Newbie wanting oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure everyone here is thinking “oh God, here we go again!!!” But I would like some experience exes recommendations on oils for my next oil change. First the obligatory information:

1. I drive a 2017 Subaru WRX about 13000 miles
2. The manual recommends 5w30 full synthetic API SN of GF-5 across all temp ranges
3. I live in Southern California (IE if you’re local)
4. Its a sports car and I’m not going to lie, I tend to push it. But I always take it easy until oil reaches 150, and I let it idle for a few minutes before shutting down when I’ve been pushing it to let oil cool in the turbo.
5. By daily drive is around 20 miles with about half on freeway and half mountain roads.
6. My car is new with no known issues.

So, until now, I’ve been running subaru brand oil. I’ve been hearing that that oils is actually pretty cheap and prone to sheer in the turbo cars. I also only recently saw that mountain driving is classified as extreme conditions recommending 3000 mile oil change interval. I would like an extremely sheer resistant oil that would also allow me to keep the original 6000 mile oil change interval. I don’t mind special ordering oil, in fact I tend to mistrust off the shelf oil on instinct, but I would also like to avoid spending a small fortune if possible. I don’t care about resource conservation stuff as long as losing it would improve oil performance. I’ve been looking at Red Line oil and amsoil and I’m currently leaning more towards redline, but I wanted other options and ideas as well. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Any major brand that meets spec for your Subaru will do fine. Look for the latest dexos 1 generation 2 oils. It will say gen2 approved under the dexos symbol.

Our cars have similar engines and you may or may not have heard that there was a recall a couple of years ago for a great many Subarus with 2.0l DI turbos due to LSPI problems.
The only major standard that includes testing for LSPI mitigation right now is dexos1 Gen 2, so my recommendation is to get a 5W30 with that license. They are pretty easy to find at Walmart these days.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Most WRX guys all agree on Shell T6 5W-40

Originally Posted By: Rand
That was mainly for the older EJ series engines.

These are the FB20 and FB25 engines.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Our cars have similar engines and you may or may not have heard that there was a recall a couple of years ago for a great many Subarus with 2.0l DI turbos due to LSPI problems.
The only major standard that includes testing for LSPI mitigation right now is dexos1 Gen 2, so my recommendation is to get a 5W30 with that license. They are pretty easy to find at Walmart these days.

+1

Currently the toughest Mobil1 oil is their "Annual Protection" dexos1 Gen2 oil in 5w30. The labels don't say "Gen2" on the front, but they are indeed Gen2, tracing the license number on back. Mobil tested them to 20k miles in 3 brands of turbo engines and it held up. Their latest tech science going into antioxidants and the total package. Doesn't really cost too much at Walmart in 5-quart jugs.
As for oil filter, normally a Fram Ultra is the best, but those Subaru boxer engines might need the specific bypass valve pressure setting from the Subaru-branded dealership oil filter.

Redline and RLI 5W40 . Check out the audi forums. RLI is the answer for LSPI. RLI makes a low sulfur 5W30 if that suits your needs. Don't forget your warranty.

Good hunting!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

If you beat on it, I'd go Redline and run it for the full factory oil change interval. Keep your receipts for warranty.

If you don't beat on it, I'd check with Subaru and see about 0W-30 ... The 0W's seem to be a big more rugged nowdays...

If just a grocery getter (which this is not), I'd run a Dexos oil in any brand.

So according to your description, this looks like a candidate for RL. Plenty of So-Cal street guys are in the same boat. RL is pretty popular with them
smile.gif

I owned an 07' WRX I bought new and sold with 136K on it with no engine, turbo or oil consumption issues and sold it with 136K on it.
I wouldn't use Redline as it doesn't meet Dexos 1 gen 2 as I write this. I don't like the marketing Amsoil uses making some people
think they are the best oil since the wheel was invented.

I do like Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. Why? Because you can buy a 5 qt jug of it at Wal-Mart cheap and it has Dexos 1 gen 2 approval, which is what you want being that your engine is direct injected and the oil has the rare and I mean rare, ACEA A5/B5 spec.

The Redline oil would be great if you had an older WRX which doesn't have direct injection, but you do and your running California's 91 octane gas.

Dexos 1 gen2 oil addresses LSPI. Don't confuse it with plain old Dexos 1.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I wouldn't use Redline as it doesn't meet Dexos 1 gen 2 as I write this.

Redline's high moly and high POE is credited with quenching LSPI. Also relatively high ZDDP in Redline helps. Could be all that conquers the LSPI-prone Ca ?
Understood it isn't proven unless it is tested. Redline would likely be OK, yet why not go with the best & latest Mobil1 Annual Protection tech here?

welcome2.gif

Any top-tier synthetic 5w30 will serve you well, such as M1, Castrol Edge, or PP/PUP

Shell just released a synthetic HDEO called Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w30, and it is making its way to store shelves now. Although it is primarily intended for trucks, it does meet API SN standards and is acceptable to use in cars calling for SN 5w30 such as your Subaru.

There is also Chevron's Delo 400 LE 5w30 on Amazon.

For the filter, use either Subaru OEM or Wix/Napa Gold. Even though Fram makes Subaru OEM oil filters, their aftermarket Fram-branded filters do not have the high OE-spec bypass of the OEM filter. Wix does make an aftermarket filter with the OE-spec bypass

Amsoil OE and XL 5w30 surpass Dexos 1 Gen 2 requirements and have A5/B5 certs. They are also API licensed with HTHS of 3.3

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madeej11
Amsoil OE and XL 5w30 surpass Dexos 1 Gen 2 requirements and have A5/B5 certs. They are also API licensed with HTHS of 3.3

Oh, by how much?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: madeej11

Oh, by how much?

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 ($22.97) is d1G2 and also carries A5/B5 certification as does Valvoline Synthetic ($21.97) according to Valvoline's website. Can you share the link showing where/how Amsoil OE "surpasses" d1G2?

I don't need to link it, you [censored] well know where to find it. Subie guys seem to like their oil a little more substantial, that's what those two Amsoil products give them. KV@100 11,HTHS 3.3 Seems like getting hths from Pennzoil is like pulling teeth. Anything else Hater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back