Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring - opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
they're not the greatest, and there are better tires for the money, even at that price point. The Kelly Edge and even the Douglas All-Season are better than Uniroyal.

Uniroyal is garbage.

What tire size do you need?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
they're not the greatest, and there are better tires for the money, even at that price point. The Kelly Edge and even the Douglas All-Season are better than Uniroyal.

Uniroyal is garbage.

What tire size do you need?
smile.gif

205/60/16 v rated. I asked, as Mills Fleet Farm has a 'buy 3, get 1 free' sale. I actually was leaning towards the Douglas tires, may still do that. Walmart has them at a good price.

BTW, ridiculous that a 2007 Accord I4 needs V rated tires...

Last edited:
"...BTW, ridiculous that a 2007 Accord I4 needs V rated tires..." I'm with you there.

1) Did it come with V rated tires?
2) Is it possible (and of course it is) the tire shop books list V rated tires as an upsell gimmick?
3) However, are V rated tires made better than their H or S/T siblings? Might V's be a better buy?

Originally Posted By: Kira
"...BTW, ridiculous that a 2007 Accord I4 needs V rated tires..." I'm with you there.

1) Did it come with V rated tires?
2) Is it possible (and of course it is) the tire shop books list V rated tires as an upsell gimmick?
3) However, are V rated tires made better than their H or S/T siblings? Might V's be a better buy?

Yeah, door sill on LX w/ SE trim lists V..

Oh well.

Many Honda cars do come with V speed rated tires. I always made sure to install V speed tires. One guy at a tire store tried to talk me down to a lower rating, I refused. You see, my wife drives the entire state of Florida to the tune of 35K to 45K miles a year, sometimes on Alligator alley doing 95-100 mph at night with no one around. The car is more stable with V rated tires at speed.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Looking for some feedback on these tires.

My van came with a brand new set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw touring tires when I bought it gently used from a dealer. I initially was dismayed, and annoyed that they put such a tire on the van. I was wrong. They were stable, long lasting, excellent tires, with good traction in wet and dry weather. They were no different than the Michelin or Bridgestone touring tires I have always bought and ran.

Basically, they are good, affordable tires for a sedan or mini-van. They are absolutely not junk as another poster stated. I didn't purchase these tires (they came installed already) so I have no need to defend my purchasing decision. I can only advise that in MY real world use, they were excellent tires.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: mjk
Looking for some feedback on these tires.

My van came with a brand new set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw touring tires when I bought it gently used from a dealer. I initially was dismayed, and annoyed that they put such a tire on the van. I was wrong. They were stable, long lasting, excellent tires, with good traction in wet and dry weather. They were no different than the Michelin or Bridgestone touring tires I have always bought and ran.

Basically, they are good, affordable tires for a sedan or mini-van. They are absolutely not junk as another poster stated. I didn't purchase these tires (they came installed already) so I have no need to defend my purchasing decision. I can only advise that in MY real world use, they were excellent tires.
^ I had the same experience when I bought my used Chevy Avalanche. Smooth riding, even wear, and they lasted quite a long time. I was planning on buying another set 0f Uniroyals but got Coopers on sale instead.

They wear good. I had one go out of round. If it's a choice between them and some store brand for the same $$ I'd get them-- you can find replacements anywhere.

I wouldn't recommend them. Everybody talked trash about the Firestone FR710's that my Cruze came with from the factory, but the car handled very well with them, they lasted exactly 50K (had just broken on to the wear bars at that point), and the gas mileage was always exceptional. I replaced them with a set of Tiger Paw tourings (same price as FR710's but a sport-touring tire with higher speed rating) and lost 2.5 MPG across the board. They grip alright (though a little less responsive in the curves), road noise was slightly more than the Firestones, and at 58,000 mi. currently, they'll be hard pressed to have anything left at the 70K I believe they're rated for.

If I'd had the money I'd have replaced them with another set of FR710's before I had 10K on them. Not the worst, but consider other options.

Last edited:
After reading this thread, here is my conclusion:

UTP is not good for sedans (cruz, aveo, accord?).
UTP is good for Minivan and Pick Up Truck.

I bought one for my full size spare for a Sienna.
I put it on and tried it for a week and it was fine.

Last edited:
V rated on that? Well I got my morning laugh.

The Caprice has an H speed tire good to 130.

The Caprice is speed limited at 155mph the Trans Am will go every bit of 160 and has W speed rated tire.

You do not need a V rating on that car.

I just put a set of Cooper Zeon RS3-As all season W rated 275/40 17's on the WS6 for 660 out the door.
I really like them.

So far one of the nicest tires I have had on the WS6.

Tire

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

The Douglas tires are a good value tire and I'd choose that over the TP.

Another + for Douglas, just got 2 and they are very quiet, which I value more than treadwear. Also very good price.

We had them on a 04 Impala. They were never good in snow, meh at best in rain. They wore fast, I wouldn’t buy them again.

Had two sets on my daughters car.. I got the ones that had the 70,000 mile tread warranty. Good tires. May get 60k or so out of them but depends upon how you drive. The Douglass and Kelly tires are a way cheaper made tire with less tread life. I would go with the tiger paws again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back