2014 Mazda 3 2.0l oil and filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there;
I have a friend who recently baought 14 Mazda3 with 50K on it; what would you recommend for oil change and its filter, and for how long on its OCI please

I Thank You

Originally Posted By: miden851
and for how long on its OCI please

Does this car have a built-in "Oil Life Monitor"? If it does, I would follow that.

Your friend should change the oil ASAP as so they will know exactly what’s in the sump. Right now there is nothing to verify what is in there.

I’m not exactly sure if that engine uses 0w-20 but since the warranty has expired, use a major brand of 0 or 5w-20. If the engine appears to be maintained well then 5k would be okay. If there are no records of oil change then I might go with 3k intervals a couple of times. Use the OEM Denso filters. They can be purchased online at mazdaparts.org or through a dealer. If they decide to go short on intervals a synblend or even a conventional oil can be used.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My 2014 Mazda CX5 does really well on 6,000 mile oci and oem or frame ultra filters. ed
My wife's 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive 2 ltr runs 5w20 Magnatec or 5w20 QSUD (whatever is there) every 5,000 miles. 80,000 on the car. I'm dumbfounded how well it still runs. 0w20 is spec'd. More choices at 5w20 in my area. I also ran a 2014 CX-5. Love Mazda products.

Definitely do an oil change to flush out the sump and make sure the correct spec is in there. 5k intervals would be conservative on 0w20 or 5w20 of your choice.

Does the car have navigation? If so, it was a built in maintenance reminder window where you can set a "flexible" oil change interval where the oil life will decrease based on actual driving conditions.

I'd only use the OEM Mazda filter. There's word going around that the Skyactiv engine has specific oil pressure needs and a generic one size fits all oil filter has random Bypass PSI ratings.

When buying the OEM filter, make sure it's not the MV model. It's the same part number as a regular one but has MV on the end which stands for Mazda Value. They are a cheaper alternative made in Mexico. Not sure why Mazda even makes them considering the price is only like $2 more for a regular one.

Thanks for all your participation!

The car has no navigation, and I’ll check where it was made; the car asks for 0w-20; I’m asking this question because I want to know should we proceed with any well known oil and filters, aka Mobil1 and FRAM or simply to stick with OEM parts, oil+filter;

Also I think of MM I think he/we will stick with 5k oil change interval just because oil is cheap and ease of keeping records

Last edited:
You guys are amusing me with the 5K OCI thing with 0-5-20 wt oils. Come now, this is 2017 not 1967.

Originally Posted By: tig1
You guys are amusing me with the 5K OCI thing with 0-5-20 wt oils. Come now, this is 2017 not 1967.

Yeah it's 2017 and direct injection engines are plentiful so 5-6K miles might not be a bad idea!

Originally Posted By: KL31

Yeah it's 2017 and direct injection engines are plentiful so 5-6K miles might not be a bad idea!

DI=tech in reverse. Too bad.

I think that is called progress!

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

I think that is called progress!

How so? I actually bought my last Ford Fusion with the 2.5 engine to avoid DI and the problems I see reported here.

Regardless of what year it is, here in America I do as I please with my dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back