stupid tire sizing question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm looking at tirerack for some tires for my wife's '05 Hydunai sonata gls. My question is very simple: do I get new tires which match what the tirerack computer says I need (205/55R16) or one's that match what is on the vehicle now (215/60R16)? I think I go with the size which is on there now (??).

Thanks!

Did you put the 215 width tires on there? I'd go by the door sticker, some places won't mount the tire unless it matches exactly what is on the place card. Also if the tire is too wide (granted 10mm shouldn't matter) the wheel won't distribute the weight correctly anyways.

I'd go by the door, the used that size for a reason.

Last edited:
there are no stupid questions....
I once used a tire-sizing computer guide on the internet that worked well for me when looking at wheel offset, and getting a tire size that would clear my fenders & allow for a good fit when going to a new size tire than original. Lets see if I can find the link again.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Did you put the 215 width tires on there? I'd go by the door sticker, some places won't mount the tire unless it matches exactly what is on the place card. Also if the tire is too wide (granted 10mm shouldn't matter) the wheel won't distribute the weight correctly anyways.

I'd go by the door, the used that size for a reason.

Thanks, Polaris. The doorcard has 215 on it. I didn't even think to look. I need to start drinking coffee...

Yep. Just go by the door sticker unless you’ve got a good reason not to. I buy narrower snow tires, but I don’t imagine that’s a consideration in beautiful SD.

I wish there was a way to "test drive" tires.

Going from tall & skinny 70R15's on my 2001 Windstar to wider (same height) 60R16's made a HUGE benefit to ride quality and handling!

I only like tall & skinny on 4WD trucks now.

Originally Posted By: joaks
Hey guys, I'm looking at tirerack for some tires for my wife's '05 Hydunai sonata gls. My question is very simple: do I get new tires which match what the tirerack computer says I need (205/55R16) or one's that match what is on the vehicle now (215/60R16)? I think I go with the size which is on there now (??).

Thanks!

That's a pretty standard up-size for better ride quality. Do they rub any? If they work and drive well, stay with the bigger tire. Most shops will put on what is on the car w/o hassle, as long as it does not show rub marks ...

Not a stupid question at all. Don't worry
smile.gif

I checked this site, and they seem to indicate that the correct size is 205/60-16. I also checked TR, and they also say 205/60-16
crazy2.gif

For the intended driving conditions, the best choice for you would be grand touring summer tires like the Goodyear EfficientGrip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back