from 407 to 450 km's city.

Does this seem correct to you guys, or am I missing something? She wants to take it in as she feels she is getting lousy gas mileage.

It's funny, but I guess not all that surprising, that depending on whose links use choose to look at, they are all different as far as sizes, capacities, fuel range, weight etc, goes.
21.gif

There is a Canadian gallon?

Originally Posted By: 555

21.gif

There is a Canadian gallon?

Imperial/CDN, the same thing.

Convert Imperial gallon to US gallons - Conversion of Measurement ...
https://www.convertunits.com/from/Imperial+gallon/to/US+gallons
More information from the unit converter. How many Imperial gallon in 1 US gallons? The answer is 0.8326741881485. We assume you are converting between imperial gallon and gallon [US]. You can view more details on each measurement unit: Imperial gallon or US gallons. The SI derived unit for

No such thing as a "Canadian" gallon. Years ago Canada used the IMPERIAL Gallon (one fifth larger than the US Gallon) but no longer used since Canada went metric about 40 years, switching to liters (litres). Something we should have done a looooong time ago.

If she has a lead foot and this is a T-GDI engine then fuel economy will suffer. Driving habits impact fuel economy a great deal. Has she calculated her mileage after fueling up and compared it to the on board computer? Also check tire inflation.

Being that it is winter, it’s not the ideal time of the year for the best fuel economy anyway.

Malibu is a great car! Liking the newest version.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/malibu/2017 is a great source for info. It has the power of crowd-sourced MPG averages. Looks like a nice gaussian bell curve has developed as it should.

She should be getting around 30 MPG averaged over many fill-ups, which means maybe 22 MPG for city driving, and 38 MPG for highway driving that isn't too fast. U.S. gallons here.

Yours might fall to either side of the bell curve shown at Fuelly depending on your driving style.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I just bought a '15 Malibu 3 weeks ago and I'm disappointed in my gas mileage also. After 3 fill ups, my avg MPG is 24. I know it's winter gas being used right now and am hoping that would go up to near the 30 mpgs most of you are posting with summer gas.

I get about 95-100 miles on the first quarter tank of gas and it just plummets after that. But it is using winter gas atm and my wife drives it about 6 miles round trip everyday to drop off and pick up my daughter from school. She also use the remote start and warms the car up every time.

Originally Posted By: Eosyn
For what it's worth, I just bought a '15 Malibu 3 weeks ago and I'm disappointed in my gas mileage also. After 3 fill ups, my avg MPG is 24. I know it's winter gas being used right now and am hoping that would go up to near the 30 mpgs most of you are posting with summer gas.

I get about 95-100 miles on the first quarter tank of gas and it just plummets after that. But it is using winter gas atm and my wife drives it about 6 miles round trip everyday to drop off and pick up my daughter from school. She also use the remote start and warms the car up every time.
My 2015 Malibu is getting bout the same right now. I also changed jobs and have more stop and go now. In the summer i average 27-31 combined. When i take my summer road trips i get 38+mpg with the AC on and car loaded down.

Last edited:
Anyone considering the new version of the Malibu, I suggest shopping around or paying close attention. Here’s what I’ve noticed:

-Slow. Oh my god is it underpowered.
-Seats are small, I’m 6’1” and my shoulders are at the top of the seats, there isn’t an ounce of lumbar support.
-Everything but the middle arm rest is the hardest plastic imaginable and the fabric on the arm rests of the door panels is so rough it’s like velcro.
-Brake pedal is hard as a rock
-I can’t handle the stop/start at lights. Sooooo annoying, only way to turn it off is to shift to Manual, then press + 5 times until 6th
-It’s extremely loud on the highway, the road noise from the back of the car is really bad.
-Suspension is hard on surface streets. Highway is smooth.

-I do like the functionality of the stereo, with Apple CarPlay. Sound leaves some to be desired but it’s ok.
-Good mid-power. But that’s about all it’s got, 1/2 down on the pedal is the same as full throttle. 5k max RPMs.

Eosyn and gabriel9766, of course your 2015 Malibu was the previous generation body (heavier car), and used the 2.5L DI 4-cylinder, both very different from this 2017 Malibu. That 1.5L DI turbo is a new game in a lighter car. I have a similar version of that engine in a 2018 Equinox and its capable of better MPG than models a couple of years ago.
2015 2.5L Malibu: 27 MPG average over many fill-ups on Fuelly.com
2017 1.5L Malibu: 30 MPG compared

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Our Malibu gets about 30 MPG combined (70% hyw/30% city) with our driving. I've gotten up to 49 MPG while hypermiling it from Grand Rapids to Lansing MI.

Small turbo engines can get great gas mileage but if you are constantly on and off the gas pedal the MPG will plummet.

Oh yeah...I can get pretty impressive mileage with the Forester if I can make myself be gentle on the pedal, avoid short trips, and keep it below 70.
I rarely get that impressive mileage...

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Malibu is a great car! Liking the newest version.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/malibu/2017 is a great source for info. It has the power of crowd-sourced MPG averages. Looks like a nice gaussian bell curve has developed as it should.

She should be getting around 30 MPG averaged over many fill-ups, which means maybe 22 MPG for city driving, and 38 MPG for highway driving that isn't too fast. U.S. gallons here.

Yours might fall to either side of the bell curve shown at Fuelly depending on your driving style.

Great info guys!
cheers3.gif

My niece hasn't replied back yet after I texted her the info earlier today but she is coming up tomorrow so I'll share this info with her then.
She has had this car since the spring, I believe, and I don't believe any complaints about the fuel mileage were mentioned until this winter so it is likely the winter gas, remote start, heater, electric seats on, etc, that have made her fuel mileage suffer.

Other than that, she loves the car like I previously mentioned. My wife and I took a couple 2017 Malibus for test drives prior to us purchasing our 17 Impala. I liked it as did my wife, but with my wife already having her mind made up (she'll deny this, lol) she chose the Impala, and I mainly believe that was so she could get the 3.6 engine.
I looked at my niece's Malibu a bit last night, and maybe because it is white, it looked really sharp to me! She has her windows slightly tinted, plus it was fairly clean and I thought it looked very rich, so to speak, for being just a Malibu.

The 17's we took for a ride were surprisingly comfortable, quiet, and smooth. The 2.4 was fairly peppy for around town, but from what I have read, it lacks out on the Hwy, especially if you have a heavier foot and pass frequently.

50L tank on my corolla, and in winter I see about 375-425 on a tank. I dont know the rated mileage for the cruze but id say its about similar to what I get in winter. Whats the rated gas mileage on it? Mine is 27 city/35 hwy per fueleconomy.gov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back