City Chicken, ultimate comfort food

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_chicken

Love this stuff, made a batch last weekend, with mashed potatoes and green beans as sides. I don't bother with skewers, just cube a pork loin, bread and brown the meat cubes, then cook low and slow in chicken gravy for 3-4 hours to tenderize.

Cheap, filling, better the next day as leftovers.

My mother says they used to use alternating cubes of pork and veal when she was a kid in the 40s, on skewers, with the cubes sized so it resembled a chicken leg.

Last edited:
I prefer City Sushi

(try saying that quickly ten times).

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I prefer City Sushi

(try saying that quickly ten times).

grin.gif

Well I'd try to type it ten times quickly but the censorship on the forum would get me!

Gross! Almost as bad as the ham bbq sandwich and chipped ham...other delicacies from the region.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Gross! Almost as bad as the ham bbq sandwich and chipped ham...other delicacies from the region.

I grew up on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. You would love the scrapple I would have with fried eggs and beat biscuits for breakfast.

My son got me to watch that episone of South Park. In Nampa Idaho there is a City Buffet, I most likely will never go there.

. You forgot to mention the Cincy chili..

I don't know that I'd call this the ultimate comfort food, although it sounds pretty good.
Those who wouldn't care to try it typically identify as vegans.
There is also nothing wrong with Cincinnati chili, although it might be more accurately called Greek chili, since that was the ethnic origin of the initiators as well as most of their early emulators.
A thee-way is comfort food and only a food snob or vegan would disdain the occasional indulgence in it.
The Midwest has always been known for winter comfort food meals and people like them because they are tasty and seem so well suited to the cold weather we see for five or six months each year.
We had a pot roast for dinner. Chuck roast on the range in a thick covered pan simmered in beef broth with carrots, little potatoes and brussel sprouts added to the pan after the chuck had cooked for a time.
A nice winter meal which we accompanied with a nice red blend from Chili.
Comfort food for a cold winter night.
We saw enormous snowflakes this morning and drove into white-out conditions briefly, although that ended before we had any real accumulation on anything but the cars.

My Mom and Dad were Ohio born. My Mom used to make City Chicken with the veal/pork combo. Great stuff! Done right City Chicken is fantastic and is no more unhealthy than other interesting, fried/baked dishes. She fried and browned the skewered pieces first, then baked them to greatness.

Scott

Originally Posted By: Bud

I grew up on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. You would love the scrapple I would have with fried eggs and beat biscuits for breakfast.

Scrapple is delicious if done right.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
. You forgot to mention the Cincy chili..

Which is absolutely wonderful. I can't help but stop at any skyline I see forva five way, and we make Cincinnati style about 3:1 vs other styles of chili in our home.

Been 20 years since I’ve had city chicken in Erie. One of my best memories of that area.

Dishdude shouldn’t gripe, I believe AZ lays claim to the chimichanga as it’s state food.. like a burrito isn’t enough, so you deep fry it...

Last edited:
Chili is the official State food of Texas, but BBQ especially beef brisket & sausage I think have well overtaken chili here in the last couple of decades (pork has made significant inroads to BBQ here these days too). Hard to find an honest bowl of red anymore here in the town that used to have The Chili Queens!

I've tried Cincinnati Chili both at Skyline & homemade at the house of a couple that grew up & went to college in Cincy. I personally didn't care for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: typ901

Dishdude shouldn’t gripe, I believe AZ lays claim to the chimichanga as it’s state food.. like a burrito isn’t enough, so you deep fry it...

Actually a few years ago a local chain Mexican restaurant, Macayo's, started a petition/publicity stunt to make chimis the state food. They lay claim to inventing it but that's disputed between Tucson and Phoenix origins. You follow up a chimi with fried ice cream...

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Actually a few years ago a local chain Mexican restaurant, Macayo's, started a petition/publicity stunt to make chimis the state food. They lay claim to inventing it but that's disputed between Tucson and Phoenix origins. You follow up a chimi with fried ice cream...

Yeah I just don’t get the need to deep fry a perfectly good burrito...just me.

Been 20 years since I’ve had city chicken in Erie. One of my best memories of that area.

Not eating that either.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back