I guess we know what Jay has been up to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you read the white paper?

Common school of thought nowadays - unless you get a misfire code, leave it alone.

It seems like a good spark plug tutorial. But, just like a recent similar link to a synthetic oil article, to me it sends a message to use Autolite Iridium XP in all applications. Maybe they make more profit on those? I believe there might be some subliminal vibes being sent out to the tune of good, better, best. For just a few dollars more, why not use the best for "improved engine performance and emissions". It also seems to address that problem they bring up of people choosing not to follow any plug replacement schedule.

A pleasant read, but nothing new.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Common school of thought nowadays - unless you get a misfire code, leave it alone.

Not fixing something until it's broke (no PM) is an odd concept to me.

Autolite is part of the FRAM group, if memory serves he is/was a trainer for the FRAM filter division so it is not a far stretch to see him training on the Autolite side.

Yup, but totally wrong. I can tell you about a fire truck that was running like absolute junk until someone was smart enough to pull out an oscilloscope and find that it had 5 weak coilpacks. No codes.

And definitely not "totally wrong", wildly platform specific. And one anecdote hardly is any example.

We commonly do that on our GM trucks. Run them up to 200k plus miles too, and only one failed coil as far back as I can remember.

Most modern cars and trucks have tremendously powerful and precisely controlled ignition setups. I haven't owned one in a long time that required any real maintenance of any kind for at least 100k miles...

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that the reason for 100k mile plug changes was not because the plugs were bad but so that the plugs didn't seize in the block.

Yes, it's totally and universally wrong. You should not perform maintenance or do driveability diagnosis based solely on codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back