Do we trust Purolator again now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, long time no see. I haven't been on here in quite a long time, but last time I was here was when the Puro tearing fiasco was in full effect. Are they better now, or do they still have the same issue? I thought of this recently when I noticed their snazzy new packaging on the shelf.
cool.gif

I trust the remaining PSL24651 oil filters in my stash enough to run them.

I trust the 3 PureOne blue oiled media air filters in my stash enough to run them.

I trust the one Purolator Classic air filter in my stash enough to run.

I have several Mopar MO-899 oil filters in my stash I trust to run.

Beyond that, I do not trust Purolator oil filters. The new Purolator One air filters look OK to me.

The only ones to consider running would be the Purolator Boss filters. These seem to be using a similar construction has BMW oil filters with their supportive mesh they are utilizing. One problem the Boss filters have seen is the ADBV with cuts in them. Not what one should see from a premium level filter. Though there haven't been any established problems from this issue. The other two lower tier filters from Purolator are still having tearing issues. The Boss filters are 99% @ 40 microns I believe. Not the most efficient by comparison to others available on the market. So only the Purolator Boss filters are decent enough to run except for the ADBV cuts on some sizes of filters.

How 'bout their cartridges? I ran a "Classic" L16311 about 9000 miles, nearly all in warm weather. Despite my doubts, it apparently did OK. It was 2012 vintage, constructed more like the current Pure 1 version than today's "Classic" L16311 (which is the end-capless type, like Toyota, Denso, and K&N).

Originally Posted By: CR94
How 'bout their cartridges? I ran a "Classic" L16311 about 9000 miles, nearly all in warm weather. Despite my doubts, it apparently did OK. It was 2012 vintage, constructed more like the current Pure 1 version than today's "Classic" L16311 (which is the end-capless type, like Toyota, Denso, and K&N).

I doubt they make their carts or that they have the same media as the cans.

Last I looked, we're still consistently seeing shallow jagged metal cuts into ADBVs on Purolator-made filters. Even on the Bosch ones which have media that hasn't been reported to be tearing.

i have a few white cans left in my stash and couple of reds that i picked up super cheap on clearance. i also have some bosch filters that i got on clearance

I will run what i have left in my stash but cut them open when i'm done with them to see how they do.

but as they are no longer at my local walmart and they cost too much at advance i'm probably done with them unless they become readily available again and there quality bounces back.

until then I'll still run some motorcrafts, and i've been trying the Fram TG's but the price jump might back me off of those.

so I'll be running probably Supertechs as well as other wix branded filters.

I've been thinking about ordering them in masterpacks online

Regardless of Purolators media issues, their base plates typically have nasty burrs which tear the ADBV. Dull tooling, no deburring op, no qc inspection op, employee/ company does not care, workers too cheap to purchase prescription safety glasses? What is the cause?

If I had a car that took a branded Purolator that's a rebadged German Mann, I'd use that too. I use M+H German stuff all the time. The best of the best.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I trust the remaining PSL24651 oil filters in my stash enough to run them.

I trust the 3 PureOne blue oiled media air filters in my stash enough to run them.

I trust the one Purolator Classic air filter in my stash enough to run.

I have several Mopar MO-899 oil filters in my stash I trust to run.

Beyond that, I do not trust Purolator oil filters. The new Purolator One air filters look OK to me.

I have a ~3 year old P1 in my Jeep. They are (were?) awesome filters! Great fitment and oiled media.

But I don't think I trust the company as a whole now..

Last edited:
I would absolutely buy their air filters. For the oil filters, the Classic and the Boss would be the only ones I would consider running. From all of my research, the Purolator One has a fairly restrictive flow across the media. I wonder if the tearing issue has been fixed? I wonder if priming the filter would reduce the tearing?

Nope, risk vs. reward is not worth it for me. Maybe in a few years, after countless numbers of stellar performance reports here, maybe.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Not me. I don't trust the brand anymore.

Amen!

Wix mid-tier (current design) and either the Fram EGs or TGs. I find the Ultras as built-too-restrictive, on my older model GMs.

Yes ... I recently cut open new P1/MC filters … the elements can be torn by hand very easily
M1 filters after 6k to 10k … no way. Did not bother on my FU or XP filters since they have wire.

Bottom line is Purolator has weak media … your choice but I’m done …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Yes ... I recently cut open new P1/MC filters … the elements can be torn by hand very easily
M1 filters after 6k to 10k … no way. Did not bother on my FU or XP filters since they have wire.

Bottom line is Purolator has weak media … your choice but I’m done …

Unfortunately after buying BD Plus for the Fusion … find out who makes them. (Clearance anyway)

Guess they are safe for 19HP B&S ....?

Originally Posted By: CR94

Cartridges are fine. I’ve been using them for years in the FIL’s Lexus RX350. Never an issue. The glue that keeps the media together is quite sloppy, but it’s only cosmetic.

Can’t say the same for the spin-on. Unless you plan to use the Boss, I can’t really recommend them as it doesn’t appear the tearing issues have been addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back