Leaving the pistol in the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a pretty new Conceal carry. I drive to work and work in a typical office building that are posted.

I'm not going to argue with that or try to find loopholes. So what that being said I only carry on the weekends or my days off. I was thinking, I could leave one of my other pistols in the glovebox for that "just in case" or is that just silly.

Another thing would be how? As someone with a license, it does not to be locked in the glovebox. Just out of plain sight. I dont use my glovebox at all, other then as a napkin holder. I was thinking of leaving it in the door with a towel over it.

Maybe one day i'll work for a company that is gun friendly.

Some of what you wrote is a bit confusing, but I understand that you want to bring your pistol to work, but leave it in the car.

As long as you don’t have any state or local laws against it, you should be okay doing so. I wouldn’t leave it unsecured though; that’s potential liability that I wouldn’t want. Even flimsy glove compartment locks aren’t enough for my tastes, not in an urban area.

I’d recommended a locking steel box that’s bolted to the car and out of plain view. You can purchase locking containers that fit in the center console and under seats. At least then the “smash and grab” type of thrives won’t be able to get their hands on it.

Its legal in my state provided the car is locked and its out of view.
My redneck quick method is I ziptied a open carry type holster with a thumb release under the driver seat. I can reach under the seat and release it easily to draw it.
This also keeps my passengers from becoming in violation of CC laws unintentionally by having it where they can reach it, like in a glove box.
I dont bother with locking the glove box because if they broke into the car, breaking the glove box open is nothing; its completely worthless.
Best security would obviously be to have it in a locked compartment of some sort. But for me it usually just rides there to work and back in a rural area. But I do occasionally use it if Im carrying and happen across some place where it would be better not on my person.

Does your job have a 30.06 sign? If it's not the official 30.06 sign,their policy can't hold water. If they do in fact have the official 30.06 sign,that just means you can't enter the building with it. Keep it in your car completely hidden and secured.

Good way to get shot on a MV stop if you are are ever pulled over by a cop is to keep a gun in your glove box when getting your reg. and insurance ID.

30.06 sign, what is that? That sounds like a state statue specific to Texas. Every state has different variations in the CCW laws.

Ohio recently passed a law allowing CCW holders to have their gun in a locked glove box in their personal vehicle while parked on the employers property, regardless of what anti gun signs the employer may have posted.

I realize a glove box isn't much of a secure place to lock things up in a car, but I want my car to have one. The cars in my signature do.
A 2018 Subaru Impreza I recetley test drove had one but a 2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport did not.

30.06 is a Texas state law, correct. It’s the paragraph number of the statute.

Last edited:
I would not get into the habit of leaving a weapon unattended in a parked car for hours on end on a daily basis. There is too much that can go wrong. I worked at a place for over 8 years, and we had several employee cars on our lot broken into in that time. We also had a, "No Firearms On The Property" rule in the company. Which I violated every day I worked there for over 8-1/2 years. I kept my weapon in the top part of my lunch box, and never told anyone. It was a cooler similar to this one in the photo. I kept the weapon in the top zippered part. I was rarely, if ever more than 3 steps away from it.

I'm not much good on obeying rules that could get my weapon stolen, or worse get me killed. I'm not saying or suggesting you should do the same. If I had been caught, I most likely would have been terminated. I took that risk as opposed to leaving my weapon at home, or in my car. Where it would be totally useless to me, or be in danger of being stolen. My decision worked out well for me. I retired from that company 3 years ago under excellent circumstances.

I've found out through the years, that most laws concerning firearms are ill conceived and do not help anyone, except for the criminal element who has no intention of obeying them in the first place. Again, I'm not saying I violate every gun law that comes down the pike. I don't. But for the most part when I walk into an establishment that has that silly sign showing a pistol with a red line through it, I simply ignore it. As always YMMV.

Originally Posted By: Toros
Good way to get shot on a MV stop if you are are ever pulled over by a cop is to keep a gun in your glove box when getting your reg. and insurance ID.

Declare a firearm is in the glove box before opening it, then ask the officer how they wish to proceed.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: Toros

Declare a firearm is in the glove box before opening it, then ask the officer how they wish to proceed.

He's an ex cop. And yet you are the one to give the intelligent response.

I remember long ago (45 years) heading out to the dove fields after school and getting stopped. I hopped out of the car in camo and walked back to the HiPo, told him we had guns in the car that were unloaded and asked him what he wanted to do. He chewed on me a bit and then asked me to drive the speed limit and be careful.

Now that would get you shot.

How times have changed.

Rod

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
I remember long ago (45 years) heading out to the dove fields after school and getting stopped. I hopped out of the car in camo and walked back to the HiPo, told him we had guns in the car that were unloaded and asked him what he wanted to do. He chewed on me a bit and then asked me to drive the speed limit and be careful.

Now that would get you shot.

How times have changed.

Rod

'Round here, during deer season kids could bring their rifles/shotguns to school and stow them in their locker. As soon as the bell rang for the day, everyone grabbed their gear and headed out to the fields.

Yup, times have changed.

My brother graduated high school in 1988. He had a Chevy Silverado with a gun rack in the back window. He parked it at school every day with a 20 gauge shotgun in it! Yep, things definitely have changed.

It was common for me to keep both a Remington 870 and Marlin 30-30 in the rifle rack of my Dodge PowerWagon ~ driving and parking at work locations …

Any clown could have broken into that pick-up and stolen the 20 ga. anywhere, anytime in history.

A pal had 2 adjacent blanks in his dashboard. He kept a gun in the dash.
At least there no one who broke into the car would know to look behind where the oil pressure gauge and boost pressure gauge would be.

"Locked up" in a glove compartment is an oxymoron.

From a criminology standpoint, a locked glovebox is an additional step showing you took additional precautions in securing the gun. Lock the car, lock the box.

"Security through obscurity" is your next best bet... don't brag, don't show anyone, and noone will know. Don't be known as a "gun nut" through desktop wallpaper, bumper stickers, calendars, etc.

If you get busted by your work (unlikely) just say you respect the no-guns-in-the-building rule and you were confused about their parking lot policy and you're sorry and it won't happen again. They could still can you if their insurance has a no-tolerance policy, but your approach, if you're going to do it, should be to be so stealthy they never catch on. The guy who might break into your car is likely to be a (ex)co-worker anyway.

Imagine being cross examined about your "hokey" under-seat storage you DIY'd when the carmaker installed a perfectly good locking box in your car all ready for you to use.

I had my CCW in Missouri but haven't renewed it since my move to KY.

For several years I've kept my small revolver in the glove box of whichever car I'm in most frequently over a given period. In KY it isn't considered "concealed" in a factory compartment of a vehicle so AFAIK I'm abiding by the law and, without shuffling it between cars, trying to keep it on my person all the time, etc., that's the best chance of having one within a quick sprint if anything goes down. Spending 98% of my time in small towns or rural areas I'm not as concerned about being robbed or threatened in a one-on-one situation as I am being witness to an event similar to the massacres that are making headlines every few months lately, and having no chance of neutralizing the party responsible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
From a criminology standpoint, a locked glovebox is an additional step showing you took additional precautions in securing the gun. Lock the car, lock the box.

"Security through obscurity" is your next best bet... don't brag, don't show anyone, and noone will know. Don't be known as a "gun nut" through desktop wallpaper, bumper stickers, calendars, etc.

If you get busted by your work (unlikely) just say you respect the no-guns-in-the-building rule and you were confused about their parking lot policy and you're sorry and it won't happen again. They could still can you if their insurance has a no-tolerance policy, but your approach, if you're going to do it, should be to be so stealthy they never catch on. The guy who might break into your car is likely to be a (ex)co-worker anyway.

Imagine being cross examined about your "hokey" under-seat storage you DIY'd when the carmaker installed a perfectly good locking box in your car all ready for you to use.

I believe liability is the word you’re looking for.

Firearms that are stored in police vehicles are either in locking weapon racks or locking steel boxes. These are purpose-built containers that are far more secure than the plastic latch on your glovebox. There’s nothing DIY or hokey about using a purpose-built locker that’s bolted to the floor of a vehicle.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
I'm a pretty new Conceal carry. I drive to work and work in a typical office building that are posted.

I'm not going to argue with that or try to find loopholes. So what that being said I only carry on the weekends or my days off. I was thinking, I could leave one of my other pistols in the glovebox for that "just in case" or is that just silly.

Another thing would be how? As someone with a license, it does not to be locked in the glovebox. Just out of plain sight. I dont use my glovebox at all, other then as a napkin holder. I was thinking of leaving it in the door with a towel over it.

Maybe one day i'll work for a company that is gun friendly.

Some companies have "no gun" rules that also apply to anywhere on company property, including inside your car parked in a company owned parking lot. Might want to check their rules closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back