oil and filter choice and OCI for college student

Status
Not open for further replies.
My younger brother going to Ole Miss , im gave him 1998 Mustang GT 4.6 110k miles, everything stock and I already change all fluid and done all the tune up, no CEL, his driving style is , he stay half miles from his college, he crank up and drive, I dont think the car even fully warm up when he get there. he come home every few month. I was thinking doing something like 1 a years oil change.

Short trips with few trips long enough to warm up, don't go well with a long oci. I'd use a conventional and change more often.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Short trips with few trips long enough to warm up, don't go well with a long oci. I'd use a conventional and change more often.

the thing is , he dont come home often, he stay 3 hours away.

Last edited:
Once a year will be fine. That's what I did for my daughter during her college years.

How many miles will he put on the car annually? If it’s low miles I would go conventional. Also what is the prior oil history of this car?

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: spasm3

the thing is , he dont come home often, he stay 3 hours away.

Maybe a gift of some oil change coupons, at a local shop. Or prepaid visa gift card.

I have similar situation with my son in a 96 Buick v-6. LOTS of short-tripping. I do a 3k or once per year OCI (whatever comes first) with Valvoline Maxlife HM and a Fram TG. 130k miles and counting...

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
M1 10w30 HM and a Fram TG or NAPA Gold.

Yearly OCI's sound reasonable.

This and maybe upgrade to Fram Ultra and not worry for a year …

Dump in Mobil 1 Annual Protection and have him rack up 20,000 miles. No point in draining it sooner. You're wasting perfectly good oil.

45.gif
27.gif

Not know what the weather conditions are where you live I'd go for the M1 annual protection and change once per year. Just make sure you get a oil filter that'll go the distance.

Durango

Just teach him to make sure it stays topped off. Once a year with anything meeting API SN should be fine.

He's a college student he's suppose to be bright and responsible. Let him worry about it.

Its time to stop father him to death.

Last edited:
The 4.6L modular motor (after 1996) is not known to be an oil-burner, nor is it known for fuel-dilution. I change the oil in my DD yearly because that's just barely 5,000 miles.

The most important thing is to make sure he checks the oil level regularly. My friend's 4.6 always burned alot of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back