15w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
My lawn mower calls for strait 30wt oil or 10w30 if operating in cooler weather. It also says in the manual in hot weather the 10w30 could cause consumption. I have been running 10w30 rotella in it and it seems to be using a little oil but I also use it late in the year to mulch leaves so I don't want to use strait 30 wt. Would delo 15w30 be a good compromise? Any body use it?

I’ve been using Rotella 15w40, summer and fall in all my OPE for years with no consumption. YMMV

Last edited:
If you can find it, that oil would be perfect for that engine.
Delo SD 15W-30 is more or less a straight SAE 30. Its cold flow properties come from being a synthetic blend, rather than using viscosity index improvers, similar to Redline's Racing 30WT- which doubles as a 10W-30 due to its use of synthetic base oils.

Consumption depends on the engine. They are all different regardless of brand, model etc.

15w30 would work, but the consumption rate is to be determined.

I use straight 30 and do a lot of fall mulching in N. Ohio throughout November. I never experienced any problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mooferz
Delo SD 15W-30 is more or less a straight SAE 30. Its cold flow properties come from being a synthetic blend, rather than using viscosity index improvers, similar to Redline's Racing 30WT- which doubles as a 10W-30 due to its use of synthetic base oils.

Thanks I was wondering what the deal was with the 15w part. I haven't been able to find much info on it. I was also looking for a stout 30 wt oil for a chevy LS engine that will take a beating as its gonna see some drag strip use on track day. Two birda one stone.

Originally Posted By: Sealbilly

Thanks I was wondering what the deal was with the 15w part. I haven't been able to find much info on it. I was also looking for a stout 30 wt oil for a chevy LS engine that will take a beating as its gonna see some drag strip use on track day. Two birda one stone.

Use a robust oil such as Castrol 0W40. Thin for startup protection that a lot of old cars and trailer queens see often and thicker than a 30W.
The NOACK on Castrol 0W40 is under 10, it's a rare and real PAO synthetic from Europe and is proven on VW's, Audi's.... that put out a lot more HP per cubic inch than a SBC does.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: Sealbilly

Use a robust oil such as Castrol 0W40. Thin for startup protection that a lot of old cars and trailer queens see often and thicker than a 30W.
The NOACK on Castrol 0W40 is under 10, it's a rare and real PAO synthetic from Europe and is proven on VW's, Audi's.... that put out a lot more HP per cubic inch than a SBC does.

The Castrol 0W40 NOACK not all that impressive if wanting a low number Amsoil ASE 10W30 comes in at a 4.0 and this oil would be my first pick.

+1

10w30 is a good choice … put 15w40 Delvac in mine yesterday … but mainly because other oil in my stash was dedicated to upcoming OCI times …

Originally Posted By: dave123

The Castrol 0W40 NOACK not all that impressive if wanting a low number Amsoil ASE 10W30 comes in at a 4.0 and this oil would be my first pick.

True, but Amsoil is a real PITA because you have to order it. This is fine if you have one lawn mower that you change the oil in once or twice a year, but for most people Amsoil is not really convenient and is simply a boutique oil.

Rotella T5, T6, and Castrol 0w40 are available pretty much everywhere and is an excellent oil for Outdoor Power Equipment. WalMart, AutoZone, Tractor Supply, even some Home Depots carry it, so it is extremely easy to find and also cost effective where Amsoil is not. I'm not knocking Amsoil, it is a quality product, but until it is readily available and doesn't need to be special ordered I will consider it a boutique oil.

I have a commercial Honda push mower that about 15 years old. I use leftover 0w-30 Red Line and change it every year. I just turn the oil bottles upside down and let them drain for a week or so after an oil change on my 3 daily drivers. I've never noticed any oil consumption and that's something I would discover because I check the lever before every use.

For maintenance, I change the paper air filter as needed and clean the foam prefilter and oil it with Red Line 2-stroke oil. I've added a fuel filter and I think I've changed the spark plug a couple of times over 15 years. I add a fuel treatment with PEA to the gasoline and keep the blades sharp, the mower and engine clean and the two cables greased. I have no idea when the engine is supposed to wear out but I'll keep running it until it won't run anymore.

Are you just putting the 15w30 in for leaf mulching season? Or year-round? How many hours do you pile on this thing?

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

True, but Amsoil is a real PITA because you have to order it. This is fine if you have one lawn mower that you change the oil in once or twice a year, but for most people Amsoil is not really convenient and is simply a boutique oil.

Rotella T5, T6, and Castrol 0w40 are available pretty much everywhere and is an excellent oil for Outdoor Power Equipment. WalMart, AutoZone, Tractor Supply, even some Home Depots carry it, so it is extremely easy to find and also cost effective where Amsoil is not. I'm not knocking Amsoil, it is a quality product, but until it is readily available and doesn't need to be special ordered I will consider it a boutique oil.
Seriously a PITA come on now really no different than ordering on Amazon couple clicks and it's on my F'n door step how much easier do you want!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Are you just putting the 15w30 in for leaf mulching season? Or year-round? How many hours do you pile on this thing?

Gonna use year round. I don't know the hours, no hour gauge.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Seriously a PITA come on now really no different than ordering on Amazon couple clicks and it's on my F'n door step how much easier do you want!

That is easy but not so convenient when your pillhead neighbor steals it while your at work off your front porch. There is always a reason to not buy online. I can't, everyone on the God forsaken road is a meth head.

When you maintain as many pieces of equipment for people that I do it is much easier and cost effective to use something that is readily available.

This 15W30 is NOT a synthetic blend, unlike the Amsoil product. It is strictly mineral based. It performs great in high temperature applications, like a straight 30 wt oil would. I gave it high marks in an air cooled generator use and air cooled Kawasaki powered, lawn tractor, this past summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back