Delvac 1 ESP 5/40 or Rotella T3 15/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a couple '07 Hondas, Rincon and Rubicon since new..good working order about 6k mi. on ea. we use them year round in reasonable cold +0F to warm 100F. I've been buying the Rotella T3 15/40 but would switch to the Delvac 1 ESP if beneficial now that the price is similar.

any opinions?

Why not compare the ESP to the Rotella T6 5w-40? 0*F would give the 5W-40 oils the edge though the shearing could more.

I think sheer is the issue why Honda recs 600 mi. OCI's ... I like to OCI once a year which could double that.

I never understood why such frequent ATV OCI's when Honda shared sump street bikes can do 5k.

Let's see.
I can buy a top-tier synthetic HDEO for the same money as a name brand Grp II product.
What should I do?
When you write of cost, I'm assuming that you mean AMIR and there is a more modest rebate on Rotella ATM as well.
The difference is that you'll get your Mobil rebate with no issues and that may or may not happen with any SOPUS rebate.
I've done enough of both to make this assertion with confidence.

In my area Delvac is about $37 a gallon versus $21 for T6. I am not sure in your application that Delvac would make any difference over T6. But then again, realistically, if you are changing it fairly frequently, the Rotella T you are using is quite good too.

I thought we pretty much figured out the Rotella 15/40 does better than the Rotella 5/40 in shared sumps the question I have is can RT 15/40 beat the flagship Delvac 1 ESP 5/40 in that application?

actually the Delvac 1 ESP is $11.00 a gallon A/R and sales tax here, bout the same as RT3 15/40 on sale...if I can improve protection I'll switch.

these ATV's are sensitive buggers to motor oil with their automatic transmissions in the mix.

IMO your lowest start temperature dictates the 5w rather than the 15w; or am I off base here with the shared sump?

Last edited:
we start and run them not often in 0F but will occasionally so I can see the 5W benefit, but not if it shreds out in 500.

Does anyone understand why a shared sump ATV OCI rec is 600mi. and a street bike with a shared sump is 5000mi.

I thought it may be the low gearing, our universal avg. mph is about 15mph over tens of thousands of miles.

The ATV's are trail machines seeing a variety of swamp and forest you would expect here near L.Michigan & L.Superior. My Rincon 680 1cyl fuel injected just turned 500 hrs. at 6,700 miles that's 13.4 mph.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I thought we pretty much figured out the Rotella 15/40 does better than the Rotella 5/40 in shared sumps the question I have is can RT 15/40 beat the flagship Delvac 1 ESP 5/40 in that application? actually the Delvac 1 ESP is $11.00 a gallon A/R and sales tax here, bout the same as RT3 15/40 on sale...if I can improve protection I'll switch. these ATV's are sensitive buggers to motor oil with their automatic transmissions in the mix.
My Brute Force 750 is an oil shredder and T6 has held up better than T3. I have not tried Delvac in it, but Rotella meets JASO-MA requirements for wet clutches (though my BF is not a wet clutch and not sure if this is an issue for you) and it does not shear as much.

Where are you finding Delval 1 ESP 5W-40 for $11.00 a gallon? That is cheaper than any conventional HDEO for miles around.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Does anyone understand why a shared sump ATV OCI rec is 600mi. and a street bike with a shared sump is 5000mi.

I thought it may be the low gearing, our universal avg. mph is about 15mph over tens of thousands of miles.

So with that Honda reccomends a 4 qt. OCI every 44 hours, what is going on here?

Rotella makes a T5 in 15w40 now that is semi synthetic and should flow a little better in the cold due to the synthetic blend but not shear as much as the 5w. I had a Suzuki scooter that I ran on 15w40 rotella and 10w royal purple motorcycle oil and it was fine. I tried the T6 and consumption went way up. Scooters have auto transmissions also. It didn't like the 5w variety of diesel oil.

That’s a good deal on the D1 … Walmart.com moved it from $23 to $29 a gallon …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back