96R Battery Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everywhere I look there is exactly one option in this size. 45aH and 590 CCA.

Optima does not make a drop in replacement.

Does anyone know of an upgrade in this group size? I have a batteryMINDer on the battery currently and hopefully it desulfates and regains capacity, but if it doesn't I'd like some options. Otherwise I'm going to get another Bosch as this one has given good service

Last edited:
to fit what car now? An upgrade would be out of that group size, more than likely.

Which aspect of battery performance do you need to upgrade? The Odyssey PC1200MJT is a group 96R that might be an upgrade, depending on your needs.

Reserve capacity. 590CCA is plenty to start the car. I have an aftermarket stereo with amps and want to not worry about killing my battery if I listen to the radio with the engine off

SilverFusion2010
Are you a Sam’s Club member? If so, they carry a 96R Duracell that is USA made by East Penn. Oreilly Auto Parts carries the same battery with their label. DEKA is another East Penn brand but, I don’t think we can get them this far south. Stay away from Walmart’s Everstart Max, it is made in Mexico by Johnson Controls. My last one only made it 16 months.

Last edited:
Funny you should post this, I just bought one today for my Lincoln. Same thing as you, was surprised they were all 590 CCA, I did find one at Napa that was 600 but 10 CCA was hardly worth the extra 22 bucks.

I generally pay a little extra to get the best battery I can, in this size I found few options.
frown.gif
Bought the Auto Craft GOLD at AAP, have had good luck with those.

I looked at the odyssey battery. Do they derate their batteries? The specs would indicate less reserve capacity and less CCA than the traditional flooded 96R

Found the super start at O'Rileys. 600CCA 90 reserve min. I'll probably go with that if I need one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The Odyssey PC1200MJT is a group 96R that might be an upgrade, depending on your needs.

I forget my Odyssey size number, but I have been very pleased with its performance and longevity.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Reserve capacity. 590CCA is plenty to start the car. I have an aftermarket stereo with amps and want to not worry about killing my battery if I listen to the radio with the engine off

You really should have a separate SLA/AGM battery for the amps, charged through a "Battery Isolator" (from an RV supply place)

There are only a couple of AGM batteries in 96R size I could find and pricing was around $400.

http://4xspower.com/bci_group/96r/

Instead I converted my wife's 2011 Mustang from 96R to Group 48 size battery.

During the Pep Boys Black Friday sale I picked up a Bosch size 48 AGM for $99 after 35% discount code and $30 rebate. It has 48 month full replacement warranty, 720 CCA, 120 reserve minutes, 70 AH. The battery tray is large enough to accomodate a size 48 but had spacers installed to accomodate the 96R instead. I did have to buy a seperate battery insulator for under $20 as the factory wrap for the 96R won't fit a Group 48.

Google around a bit on Group 48 battery for your year Fudion and I'll bet you get some good hits on what's required to convert your car to a Group 48 if you wish to.

Last edited:
SilverFusion2010
The Super Start from O’reilly’s is an East Penn battery, made in USA. This is a good choice over the Advance Auto, AutoZone or Walmart batteries, made by Johnson Controls in Mexico.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I looked at the odyssey battery. Do they derate their batteries? The specs would indicate less reserve capacity and less CCA than the traditional flooded 96R

Found the super start at O'Rileys. 600CCA 90 reserve min. I'll probably go with that if I need one.

Reserve capacity is calculated at 25 Amp load at 80 degree F. until battery voltage drops to 10.5 Volts. 90 minutes reserve would be 1.5 hours at 25 Amps which equals 37.5 Amperhours which is less that the 45 Amperhours of the battery you originally posted info on.

45 Amperhours is 108 min reserve, so if you want a battery with more than 45 Amperhours reserve look for something with more than 108 min reserve.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the Odyssey battery, but thought that its claim to be better as a rechargeable, deep discharge type battery might offset the lesser capacity.

FWIW the flooded 96R Duracell at Sam's Club shows 90 Reserve Minutes and 600 CCA, made by East Penn.

Sam's Club Duracell 96R Link

Also available at Batteries Plus at a higher price

Batteries Plus Duracell 96R Link

The Bosch 96R at Pep Boys shows 590 CCA, 95 minutes reserve capacity, and 55.1 AH

Pep Boys Bosch 96R Link

Is the 55.1 AH a misprint on Pep Boys site (where did you find the 45 AH spec in the original post in this thread from)?

Both the Duracell 96R and Bosch 96R are competitively priced. In Feb. 2017 Pep Boys & Bosch offered a $20 rebate on flooded batteries and $30 rebate on AGM batteries plus a 25% discount code. No idea if they'll do that again Feb 2018. For Black Friday 2017 it was $30 rebate for either flooded or AGM Bosch batteries coupled with a 35% discount code; the Bosch 96R was $53.84 after discount & rebate.

I think I have the Bosch s4 in 96R but now I'm not certain. 90 reserve min

Edit

Yeah I have that Bosch s5 in 96R. It's done the job.

Who makes Bosch anyway? Is it actually Bosch or is it one of the big 4?

Last edited:
Exide makes the batteries for Bosch. The AGM batteries can be had for a good deal. In fact a Rural King they are rather cheap like $119-129. With a 4 yr warranty. Pretty doggone good there.

My alternator/charging system regulates at 14.4v. Is that a problem for AGM?

I popped the vent cap to have a look at the plates and the sulfation is in fact a little less. Appears the batteryMINDer does what it claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back