WalMart Tire Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got four new General Altimax for the Kia Reo on December 30 2015 at the local WalMart. Without checking, I'd say 40-50K miles on this set of tires as of now, two years later. The receipt from WalMart says P185/65/15 which is what the door jam says and the owner's manual says. Had a damaged tire yesterday and noticed that all four tires are P195/65/15. I try to do everything for myself but I don't have a tire machine. I guess I should have checked.

What's your point? Do you want them to fix the one tire? Do you wish they put the correct size on? You didn't really notice so it can't have been that bad.
laugh.gif

I would say that someone just grabbed the wrong size tires off the shelf. Maybe got his 195s and 185s mixed up in his head. But, yes, they should have been more careful. At least they were are the same size.

Not that it's so very important or urgent but I'll bet the OP was just pointing it out.

I too would like to know what motivated him to post. If it were me the post would be about never letting your guard down.

I suppose I could throw in some Walmart bashing centered around how they didn't even notify me of the difference.

If I was huffy and puffy I could go on about how they endangered me by installing the wrong sized tires.

Maybe the 195's were an optional size?

My neighbor had this happened to him - when he pointed it out to Costco, they gave him 4 new tires at no charge.

Did Walmart document the DOT code of all 4 fires on the invoice? If they did, and the DOT code matches, they owe you 4 new tires.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
My neighbor had this happened to him - when he pointed it out to Costco, they gave him 4 new tires at no charge.

Did Walmart document the DOT code of all 4 fires on the invoice? If they did, and the DOT code matches, they owe you 4 new tires.

No they don't.
A difference in nominal section width of less than half an inch is of no matter.
If anything, the Walmart TLE gave him a slightly upgraded tire at no additional cost.
This is a no harm, no foul error.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: The Critic

No they don't.
A difference in nominal section width of less than half an inch is of no matter.
If anything, the Walmart TLE gave him a slightly upgraded tire at no additional cost.

Interesting. It's out in the garage now, but I wouldn't be surprised if that information is on the invoice. I'll have to check. When I pointed it out to them, they said there wasn't anything that they could do.

The tires still have a lot of tread. Normally, I would just replace the damaged tire with a low milage tire and then replace all four when it comes time. But I'm not sure this is good to run even slightly different size tires. (The car has stability control. Don't know what if any effect it would have.) If it was me driving it locally I wouldn't hesitate. After all they've been on there for two years and we never noticed. But my wife commutes in this car on the busy highway. Don't want to take any chances whatsoever. I guess I don't understand much about tires but I'm guessing the manufacturer would say not to use any tires besides what are spec'd.

If the tire needs to be replaced, just replace it with another 195/65/15 so all 4 are the same size. No issue whatsoever. Discount Tire lists all these as optional tire sizes for your car.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

No they don't.

Yes............but lawyers don't think that way....

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
Originally Posted By: 4WD
80% of the time I Plus 1 my tires ... have for many years

Why?

I bet they look better on the Tahoe.

Originally Posted By: wymi516
https://screenshots.firefox.com/PmteHr2PA1Mo1u5r/tiresize.com

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Thanks. Looks like Kia uses two different sizes depending on the option package for the Reo sedan. So I guess it's not big deal. I will replace that one tire only.

The DOT code is on the tire and does match the receipt. But only for one of the tires now. One of the other four was the damaged tire that I just had replaced with a 185/65/15 that I had as a backup in the garage. They discarded the old damaged tire. Only after I had it mounted and balanced did I notice the mistake. The two other original 195/65/15's had been replace after only 3 months because of an accident and were covered by insurance. So I could only "legally" prove that they made a mistake with one tire now. And, I don't care. As long as the car is safe.

The original Walmart tire has a .170 tread depth. The two replaced by the collision center have .210 tread depth. The manual says to replace at .0625 tread depth. They all look pretty much new to me.

Again, thanks for the advice.

That does suck.

I pulled out of a local tire shop with 3 Coopers and 1 Mastercraft some years back. I didn't notice it for weeks. The tread patterns were different between the 2 brands, but not super noticeable. Still ticked me off though. From that day forward I check Make/model/size before I pull away.

They HAD to have known and were just banking on me not noticing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back