Men at work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Lots of talk about how nobody knows how to work these days. Short version: wife got a promotion in another office 50 miles away. She's commuting right now but we're moving there. The real estate market is strange there, we found we can have a house built for the cost of an existing 10-15 yr old house so why not? After 4 fixer-upper houses in our married life it's hard to believe. On Tuesday of this week there was a bare slab with plumbing pipe sticking up. She went over at lunch Tuesday and saw the first wall section stand up. Yesterday we went to check it out and they're putting sheeting on the roof. 6 man crew and these guys know how to work. 1,587 sq ft with a 25x26 garage. 2x6 walls & 10 foot ceilings.

Tuesday at noon:

Friday at noon:

I wouldn't worry. Meeting today's building codes vs decades ago... I'd definitely go for new and quick.

Congrats AZjeff. I imagine its a bit cheaper than around here
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What about the quality of this fast construction.... ?

Just knew this would be the first question. This development/builder is selling 5 homes a week based on a record of quality and value in the local market. My daughter built here 2 years ago and other than a couple of cosmetic things all good. Not worried a bit. The entire foundation/slab is a one-piece pour using post-tension construction. Somewhere around 60 yards of concrete.

surfstar - daughter moved here from ALiso Viejo., she bought brand new on a big lot for less than half of a small fixer on a postage stamp there.

Here it is but different color.

Last edited:
Those guys know the house specs by heart, having built many of the same. Roof trusses delivered and up in less than half a day. All pneumatic tools. It’s nice to get it closed up before any weather hits. It will slow down somewhat on the inside and waiting for inspections.

Yep, those mountains in the background are very scenic.

So nice to have all new I'd imagine. I've never experienced it. Only old rickedy khrap I try to keep from coming unglued. Congrats to you!

Originally Posted By: JTK
So nice to have all new I'd imagine. I've never experienced it. Only old rickedy khrap I try to keep from coming unglued.

Yeah, the story of my home owning experience too. Never thought we'd be doing this but our situation changed and here we are. We currently live on the other side of those mountains. 35 miles straight line, 55 mile drive.

AZJeff:

Exciting!

About 17 years ago my family and I moved from Los Gatos, CA to Colorado Springs, CO. We bought a brand new, custom house near the Broadmoor Hotel. It was 4,000 sq/ft with a four car garage, and was the smallest house in the entire neighborhood! We had many great neighbors who became close friends - truly great people. But my Cali heritage mandated a move back to California. I found the high mountain winters absolutely brutal. Because of the high mountain cold, for about 8 months of the year my free spirited Cali born wife had not just her headlights on, her high beams were on! I couldn't take her anywhere without her being stared at. That still makes me LOL.
grin.gif

But we did very much enjoy that brand new house - and those great neighbors!

It will be an exciting time for you. Best wishes on your new adventure!

Scott

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
2 x 6 walls = nice. Congrats.

Never accept less.

Also, personally inspect the insulation job. I seldom see one done right.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What about the quality of this fast construction.... ?
Houses built now days are all cookie cutter. These guys plow through them fast no problem.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Be sure to have the whole house sprayed indoors/outdoors/attic/garage before moving in.

Yes, make sure you have an oncologist on speed dial while you're at it too.

The industry just loves to peddle worthless garbage to add more trades to the bill. Right now it's all about living in a cheap foam cooler duct taped shut. Because you know, you might save three pennies a day on your energy bill!

Nobodys every studied what percentage of foam jobs get properly mixed. Nobody's studied their long terms effect and what living in highly sealed housing does to ones health. We do know that indoor air quality is going downhill. And that none of this is going to age well thirty years down the road. Good luck with the resale. Asbestos was once the bees knees...

If you're a believer though, I know nobody's going to be convinced otherwise.

Rough framing often moves fast with a good crew.

In my area I've seen many two story 3000+ sq. ft. houses go up in about a week and sometimes in nasty cold weather as well.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I wouldn't worry. Meeting today's building codes vs decades ago... I'd definitely go for new and quick.

Yeah, especially the pre-WW II stuff. Building codes, what building codes?

Even for years after, those tiny bedroom windows that would never be allowed today, barely big enough for a small child to escape in a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back