LS oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, seems nobody can agree on weight for the LS chevy engine. I have 3 chevy trucks, a 09 5.3 with 35k on it a 99 with a 4.8 and 194k and a 2000 with a 5.3 and 295k on it. The 2000 is about to get a 6.0 swap and a build. I have run 5w30 and 10w30 in them but with the build and a little bit of street fun and maybe an occasional trip to the drag strip just for fun and was wondering if I could use a xw40 weight in it since the valve train will be under more stress? If not I'll try the 15w30 delo. I have heard lifters will chatter and everything in between. I want to hear from the guys that build and run these motors not sweater vest penny loafer guy who drives a stock Celica.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Penrite 45W70.

What thuuu?

Do some research with the crowd that builds the LS's as to what weight is best when dragging your built engine. For the stockers, 5 or 10w30 depending on wear/mileage and how the engine is used. I put 10w30 in all the older LS-powered Silverados I change, all of which are 6.0's over 175K. 5w in the newer, lower mileage ones (mostly 5.3 Suburbans and Tahoes).

Originally Posted By: dave123
I thought only seater vest penny lovers guys drive Chevy Trucks.

Nope, that would be the guys who love the no torque multi cam coyote motor. A 20 year old LS1 makes more torque. Lol

Originally Posted By: Sealbilly
Originally Posted By: dave123
I thought only seater vest penny lovers guys drive Chevy Trucks.

Nope, that would be the guys who love the no torque multi cam coyote motor. A 20 year old LS1 makes more torque. Lol
Skirt wearing men drive gas engine's what colors yours I bet pink lol

LOL! I'll take that Chevy truck on with my DOHC Cobra 4.6
grin.gif

I don't need torque with 4.10 gears and a 7000 RPM shift point.
thumbsup2.gif

I would run a 40 weight with spring seat pressures over 350 pounds....Just about any over .600" lift capable springs will have at least that. I like synthetic 5w40 HDEO's.

My L92 has PAC 400# dual valve springs running Mobil 5w40 TDT, No "valve Clatter". Valvetrain noise is usually incorrect pushrod length or running a camshaft with overly aggressive lobes/ramps.....Stay away for Comp XE-R cams!

Those engines will be happy with the 5w, 10w-30 and 0w-40 flavors. I have gone to the Castrol and Mobil1 0w-40s before with no issues at all. With the 0w-40 oil I couldn't even see a decrease in mileage.

With your mild weather the 10w-30 or 0w-40 would work very well.

I doubt your truck built up will have the same power per liter (100) as a stock Celica GTS does. Unless you add nitrous
of forced induction. The Celica holds up just fine on 5W30.
If your really concerned about it, choose something that meets the Porsche A40 spec. Castrol Edge 0W40.
I've built up a few Chevy small block V8's in my youth. Unless your truck is running under 13 seconds in the 1/4 mile,
don't waste your money. I've seen too many people throw money into vehicles to run embarrassing times. The only thing they
achieved was making their vehicle loud and sucky to drive.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I doubt your truck built up will have the same power per liter (100) as a stock Celica GTS does. Unless you add nitrous

Wow, I never realised that the LS and the Cleric shared common architecture, that's a new learning.

Doubt that the Celia is going to be full throttle at low revs like an LS can too...I'd go thicker...something over 3.3HTHS, whether that's a 10W30, A3/B4, or 15W40 depending...non ILSAC energy conserving basically.

I have 2 pink skirts. One is your ol ladies the other is your moms.

I can do this all day man but had rather not.

If your really concerned about it, choose something that meets the Porsche A40 spec. Castrol Edge 0W40.
I've built up a few Chevy small block V8's in my youth. Unless your truck is running under 13 seconds in the 1/4 mile,
don't waste your money. I've seen too many people throw money into vehicles to run embarrassing times. The only thing they
achieved was making their vehicle loud and sucky to drive.

Just want something a little peppy, not looking for crazy times at the drag strip. Just want to have some fun.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

LOL! I'll take that Chevy truck on with my DOHC Cobra 4.6
grin.gif

I don't need torque with 4.10 gears and a 7000 RPM shift point.
thumbsup2.gif

I'd say so, it weighs less and geared lower. I was mearly being a ahole to the guy being an ahole.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Wow, I never realised that the LS and the Cleric shared common architecture, that's a new learning.

Doubt that the Celia is going to be full throttle at low revs like an LS can too...I'd go thicker...something over 3.3HTHS, whether that's a 10W30, A3/B4, or 15W40 depending...non ILSAC energy conserving basically.

Thanks man that's what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back