Napa gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know much about filters but a friend says Napa gold filters are some of the best. I have been using the k&n because of the nut on the bottom makes it easier to change. But they are very expensive! I bought a old beater truck to haul wood and stuff and it had a purealator on it and the oil pressure was a little low and didn't come up much even under a load. I changed the oil and filter now the oil pressure is where it should be and with throttle it goes up. Was it the old oil or the filter? The new filter I used on the old beater truck was a Napa gold.

Last edited:
NAPA filters are excellent quality, made by Wix IIRC.

As far as the oil pressure, your results sound good. But the oil pressure is different on every vehicle in our driveway, and the older GM trucks never move at all...

Originally Posted By: Sealbilly
I don't know much about filters but a friend says Napa gold filters are some of the best. I have been using the k&n because of the nut on the bottom makes it easier to change. But they are very expensive! I bought a old beater truck to haul wood and stuff and it had a purealator on it and the oil pressure was a little low and didn't come up much even under a load. I changed the oil and filter now the oil pressure is where it should be and with throttle it goes up. Was it the old oil or the filter? The new filter I used on the old beater truck was a Napa gold.

No idea what kind of old beater truck you had but the old oil could have been fuel contaminated causing low oil pressure. Just keep an eye on it.

I cut a new NAPA Gold oil filter recently and it looks to be a very ordinary filter. In fact, not made as well as the Denso filters I've used for years.

NAPA Gold filters are internal twins to regular Wix filters. Same filter (both made by Wix), different paint and stickers.

While the filtering efficiency is nothing extraordinary, they are solid built filters that have consistently shown to do the job.

NAPA Gold filtersdo go on sale at corporate owned NAPA stores, usually 2x a year (1/2 price most times) and are a great deal then.
Some independent NAPA stores also do sales, but the amount and frequency can vary greatly.

IMO, NAPA Gold/Wix is a better filter than K&N, and is a great go-to filter for most any application.

As for the issue with the vehicle, hard to say, could have been oil, could have been filter, could have been a combination.

Originally Posted By: jackz
Will using NAPA filter void the warranty in place of a filer from the Mazda dealer ?

No, just as long as it is the correct Napa Gold application for the Mazda as listed by the Napa Gold/(Wix) look up.

Quote:
I cut a new NAPA Gold oil filter recently and it looks to be a very ordinary filter. In fact, not made as well as the Denso filters I've used for years.

LOL. Coming from the guy that posts the single word "Denso" on most every thread giving the chance, I'd expect nothing less. So just stick to Denso.

Here's my latest Napa Gold 7356 from this thread. Pics and comments speak for themselves.

The Napa Platinum I believe is the Wix XP.
I am warming up to Wix, used to think the coil spring was not as good as the leaf spring. Not any more.. From what I see they are a reliable filter made by an old line USA company. Of course there is

LUBER FINER
laugh.gif

Merry Christmas

Originally Posted By: Sealbilly
......... it had a Purolator on it and the oil pressure was a little low .... I changed the oil and filter now the oil pressure is where it should be

The old oil filter could have been sludged up from short & cold trips.

Diluted oil (fuel) also hurts oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:

LOL. Coming from the guy that posts the single word "Denso" on most every thread giving the chance, I'd expect nothing less. So just stick to Denso.

Here's my latest Napa Gold 7356 from this thread. Pics and comments speak for themselves.

I remember when you posted this ... That's a great looking filter Sayjac.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje

Yeah, there's nothing ordinary about NAPA Gold/WIX filters ... they are high-quality filters. And no, it's not a fact that Denso filters are more well-made than NAPA Gold/WIX filters.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
...Yeah, there's nothing ordinary about NAPA Gold/WIX filters ... they are high-quality filters....

Agreed. Like any filter in mass production an outlier anecdote my be found. But as noted earlier, Napa Gold/Wix filters are generally well regarded here in my observation.

Originally Posted By: jackz
Will using NAPA filter void the warranty in place of a filer from the Mazda dealer ?

No, just as long as it is the correct Napa Gold application for the Mazda as listed by the Napa Gold/(Wix) look up.

Quote:

LOL. Coming from the guy that posts the single word "Denso" on most every thread giving the chance, I'd expect nothing less. So just stick to Denso. Feliz Navidad Mr. Sayjac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back